Ideas for paint! Help!!
lukagraham
I need to find out from various people what colour paint would work best in this room with my furniture! Help Please. I have had some wonderful ideas already but still unsure!
lucasgenevieve
I would pick a light grey out of the brick.
March 12, 2014 at 8:07AM   
lucasgenevieve
I forgot to say a warm grey that has brown in it. NOT a blue grey!
March 12, 2014 at 8:08AM     
lukagraham
That is great thank you! I was also thinking of a light grey and someone else also suggested a light grey but you always second guess yourself? If I were to go a light grey with a brown undertone what colour curtains? Take brown tone out of the cladding or go with a blue colour/ or white?
March 12, 2014 at 8:13AM   
URBAN LOFT WT & INTERIORS PHILADELPHIA
I agree that a warm grey is good...gray huskie by Benjamin Moore #1473 is an awesome choice. That fireplace is insane!
March 12, 2014 at 8:18AM   
lukagraham
Thank you! Its so nice getting compliments about your choices. I have chosen everything myself so far so its nice hearing it from others. I will enquire about that paint but I live in SA so not sure if they will have it! What would you go with for curtains?
March 12, 2014 at 8:28AM   
URBAN LOFT WT & INTERIORS PHILADELPHIA
white linen roman shade is the way to go.
March 12, 2014 at 8:29AM   
lukagraham
great! with black wrought iron curtain rails?
March 12, 2014 at 8:31AM   
carolins
I would go with something like BM Greenbrier Beige HC-79 or SW 7011, Natural Choice (a warm white) or SW 7015, Repose Gray. Question of trying colours out in your room actually.
Jane Lockhart Interior Design
east lake
Omaha Home
March 12, 2014 at 8:33AM   
URBAN LOFT WT & INTERIORS PHILADELPHIA
No rods needed, just mounted on board is sufficient and clean looking.
March 12, 2014 at 8:34AM   
Here's a Sherwin Williams "read" on the FP and an ideabook on greige.
March 12, 2014 at 8:44AM   
lukagraham
Love the ideas, thank you. Husband not a fan of roman blinds so will have to do a curtain! Any ideas on colour? Thanks to all! Makes decorating so much more fun
March 12, 2014 at 9:31AM   
lukagraham
If I go a grey on the walls what colour do I do the trim? White? I also have a picture rail dividing the wall as you can see next to the fireplace?
March 12, 2014 at 9:36AM   
carolins
Can you post some photos that show more of the room and of the windows? So we can get an idea of the entire space?
March 12, 2014 at 9:39AM   
mefor
Benjamin Moore Nantucket gray is beautiful with stone like yours :)
March 12, 2014 at 9:51AM   
mefor
White trim would look good, nice and crisp :)
March 12, 2014 at 9:52AM   
lukagraham
Here are more pics. I am taking the pelmets off and lifting the curtain rails right up. Black wrought iron ones
March 12, 2014 at 10:00AM   
sarabernhardt
I might try a pale sage green and use a cream accent color. See how it looks.
March 12, 2014 at 10:04AM   
lukagraham
Hope this helps
March 12, 2014 at 10:05AM   
carolins
Your photos need to be in jpg format. Use the Attach Images button that pops up when you click in the comment box. Or upload your photos to your ideabook, click on the photo and copy the url into your comment :-)
March 12, 2014 at 10:15AM   
lukagraham
here are the pics
March 12, 2014 at 10:18AM   
lukagraham
going to remove the pelmets and bring the curtain rail right up
March 12, 2014 at 10:29AM   
I see the wonderful herringbone wood floor and dark wood baseboards, as well as the black wrought iron light fixtures and structure. I suggest since the room is light and airy that you go mid-tone on the walls and go lighter to a creamy buff tone from the stone for your panels and other trim. Here's the depth of shade I suggest - bm river reflections (yes, your best gray is going to have a green camoflauge kind of warm / cool thing going on) http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/riverreflections
take the link for a pintrest room in this to the paint man http://www.pinterest.com/pin/244812929714434339/
or print out the image and carry that in . .
