Living Room Before & After
Design Connection, Inc
March 13, 2014 in Before & After
Wanting to keep the comfort of their home, yet bring its design into this century, these homeowners enlisted the help of Design Connection, Inc. to update their great room. Usually, we take measurements, create a digital footprint of each room and come up with a space plan before we start having fun selecting colors and fabrics. These homeowners happened to fall in love with a bolt of fabric that was sitting on a shelf in my office. This fabric swatch set the design in motion and was selected for the drapery, sitting chair and throw pillows.

Wanting to maintain the traditional look of their eye-catching fireplace, we decided against mounting the TV above the mantel. We designed custom cabinets that flank each side of the fireplace and discreetly house the television components. By faux painting these cabinets using the color of the surrounding walls, this dominating feature wall effortlessly blends in with the rest of this space. The dark aqua accent wall brings this room to life as a focal point against the brick fireplace and is paired perfectly with the colors in the fabrics and drapery.

Because this room is used for lots of lounging and relaxing, creating comfortable custom furnishings was key in this design. Our clients love the new leather ottoman that is large enough to share and enjoy from nearly every seat in this living space. The updated lamps with large, round shades, the metallic wall art and accessories complete the look of this newly transformed, comfortable living space by Design Connection, Inc.
dyliane
Very nice, I don't like the artwork near the fireplace, but it is my personal opinion. Congratulations!
March 13, 2014 at 9:47AM        Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
soberg
Beautiful paint color and built-ins on fireplace wall! (Did you do something to the fireplace to make it darker somehow?)
March 13, 2014 at 9:52AM        Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
DC Interiors & Renovations
Nice work!
March 13, 2014 at 10:23AM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
Christine Smith
Oh my....that is gorgeous!
March 13, 2014 at 5:08PM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
Michael Lee, Inc
very nice! I really like the update!
March 13, 2014 at 6:33PM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
Laura Weeks
Gorgeous!
March 13, 2014 at 6:37PM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
Design Connection, Inc
dyliane, Thank you for your comment! The artwork isn't my style, either, but this piece was the perfect fit for my clients. That is one of the many challenges I love about being an interior designer; putting my personal taste aside, understanding my client's personal style and creating a design that they love.
March 13, 2014 at 7:54PM     
Design Connection, Inc
soberg, thanks for your interest in our design. In regards to the fireplace looking darker: If you can believe it, we did NOTHING to the fireplace. That is the power of paint!.

Against the bland beige walls, the fireplace looked dated. The new dark teal backdrop really makes this fireplace stand out and brings out the dark tones in the brick. Even the mortar looks whiter and brighter!
March 13, 2014 at 7:59PM     
Cyndy
Beautiful job - and IMO, the homeowners chose gorgeous art beside the fireplace :)
March 13, 2014 at 8:55PM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
Brandi Nash Hicks
Some people are rude ,you do not have to say what you do not like ,the room has been made over and at this point it is just being mean.Lovely room by the way
March 13, 2014 at 10:59PM        Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
bluvelvet222
Beautiful room! So warm and inviting.
March 13, 2014 at 11:18PM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
Susan Bird
Love it! Fantastic!
March 14, 2014 at 12:58AM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
123 Remodeling Inc.
Beautiful. What a great transformation!
March 14, 2014 at 9:53AM        Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
sjk6
What did you do to the brick on the fireplace? Just a cleaning? I'm looking to do the same thing and was wondering what kind of products to use.
March 20, 2014 at 8:53PM   
wheaton15
Lovely! Can you please tell me what the wall color is & where the drapes & cushions are from or were they custom made? Thanks
March 22, 2014 at 9:43AM   
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
The fact that you did nothing to the brick is unbelievable to me. The before and after pictures are really going to inspire people here--thanks for sharing.
March 22, 2014 at 3:53PM      Thanked by Design Connection, Inc
Design Connection, Inc
wheaton15, the wall color was a custom mix using Benjamin Moore paints. Many paint stores that offer color matching can do so directly from your mobile device. If you are hoping to duplicate this color, bookmark this photo & bring your tablet or phone with you when shopping for paint or swatches. The drapery and the furniture was custom created in our design studio. If you would like more information on how to create this look, please contact Arlene at (913) 210-0511 or Arlene@DesignConnectionInc.com
March 22, 2014 at 4:20PM   
Before and After Living Room, Dining Room and Kitchen Renovation
We recently purchased this house. It wasn't in great...
Before and after living room and dining room remodel
This home was original from 1964. We updated the entire...
Living room before and after photos
The home had carpet in the living room, dining room,...
Before and After Living Room
After deciding to rip down a wall to open up our living...
ideas for my bathroom and stairs
hi i am just moving to new house ..and i found the...
Please help with window treatment
I started sewing these curtains but I hate the fabric...
kitchen wood compatibility
I am renovating my kitchen. I like the classic look;...
Best flooring for big dogs?
I have 4 high energy dogs, 2 of them are large. What...
Help for color
Hello, I've buy this and not yet sure for the color...