What should I put on this shelf?
dlillwitz
My husband put this shelf over our sliding glass doors that go into our yard from the kitchen. Not sure what to put on it. I don't want to junk it up with random stuff. I've added some photos of the kitchen and a photo of the curtain over the sink
Mark Wisecarver
You know what would be awesome there? Ask family members and guests to donate talking point objects. i.e. College football helmet, hockey skates from first competition, flowers from a music event, etc. it could be the most awesome shelf ever.
2 Likes   March 12, 2014 at 7:26PM
rocketjcat
Duplicate post
0 Likes   March 12, 2014 at 10:32PM
jhx1
What about a plate/platter collection that has patterns that relate to the colors and patterns in your roman blinds?

Perhaps an oval platter in the center and plates on the sides...
5 Likes   March 12, 2014 at 10:38PM
kmkane
is this a duplicate post? Then I'll ask another question. Why did husband put the shelf there in the first place? Why don't you ask him?
2 Likes   March 12, 2014 at 10:49PM
pattlparker
I would take black and white photos, all framed in the same black frames (same size too), and lean them against the wall rather than using their easels. Space them about 4 inches apart.

P.Parker
Veronica Fox Interior Embellishments
2 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 9:14AM
pattlparker
I also have comments on other comments.
The idea of paraphernalia, sports objects, etc. would be terribly tacky looking in my opinion. That type of display belongs on a bookcase in another room and not on that shelf!!!!!
As for the question of why your husband put it there, I will say that putting a shelf above a long glass area-window or sliding doors is a nice way to embellish the space and to place something that adds interest to the decor. I say kudos to your hubby for his creativity and vision!
3 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 9:23AM
14thstreet
Maybe something like what I did above my cabinets? I used framed photos and scrap book paper.
]
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 9:23AM
dlillwitz
Thanks for all the great ideas. I will post a photo when I get it finished!!!
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 12:55PM
rocketjcat
Duplicate post. Other comments and ideas can be found on this one. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/891240/What-should-I-put-on-this-shelf-
2 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 3:35PM
quercus2
Take it down. Putting stuff on the shelf clutters up the room and it's dangerous to have things above door.
3 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 7:22AM
Interior Enhancements of Indianapolis
Heavy... colorful glass bottles or ceramics in your color scheme. Just a collection in a vignette of maybe 5-7 items in various proportions. You can find some really interesting and inexpensive items for this at many thrift stores or Homegoods. Just make sure they are secure for slamming doors, maybe add sticky tack on the bottom edge of each piece when final arrangement is decoded on. Hope this helps!
2 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 7:29AM
rocketjcat
I think it makes your door look squatty and would suggest moving to to the family room,perhaps over the passthrough window, if you like it up high out of the way and only for decoration. Or maybe under the pass through window in the kitchen to hold some cookbooks where it could be functional. I would make another pretty roman shade to match the one you made in the kitchen window for over the patio door. This is a duplicate post. Other ideas are posted on your other post.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 3:22AM
teachctt
Fake silk plants.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 3:48AM
jesker
Love your curtain. Definitely need to pick up a couple of those colors in some objects on the shelf. I found some interesting and fairly inexpensive painted glass plates and bottles on Etsy, or if you are more crafty than I am, you can probably make similar items yourself. Items like that would be fitting on a shelf that is in a kitchen. Homegoods and Pier One might have some interesting things, or look for local shops that are artisan co-ops (or Etsy) Keep the scale of the items appropriate for that space, too many/too small will look like clutter, but a couple of unique and interesting pieces that suit your style will look great.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 5:17AM
leelee
You could mount a curtain rod on the bottom of the shelf. Agree with Lara, esp. about small pictures that no one can see and fake plants.
1 Like   Thanked by dlillwitz    March 18, 2014 at 6:00AM
rocketjcat
@14th street, love your backsplash. I would like something similar for my fireplace surround. Could you please share what it is and where you got it? Thanks!
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 6:10AM
kmkane
Goodness gracious, NO FAKE SILK PLANTS! Will someone please nuke them off the planet forever?
1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 1:31PM
dlillwitz
To Rocketjcat - We bought the back splash at either Home Depot or Menards. It is just a plain white shiny tile. I believe they had it at most of the big box hardware stores and we bought the little brown squares there as well as the rope edge. Put it up about 5 years ago so not sure if they will till have it.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 1:52PM
14thstreet
@rocketjcat - sorry I didn't catch your question here. :) Glad you contacted me otherwise. We used a similar tile in a square 2x2 shape for the surround on our downstairs fireplace and it turned out nice also.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 1:57PM
1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 2:06PM
LB Interiors
I would put three vases in a group, varied heights, colors and shapes on the left about 16" from the edge. At the right of center some book boxes, or small trunks or wood branches.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 2:32PM
LB Interiors
You should CLOSE ONE OF THE POSTS.
1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 2:38PM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Big, colorful, jolting cookie jars. End to end.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 5:09PM
jesker
A colorful clock
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 5:58PM
LB Interiors
Silk plants can be a welcome addition to bring in nature. There some beautiful ones used in the right way for those who do not have a green thumb. I don't have as much of a problem with them as many on houzz seem to have. Guess I'm in the minority.

1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 6:15PM
Genevieve
Sorry! but I don't think that putting anything like vases up on the shelf is wise ,when the door is sliding vibration would cause the vases or anything else to move gradually and eventually fall on the floor or on someone's head unless there was a little railing added to the front of it .
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 6:22PM
How about some abstract art? Lemme know what you think;)
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 6:29PM
Genevieve
Sure Margo :) but a small ledge to hold it
1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 6:34PM
Genevieve- LOL- it is a joke;))
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 6:35PM
Genevieve
I can feel it Margo LOL but here is a nice one just in case . I still think that the hubby should add a little strip on front of it .

0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 6:41PM
lovebugsmom
Baskets that coordinate with your beautiful window covering .
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 6:41PM
remike
Take the shelve down. Falling object hazard
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 8:25PM
opinions on painting EXTERIOR BRICK HOUSE
i have built a small country house,its time to paint!!...
Need design ideas to add "curb appeal" to exterior
Trying to come up with inexpensive & creative ways...
Need advice for powder room decore
What should I do powder room ceiling lighting and vanity...
Choosing Bathroom Tile!
I need your advice on choosing tile for our Master...
Color dilemma
Any advice as to what color to paint dated end tables...