Suggestions for exterior colors: windows, trim, roof
pptpt
Hoping for advice from a little outside the box. We are renovating our grandparents traditional ranch with antique brick exterior. We are pushing the reno and design toward modern, with rustic influences. I would love to use Marvin Hampton Sage windows in this home. Am I crazy?? I would love to hear suggestions for trim colors, and roof colors to compliment the green windows. I have been playing with black/almost black trim, but this may be too dramatic. Any thoughts?
apple_pie_order
Have you had the brick cleaned? Sometime it's hard to tell true colors when there's moss or dust on the exterior walls. Do you have a close-up photo of a three-foot square area of brick showing the color variation? Can't tell true colors on a monitor, of course, but the extent of variation can be shown.

What are your plans for the trees near the foundation and the other foundation plantings?
0 Likes   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 8:00AM
garden design online
a design
0 Likes   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 8:31AM
I would go for the black or charcoal gray with the green;)

2 Likes   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 8:35AM
anne dee
How does this ranch style appeal to you?

1 Like   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 8:38AM
garden design online
Lose a pic.I try again
0 Likes   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 8:43AM
pptpt
Thank all of you for the comments. Apple Pie Order (did you know it is national pie day today?), the brick has not been cleaned. It does have quite a bit of moss on it which I like very much. All the trees will stay, my grandmother would come back to haunt me of we removed any. The landscaping will be updated, but not in the near future. We are adding a large dormer on the back as well as a covered back porch with a gabled roof.
Anne Dee, beautiful home, but way too traditional for me. Garden Design Online, beautiful idea. Lots to consider.
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 11:02AM
pptpt
New pics, these are the only ones I have that are closer. The brick is basically a light red, with lots of black, green, and brown variations. The undertone of salmon/pinkish is apparent when the brick is broken.
0 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 11:14AM
apple_pie_order
Very pretty brick colors. How about getting some Hampton Sage paint to paint up a few boards to prop near the current windows? You can trim foamcore into strips that mimic the new windows' widths.

If the trees have not been looked after recently, you might get an arborist in for a consultation on care and when they need light pruning. Trees very near a house can do a lot of damage. Preventive trimming can reduce the possibility of damage significantly. Big lush trees can be wonderful in a yard.
0 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 12:09PM
pptpt
Thank you for your comment. Since these pics were taken, all the trees have been pruned and are all very healthy. I have painted several of the old aluminum windows the sage color, and I love it against the brick. My conundrum is the trim color for the siding as well as the roof color. Any suggestions.?
0 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 12:26PM
apple_pie_order
Try the Sherwin Williams paint visualizer to change the roof color and siding colors. It's fun.
0 Likes   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 12:29PM
apple_pie_order
You can "sample" the colors of various brand name roofing material with the Sherwin Williams tool. Just find the roofing photos on the web.
0 Likes   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 12:30PM
anne dee
since you are moving toward a modern look will you be keeping the shutters?
0 Likes   Thanked by pptpt    March 14, 2014 at 12:34PM
pptpt
No, the shutters have been removed. I really like the simplicity of the windows. We will be removing the wrought iron and replacing with simple square wood columns. The current flat porch roof will be pitched and metal roofing added, shingles on the remainder of the roof. Thank you, apple pie, for the Sherwin Williams tip. I haven't ventured past the BM store that is practically across my street.
0 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 12:42PM
anne dee
thanks for the up date .
0 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 12:51PM
Nikolas Bahtinov interior design & architecture
Brick is OK ! It's better to change roof to green color and change sliding ( too large scale for little house )
0 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 1:01PM
anne dee
here is a pic for yr ref with dark green window trim
Maybe it will help with perspective as to other colours in this pic
the siding appears to be a cream or very light green colour
I think it looks nice
1 Like   March 14, 2014 at 1:25PM
Victors Roofing
Just a little input from a roofing pro, recommend you begin looking at the CertainTeed Landmark series shingles and have a reputable contractor help you choose or make alternative suggestions. As with any kind of project, be sure to use the company name on Google to determine if you really want them working on your grandparents home. Bad contractors have a hard time hiding from Google.

Here's similar home that might inspire you:
0 Likes   March 14, 2014 at 2:08PM
Exterior window and Trim color suggestions for Stone house
We are going to paint the windows, shutters, trim and...
Exterior design suggestions for new roof, siding, windows, and shutters
Due to hail damage, we are getting a new roof, siding,...
Suggestions for roof color & exterior paint color?!
We are remodeling an older home, and tackling the exterior....
Buyers remorse or OCD? New house, new stuff, no clue!
We just moved into our new custom home and I can't...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
garage bonus room - blank slate. What to do?
I have a big room above the garage - 22x20 with 9...
Which wall color to chose for rooms
Need claasy color suggestion for rooms..have immense...
Stainless Replacement Panels?
Does anyone make front panels for dishwashers? I have...