What color scheme goes well with a vaulted ceiling and adjoining walls

bksamuelMarch 14, 2014
Hello Everyone. I just bought a condo with a vaulted ceiling. I am in painting dilemma. I definitely want to create a masculine contrast between the ceiling and the adjoining walls. Also, I would like to take advantage of the architectural element the kitchen area and make it stand out from the rest of the room. I need help please! Any advise?
That chair rail should be pretty easy to remove. If you're looking for a somewhat contemporary look for your lovely new condo, then I would remove it. Then I'd paint the
back wall that connects the dining area with the kitchen in an accent color and I'd continue the color around to the other kitchen wall that connects then to the doorway. The color would end where the walls ends to the left of the doorway. If you keep the chair rail, then just paint above and below it, leaving the chair rail itself white.

Alternately, if you think that that part of the room is already dark enough, you could choose to paint either the fireplace wall or the big wall opposite the fireplace in the accent color.

So what is to be your accent color? It could be a darker shade of the existing wall color, or it could be a different color that you like that would go with any existing furniture you have.
Let me know what you think of this idea and what colors you might be considering.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 6:45PM
bksamuel
Thanks Carolyn. I like your ideas. I am definitely going for contemporary look and will be removing chair rails. As for the colors, I like darker and masculine with a contemporary look. Below are examples of colors I would like. I'd like to know your thoughts on those. Also, do you have any idea what I should paint the ceiling? I was thinking bright white if I'm going with dark colors like these.
    Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 7:10PM
I would keep the ceiling either white or a light color to match some of the walls. With a vaulted ceiling , I would not paint too much of the room a dark color as it will be hard to light it. That's why I suggested just one or two walls in a deeper color. Please tell me the paint brand and color currently on the walls. Then I could perhaps suggest a darker color to go with it.
    Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 7:39PM
bksamuel
These are the original paints. I don't know what brand the previous owner used, but the color is definitely canvas tan. I too was concerned it might get a bit darker with those dark colors, but there is a big window on the other side of the living area with natural lighting (see pic below-never mind those hideous drapes will gone in a heart bit). I was wondering if I can capitalize that. I also plan on adding a few more recessed lighting. What do you think? I do agree creating the accent color either by the fire place or the opposite wall as you suggested yesterday.
    Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 6:06AM
I'm glad to hear you're going to add more lighting because windows are wonderfully helpful in the daytime, but not at night. I see no floor outlets! Why do builders do that to us?

To help you in selecting an accent wall, look at the room during the daytime, noting which wall or walls might look glaringly light/bright.

A color I like for your accent wall is Sherwin-Williams Tony Taupe. SW Mink is another possibility. But for any color you are seriously considering, It's best to buy a sample jug, paint the color on a large poster board and look at the color in daylight and at night. You may want to wait until you have some furniture to select a color.

I'm hoping you showed us that picture of the bed only for the wall color. That kind of bed with a platform that extends beyond the mattress takes up a huge amount of space, and causes much bruising and bad language at night. If you have high ceilings in your bedroom, a nice tall headboard on the bed would be my preference.
    Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 6:38AM
bksamuel
Thanks...I like those two suggestions Carolyn. Definitely will consider them in my decisions. What do you suggest for the remaining walls? Are considering to leave the existing canvas tan? Do you also have a suggestion to what kind of white to go with the ceiling?

As for the bed room pic,that was just for the color. I have a decent size bed room, but that platform bed is way too big. I am considering a bed with a bigger headboard by considering the high ceiling. Below are some of the bedroom looks I am going with including the wall color. Let me know what you think?
    Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 8:16AM
I like Z Gallerie's West St. bed in leather. Take your paint color with you when you select a leather headboard. I like an upholstered headboard because you can mix other furniture pieces with it and it will all go together but it won't all match...variety is good. Restoration Hardware also has some nice beds, as do other sources. You'll want your headboard to be lighter or darker than your wall color, but not the same.

If you have a big closet you will not need a large dresser, tho you may want a media console for a second TV. With a large bedroom, you could select large night stands.
Or you could select pieces similar to the one below and wall mount them at the height of your mattress. You could also wall mount a media console. If you have a maid, she'll love the way she can vacuum under these wall mounted pieces.

West Street Bed · More Info

Infinity Contemporary Night Stand · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 8:58AM
Regarding your walls, I like SW Alabaster for the other walls and ceilings if you're going to repaint everything. If you don't want to repaint everything, you could leave them as they are for awhile.
I frequently paint walls and ceilings the same color.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 9:01AM
bksamuel
Carolyn I think I'm going with SW 6004 Mink for the accent wall, and as for the adjoining walls may leave it as is or go with SW 7008 Alabaster. As far as furniture goes, I have the following two to choose from, but again the dilemma. Which one do think goes well with the color scheme I mentioned above? I am also debating if I should change the laminated floor to washed grayish below. I wanted to go with urban/ industrial look for flooring. Therefore, considering the paint, the furniture and flooring I mentioned...do you think anyone of them will clash?
    Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 11:31AM
You seem to be getting too much gray in your condo. I like accent walls in grey because they are easy enough to change, but I wouldn't go for a gray floor. Gray has been popular long enough now that in 5 years, give or take, we're all going to be sick of it. I chose grayish/brown flooring for a house 5 years ago, and a slightly grayer brown floor for a condo 2 years ago, but I would not go as gray as you are considering today, and would also hesitate to replace a laminate with another laminate.

I like the darker sofa, but either would be fine. You can see the color in person and I cannot. With either sofa I'd like you to look at the rug shown below. It comes in a couple of similar colors so I hope you can see both.

Loloi Viera Collection VIERVR-04GY003A57 Rug · More Info
    Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 12:38PM
bksamuel
What do you suggest for hardwood flooring? I am not completely satisfied with my current flooring, it looks cheap and making it difficult to vision the look with the furniture and areal rug I wanted to go with. I think it is a little lighter for my test. I was actually going for grayish brown initially, but I just could find it anywhere. I like to see the wooden grain on hardwood floor, and this was the closest I can get but it might be too gray as you mentioned. Below is the finished product. It doesn't look gray as much, but then again it could the lighting.
    Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 2:18PM
You need to see some of the flooring in person to be sure of the color. If you're going to be in your condo for 10 years, you might want to get something with a more enduring color. I frequently ask my clients to look for a medium brown that isn't too red or too yellow. We designers usually prefer a finish that is not very shiny, or not shiny at all. A white oak with a natural finish is lovely.
    Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 5:24PM
I need help in my living room color scheme
Am renting a house where Im not allowed to paint or...
amisty
Wall Color help needed
Hi, We are in the process or redoing our kitchen and...
Mary Grant Justin
Need color help updating oak kitchen with 3 sided fireplace!
I'm new to Houzz. We just bought this house and aren't...
lisspi
Family room-What to with walls and celiling.
Paint the wood? Leave the wood? Take down the wood...
susan315
Low Ceilings
I've got the low ceiling blues and a limited reno budget....
beeloved
Question about my kitchen
We bought our house 2 years ago and is now around 10...
Marie Merritt
Dark living room
Any ideas on how to brighten up this room? New lighter...
lclarke718
Need tile / back splash help
Hi, Our new kitchen cabinet will have ivory for top...
Sudha
grout width for 16 x 16"" floor tile
What grout width looks best with 16 x 16 inch Mannington...
whitsuz