Because of your stone, test all the whites next to it. May I suggest that whatever creamy white paint you get, you add a little of the wall color to a small pot, look online for the supplies to make this into chalk paint and chalk paint the frame on your antique settee. It is clashing with your stone now, just like too white trim would. Make sure your trim color is a soft white / creamy white / antique white / spanish white tone like your walls now and it will be beautiful. thanks for inviting us to your lovely home . . .p.s the curtains should have visual weight /not sheers to stand up to the weight of the beams and floor and stone - thick velvet is not required but heavy linen would be lovely
March 12, 2014 at 10:33AM   
lucasgenevieve
If you like the chair rail paint it white otherwise paint it the same color as the walls. I would paint the same grey above and below the chair rail. If you paint the trim white use an oil semi gloss. I like the sherwin Williams pro classic. I used it on all my trim in my house. Easy to use. The smell isn't that bad. I used a gallon ice cream bucket to clean brushes. I didn't add pigment to the white paint. I agree about linen roman shades.
March 12, 2014 at 10:35AM   
TheRTAStore.com
Gray in that room would be really nice especially with that beautiful traditional chair. You could pick a nice gray out of that fabric for the walls.
March 12, 2014 at 10:55AM   
lucasgenevieve
I saw the pictures of the windows. If you have to go drapes I would hang them higher then the windows, but the window left of the fireplace won't look great with drapes. Tell your husband you will compromise and you will give him his drapes on the large window and you get your roman shade on the window left of fireplace. Use same fabric if you can. If he goes for it I would hang the roman shade high enough that when it is pulled up all the way you see the entire window. (Meaning no roman shade covering the window panes. By doing this it will appear the window to be taller. If possible try to get the drapes and roman shade hung at the same height. Or close.
March 12, 2014 at 11:54AM     
lucasgenevieve
I think drapes on the windows on each side of fireplace is going to look tight when opened. Meaning you are going to cover the window panes. The sconces are too close to windows and you are going to not see sconces. Sconces will be lost. I would replace sconces with larger ones. Something interesting and unique. Make a statement!
March 12, 2014 at 12:02PM   
lucasgenevieve
I think your husband is wrong about drapes. I just realized you have sconces on either side of the large window too. Drapes are wrong!! Compromise with him in some other way. Get sconces before drapes. Then buy some cheap drapes at store and have 2 people hold up panels and show him. Say you see now the sconces are hiding behind drapes. Tell him fire hazard. Drapes are to close to sconces and could catch fire!
March 12, 2014 at 12:10PM   
lukagraham
thank you Libradesigneye. Would you go with curtains or roman blinds on the windows? I dont know??
March 13, 2014 at 12:27AM   
What if you layer - I can see gene's point about roman shades flanking the fireplace, but I also think with a hard floor and a high ceiling that the sound properties of adding thick drapery will be welcome. Can you do both on the larger windows but only the romans on the small set by the fire? Take off the pelmets and hang the roman shades so they only reach the top of the glass when open - letting all your light in. Then, set the drapery rod 1' wider at each end so the drapery panels can stack back until nighttime.. This can even be done in phases for the budget, though you may want to plan the textile mix out in advance.
March 13, 2014 at 8:12AM   
HELP! Need help on idea of what color to paint my kitchen cabinets!
Need help with what color to paint cabinets and island....
paint cabinets white? countertop ideas? help!
I'm redoing my kitchen in a house I don't currently...
Help with paint/decoration ideas for girls bedroom
Just bought a home, looking for paint suggestions and...
Need help with paint ideas
Just had a new roof installed. It has lots of brown...
Protecting new cabinetry during final construction
I just had some beautiful new kitchen cabinets installed...
Need Living Room Design Help
We just purchased a new house and I need a fresh design...
kitchen sink doesn't fit!
Our cabinets were just installed and the granite rep...
Want a new paint colour for living room
I just painted my dining room and now my living room...