French, chic white ideas for our new lounge area

Danny TylerMarch 13, 2014
Hi we have just had a offer accepted for our new house and we interested in some great ideas from you design experts on here, we not the best at designing, so any help, ideas be appreciated

I have attached a pic of the front room, we thinking of maybe putting the TV on the chimney breast with AV equipment to the side and open remote fire underneath

Thanks guys
Christine
Congratulations on your new home! I like the idea of repositioning your tv to the wall across from the couch. I might switch out the coffee table if you have someplace else to use it. All the wood in the room seems too "matchy-matchy." There are also a lot of rectangles. Adding a circular side table or even circular motif in the art or something could help. From the pic, the love seat seems to be blocking a path into the room, though I can't tell if it's in fact too large for the space. Another picture or two could help. Some plants, art, and a bit of color in throw pillows will help the room to look more finished. Good luck.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 8:03AM
Danny Tyler
Thanks Christine, all this furniture is not ours, it's what's in there now, so when we move in, it be a blank canvus

We like the cottage white wood furniture and light wood Finnish on top
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 8:09AM
Danny - welcome to Houzz and congratulations. This room has terrific proportions. I'm going to suggest you get a sofa small enough to face the window but walk around it on the left- with a sofa table behind it as you enter the space - the sofa should be on the far side of the arch above adn the sofa table can be on this side of the arch above. Try a pair of great lamps on the sofa table. Right now, the long sofa on the long wall makes the entire room feel more long and narrow. The tv placement sounds ideal, then I would find two great, very comfortable chairs to place at the window end. Put ottomans at these so they will be the place that you lay out / put your feet up instead of the loveseat / apartment sized sofa.
Put an end table between the two chairs so there is a place to rest a drink. Look for something unusual as a coffee table in front of the fire and sofa - an antique bench for instance. Don't buy a matching set of anything (except perhaps the chairs/ottomans).

On the wall opposite the fireplace, where you have shifted circulation, a shallow bar cabinet might be the trick with large modern art canvas above. In fact, I recommend that you shop for one large art canvas as the first step. That piece of art can be your color inspiration. Keep everything light and neutral except the art and later, pillows, a throw for the sofa, accessories at the bar.

If you can, you may want to pull up the carpet and see if you have wood underneath. If so, it can be sanded and stained blonde to add to the white backdrop you like. Leave the walls as is for that, use soft neutrals (maybe light greiges / oatmeal) for your upholstery and then give shots of color in some graphic pillows to echo whatever colors are in the art you love. You may eventually want to add a contermporary wool rug - but for the look you love, keep its colors quiet .. cream and gray.
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 8:30AM
Christine
Even better! I love the idea of some modern lines combined with a french cottage vibe. Find some inspiration pics you love. Start with one or two pieces (furniture or accents) that you really love and let that be your inspiration. It's a narrow room and so some streamlined furniture might help achieve the right scale; a sectional could work if you want the chaise option. Matching or coordinating tables to either side of the fireplace area would look nice and would give you surfaces to style- adding interesting objects and decor. Organic elements will make the space interesting- natural fibers, woods... Make sure to measure that space so you have the dimensions when you shop. What are your favorite colors? Don't forget plants and lighting and probably an area rug. How wonderful to have a blank slate to work with!
    Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 8:35AM
Help bring my Dream of having an Eclectic, Chic Home Office together!
I can't seem to bring my Home Office together and obtain...
Say Swear
Need help making my kitchen more shabby chic/farmhouse!
Hello, My husband & I bought our home 15 months...
meganlanephotos
How to 'warm up' our lounge by decorating the cement wall behind wood burner
We cant afford to repaint the lounge walls (beige)...
sunnyhill
Small Living Area Ideas Needed
I just found out that I am allergic to a chemical in...
Heather S
Help with finishing touches in industrial chic dining room
I had such a wonderful experience with my first post...
Yeli
Do you believe that some houses have "bad energy?"
Do you believe that there is just something about some...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Stefanie
Dining room colour ideas. Help!
My dining room is not huge, seats 8 has bi-folding...
kirsty shore
I need help with bedroom n livingroom
Hi, I started to redo my appartment, and Im stuck with...
Ahmed Alyahiawi
Is it hard to maintain copper hoods in kitchens
ncullen