Need help with color scheme - olive sofa
dasmy
I have a moderate size living room with an olive green sofa set (pic attached). The current color scheme is bland due to the neutral accents (curtain + pillows etc). I want to revamp this living room without changing the wall paint, add some color and go for a more contemporary look. I was thinking of purchasing this table. http://www.havertys.com/Product_45659
What are the rules surrounding the size of the area rug? Right now i have an 8x10 and i feel it takes up too much space.

Any ideas (pictures/links will be very helpful) on color schemes for this living room set and what to look for for the following:
- area rugs
- throw pillows
- curtains
- coffee table
- end table
- console table (if needed) to replace what is pictured
- lamp
- wall art
- other accessories
- accent chairs and area rug - i have a dining area in the same space to the right that i would like to turn into a sitting area possibly an accent chair and a nesting table (the 3rd pic is a similar layout to my dining area which is currently empty). I have this set in mind but not sure how to incorporate it --- http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Signature-Tan-Linen-Slipper-Chair/5203265/product.html?refccid=RWRPU5OPZSCJJE2OI6EDYDPTTQ&searchidx=18

I just want everything to blend in with the olive green sofa set and I am having such a hard time making it work in my head. I've been back and forth between olive green + burnt orange, olive green + plum but cant seem to get any visual ideas online..Hope this clear. Thank you very much!
chromacurve
What a great palette to add color! If you're a traveler I sugg adding something from where you've traveled. Also, as a color designer I look at lighting and the type of lighting. If you haven't used GE's Reveal bulbs you should. They make colors much more "real".
3 Likes   Thanked by dasmy    March 15, 2014 at 12:05PM
junoniad
Hi Dasmy,

I can't tell what color you have on the wall (taupe, maybe?), but it is quite a contrast with the gold and red colors in the next room. The problem going on in the olive room is the neutrality and darkness of the whole space. I would start with a rug that can liven up the space and pull the olive and taupe in with a bunch of other spicy colors. Here's an idea since you mentioned contemporary: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Rodeo-Drive-Collage-Rust-Gold-N.Z.-Wool-Rug-6-x-9/3994278/product.html?refccid=24ZFEB36F5AIP7CKB5QC3DIKG4&searchidx=13

If you don't like the 8x10, go down to 5x 7 or 6x9

I would also ditch all of those throw pillows and bring home some fabric swatches once your chosen new rug is in place. Pick your favorite colors and textures that blend with the rug and have some pillows custom made in that fabric. You can even make slipcovers for the current pillows to save on the pillow inserts.

Your slipper chair is nice, but I think a warmer neutral may be appropriate for this room. Everything in this room so far is a cool neutral. You notice all the art that Cassie posted is warm. You definitely need to warm this space up!
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 12:18PM
It's very hard to see the colors in your room. Is it always this dark? Perhaps better lighting would make the room less bland.

Olive green is almost neutral itself, so either orange or plum would be great counterpoints. You might also consider navy. Here are some inspirational color palettes: Modern Suburban Home
living room
Client Home - Gull Lake, MI
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 12:58PM
The general rule for an area rug is that all front feet of the furniture should sit on it.
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 12:59PM
dasmy
Thanks everyone!
Please keep the suggestions coming. I need lots of help.
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 2:01PM
dasmy
Junoniad, the wall is a tan color. The room with the gold and red color is actually a different home. I attached the picture as a model to show where I wanted the accent chairs to go instead of dining table. Is it better to go with a lighter rug because the sofa is olive green?
Thanks for your help.
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 2:03PM
dasmy
Groveraxle – thank you. The room is usually not as dark, although the recess lights in the adjacent space were turned off when i took the picture. I am hoping to purchase two table lamps to brighten the room. Do you have any suggestions on lighting?
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 2:03PM
Here is your room with better lighting and plum accents. I've shown it with the table you linked above, and with one that is leggier that I think works better.
3 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 2:09PM
dasmy
Thanks groveraxle, This is nice. where can i find the area rug? and does it have shades of olive green?
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 2:39PM
dasmy
Please can anyone suggest accent chairs for the adjacent space that goes with olive green and plum. i did really like this http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Signature-Tan-Linen-Slipper-Chair/5203265/product.html?refccid=RWRPU5OPZSCJJE2OI6EDYDPTTQ&searchidx=18 but was told its too neutral
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 2:50PM
junoniad
Someone once told me to staple samples of every fabric, color swatch etc onto a manila folder and then bring that folder to the store to select other fabrics, rugs, curtains, etc. In your case, I would probably select the rug first and then use that plus the color from the sofa fabric to to select other fabrics for throw pillows and curtains. It seems like you're really into plum, so scour overstock for plum/green (sage, olive etc) combos. You don't have to limit yourself to those 2 colors. You can also pull in all shades of tan, brown, gold, red, rust etc in the rug. I suggest overstock because I have been rug shopping recently and the value and unique selection is 100% there vs big box store rugs. Plus you seem to like it. See if you can find some inspiration there.

