Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mathomson5

Free standing tub fillers: stability w/o wall support - brackets?

mathomson5
10 years ago
I am renovating a master bath and replacing a large 72x42" alcove tub with a free standing tub -- the new 72" x 42" tub will be six inches from an exterior wall along the 72" side and on the 42" sides will be only six inches from two glass walls -- one for the shower on the right, and on the left, a glass wall for the toilet. The glass doors to the shower and the toilet closet are to be neo-angled, but there is not enough space for an adult to use a tub filler placed between the tub and the exterior wall without first stepping into the tub. Therefore, I selected a free standing tub filler, a traditional style recently discontinued model from Porcher, that is very similar to many others currently on the market. I paid about ten percent of list, so I am sure I can sell it if it does not work out. However, it would be nice to save some money, and it is attractive. Recently I realized that I cannot install this tub filler on the interior side of the 72" side of the tub because the manufacturer states that these models do require a wall to be stable. The new risers are not compatible with this older model, but are similar to other traditionally styled "English telephone" tub fillers whose risers are curved near the faucet, about 26-29" above the floor. The wall supports are located about six inches off the floor. I researched other tub fillers that do not require wall supports and have found some with and some without a bracket in between the risers. I could convert the wall supports into a bracket to be used between the risers -- add in addition add support below the floor, and even purchase a third bracket for higher up on the risers, below the tub deck. Will this be enough? Should I just give up on having a free standing tub filler and install a deck faucet -- I have a flat deck Bain Ultra tub, and would install the new Kohler Artifacts deck mounted three piece faucet plus hose. Kohler has a new arc faucet for the Artifacts that is 9" long, and would provide a water flow that arcs into the tub without hitting the interior handles on the Bain Ultra, but I would prefer to leave the tub deck free; drilling holes in a $6,000 tub is a daunting task for even an experienced plumber. I cannot use Kohler tub fillers (Finial works stylistically) because they are suitable for use only with Kohler free standing tubs. Other brand suggestions are welcome. My question for Houzzers is: are these free standing tub fillers inherently unstable unless connected to the tub drain, like Kohlers, or the wall? Some contemporary styles have only one riser, not two -- are these risers thicker, and do they become unstable over time? If I install the two-riser free standing tub filler, with supports as described, and it becomes unstable, how do I enhance the support without interfering with the aesthetics of the free standing tub? Thanks so much, everyone -- your experience is invaluable!

Comment (1)