Need help - Good floor plan for extension
distwo
Hi,

I am considering extending my house to gain some space for the living room as well as closet space.
The house is 1190sqft as of today but sit on a 10,000sqft lot, which leaves plenty of space to expand.

I am trying to find a way to maximize existing space and extend without having to change the current roof line hoping that it would minimize the cost.

The house is right now in perfect condition with some nice materials (heated porcelain floor, crown molding, textured wall, sound proof windows,...). I would like to keep the same standard to have a consistency in the house, but I am afraid of the cost.

My budget is somewhere around $80K and I ideally would like to gain 400sqft.

I scratched my head to imagine something that would be nice and you can see attached what I came up with.

First picture is the house as of now, second picture, what I came up with.

Thanks for your help!
Chris
Not crazy about the lack of separation between the public and private spaces.
March 13, 2014 at 7:57PM      Thanked by distwo
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
The location of the addition works with your desire to add without changing the roof lines..........However, the design that you have come up with does not work.

You need the help and experience of an architect to make the most out of the space.

You are removing interior walls and the space that you are ending up with is awkward, plus you are not really gaining much with all that change.

Also that existing roof is going to need support once you remove all those walls.

How much room to you have on the right side of the house? Can you add in that direction ?

With your tight budget, I would try hard to keep the existing master bathroom where it is, but expand it......

What is the existing roof line?

My initial thought would be to push out the master bedroom to the right, adding about 5 or 6 feet. This way you can still use the bathroom and expand upon it. This frees up the additon to the rear for a little more master bedroom / bath plus a family room.........
March 13, 2014 at 8:26PM        Thanked by distwo
distwo
I just attached the aerial view of the house. The backyard is pretty much done which is why I was considering expanding that way. Sorry I forgot to mention that in my first post.

The space on the side of the master bedroom is very limited, it's basically the size of a one car driveway.

I had a contractor come to give me an estimate, his idea was to push the backyard wall out. This is of course the best in term of floor plan as you keep a square shape house, but it adds the backyard remodeling cost on top of the house work. His estimate, only for the house work, was somewhere close to 180 - 200K just to add 300sqft...

This is why I'm gathering ideas to expand my options.

I'm open to any suggestion, I even considered a basement, which I was told is very expensive.

Is building up a good alternative?
March 14, 2014 at 8:44AM   
Denita
Where are you located? In the US or somewhere else? If the US, what state? The high price is the contractor's way of telling you he was in way over his head. That price is too high even if you take into account fixed expenses that run the price up per sf on smaller additions (because you can't take advantage of economies of scale).

I know pricing changes by the region, but some contractors really don't know how to price. Your price is about 400% too high. :( It tells me that the contractor was saying 'no' to the job. For example, my daughter put in a master bedroom and master bath (plus moved a bath and other major items) addition of 596 sf for $80k 6 months ago in the Scottsdale AZ region. That is probably mid range for additions. Others can chime in...but the most critical point of information is your geographical location.
March 14, 2014 at 8:54AM      Thanked by distwo
distwo
Oh yes, I reckon the location is an important factor.

I am in California, in San Francisco Bay Area.
March 14, 2014 at 8:59AM   
Denita
Ok then...your prices are much higher in general. Someone from that area can give you more guidance if $667/sf+ is a market rate or not in your city for an addition.
March 14, 2014 at 9:29AM   
I need a good site for floor plans for a ranch style home
I am wanting to build a ranch style home. 4000 sq ft....
need help with deciding if open plan lving is good for our new house
New house, in plannning stages,small plot backing onto...
HELP!!! House remodeling - is this a good floor plan?
I don't think I fully utilize all the spaces. Any...
HELP!!! House remodeling - is this good floor plan?
Attached are the existing layout and proposed new layout....
Advice on floor plan design for cal bunga renovation/extension
We are currently trying to work out the best floor...
Need advice for kitchen ?
We have venetian gold granite and will be putting in...
Please Help!!! Stain or Paint Kitchen Cabinets?
Please help! I moved into my boyfriend's house about...
Quartz vs granite
Which countertop is cheaper?
Need help for my living room.
I went to a well known store and bought brown couch...