After you select your rug, go to HD or Lowes and find a color chip that closely matches your sofa. Use the rug and the sofa color chip to select complimentary fabrics. I love long sheer thick curtains on thick wooden rods and the fabric on rings. I have painted several sets with DIY unfinished wood finials, poles etc from HD. You can match the color of the rod to the room too if you like.
0 Likes   Thanked by dasmy    March 15, 2014 at 3:29PM
jhx1
@dasmy what is your thinking about why you want the chairs there? Is it to fill an empty space since you aren't using it for dining?

Do you rent? Will you be moving in the future?

The reason I ask, is that you have a lot of seating, do you need more?

so you might think about that space in terms of what do you need in your home?

You might put a desk. Even if you don't use it daily or for work, a desk might be a nice 'space filler' a collection and work space for mail, as well as work like an entry table does...

A large piece of art above it would really anchor the space, and possibly a nice lamp... A desk that is tabke like might be nice.

However, if you really want and need chairs, I personally didn't see a problem with the ones you like as they will be over in their own space and I don't feel they clash with the sofas. (At least as far as I can tell in your pics) I am assuming however that your space is not painted similarly to the pic you linked.... And I would also, with the chairs, put a very large art there to anchor them.

If you don't go with those chairs you could go with solid khaki/stone colored chairs and use pillows to tie the sofa color and accent color to tie the two seating areas together...
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 3:41PM
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 3:55PM
dasmy
@ junoniad, thanks a lot! very helpful. i like the idea of not limiting myself to just two colors. I will definitely be spending a lot of time on overstock and at home depot. thanks for the suggestions
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 8:42PM
jhx1
@dasmy a great place to explore color palettes is Design Seeds
http://design-seeds.com/

You can find the color that matches your couch then click on the color to find many palettes that go with that color.

So for example I clicked on the search palettes menu. Then clicked on autumn. Then clicked on this palette.
http://design-seeds.com/index.php/home/entry/bountiful-tones

(I'm pretending this olive is your olive just for example) then on the right click on the small olive sample and all the palettes that contain that color will come up:
http://design-seeds.com/index.php/search?hex=737d5a

Hope this helps!
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 8:47PM
dasmy
@ jhx1 - hello there and thanks for your suggestions. My idea behind the chairs was to fill up the empty space which happens to be right at the entrance as you walk into the house and the living room to the left. I do not wish to use it as a dining space because the kitchen is fairly large and has a sitting area. I own the home and will probably stay put for the next several years. The whole space is painted tan. Currently, one of the bedrooms upstairs has a desk.

Do you think it would be overkill to have 2 of the accent chairs or just one would do with a lamp, large art piece and area rug?

Thanks again:)
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 8:56PM
dasmy
@ groveraxle Thanks again. Your illustration was very helpful. The software is awesome!
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 8:57PM
jhx1
@dasmy I thought that was why you wanted the chairs :)

What about a wall of bookcases behind either two chairs or the rug, one chair and lamp?

The reason why I was asking and making these suggestions, is what can happen is a room can get a doctors office look with too many seating options :)

Oh, a console table with a chair at each side, maybe... Brb, let me look for some examples...

Making the area seem purposeful and neither space filler-y or lobby like...will help as much as color palette. :)

But it's all up to you. I just like to bring up things a poster might think about. It's hard to tell if course, what I bring up may already have been thought about and decided against!

I also like to ask people if they own or rent because I don't want to suggest things that may not needed down the line if they move.
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 9:09PM
jhx1
Ok these is not your style, just example of chairs and console set up (consoles are so handy near the entry)

Contemporary Tuscan

Light & Classic

And again not your style, but has a sideboard and one chair with asymmetrical art. You wouldn't need to go asymmetrical unless you like that.

Living Room
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 9:10PM
dasmy
@ jhx1 - thank you!!!! i love these contemporary and light & classic look!!! I see you are on to something good:) i see what you mean with the doctor's office feel..that is not what i am going for lol..back to the other space. I am trying to visualize the wall of bookcase behind either two chairs or the rug, one chair and lamp? sounds interesting..do you have a pic?

Another question- in the living room space, i currently have an old console table(see prior pictures) that i was going to replace with http://www.havertys.com/Product_45666 Assuming i decide to go with the console and 2 chairs look. Any suggestions or ideas on what to replace the console table with in the living room space. I dont want that area empty.

Do you think I'd be able to use similar color, but different patterned area rugs in both spaces?
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 9:46PM
dasmy
@ Cassie - very nice! once i decide the other decorative pieces, i will decide what art pieces to purchase
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:00PM
jhx1
I was just looking for reading nook pics for another post, and I had a hard time finding what I was thinking of! It was all mostly kids reading areas!

But here is one, not necessarily for style, but layout

Yes, you can use rugs in the sane colors with different patterns in two areas of a room.

You can also go with one natural weave rug in the area with the most color. (Because those go with everything!) so lets say you have bold art in the not-dining area, a natural weave would go well there.

Or if the livingroom ends up with some great colors or patterns from your palette in throws, pillows art etc- you can use the natural weave in there.

Brb. Let me grab a pic of this rug I keep recommending. That style is very nice with a wide variety of styles.
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:03PM
jhx1
Here goes. This one has a diamond pattern, but a herringbone pattern is good too. Anything with a little bit of interest and you can find these in many stores.

Let me think a bit about the area where the console table is...if you decide to move it...
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:06PM
dasmy
awesome! do you recommend solid color curtains to match the olive green sofa or do you think multicolor could be overkill?
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:07PM
jhx1
@dasmy if you move the console, what about putting the love seat on that side of the room and moving the sofa toward the half wall just a bit...

It's kind of good feng shui to to have seating facing the entrance to a room, and it leaves less if a sense if staring at a blank wall...

If something is needed in front of the half wall you might do some baskets of pillows or a grouping of tall vases with some branches? Maybe?

Here's a plant on a stand with a tall vase to the right, and I'm not sure what's on the left...

Red

Here's a group of three slim vases with branches
DC_Row_House

So you coukd go with 3 different objects tall, medium and low, or three identical...

I think something like this can be a place for the eye to go besides a blank wall... In whatever style...
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:12PM
dasmy
sounds like a good idea also. I also thought about leaving the loveseat where its at (in front of the half wall) and moving the sofa to the other wall where the console table is, but then that will leave an empty space in front off both windows.
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:25PM
dasmy
i love the idea of the 3 objects!! maybe the art work could be directly above it
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:30PM
jhx1
Your windows are such a focal point I don't think it'd be a problem, if you faced the sofas. And, in between the windows would be a really natural place for a basket of pillows.

You know you can get patterned curtains that actually act pretty neutral in a room, but add a lot if visual interest. Like these

Chancery Place House

Living Room

I've even seen curtains with very neutral tone, so you can find an ivory and khaki or something, so the geometric pattern becomes even more subtle...

You can also get solid curtains with an interesting weave (kind if like the carpet I linked) which adds textural interest...

I think I would suggest get curtains at least twice the width of each windiw, that helps the folds if the drapes fall really nicely.
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 10:37PM
jhx1
Oh this would be an interesting way to dress your windows so they pull open to the sides...

1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 10:42PM
dasmy
You are amazing! Thank you so much. Its 2am here and i should probably get some rest. i will do some more digging tomorrow AM and post what ever questions i have. thanks again~
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:49PM
dasmy
the windows pulling to the side is very unique!!! with all the patterns on the rug and curtains, i probably would have to go with solid color pillows...
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 10:52PM
jhx1
@dasmy no problem it's fun!

Actually patterns can still be on pillows. It's a bit of a trick to get comfortable with.They just need to relate to the rest of the room.

If you get your color palette, your art, rug and a neutral but interesting patterned curtain, then you can pick a few patterned pillows. You can still have solids (again look for interesting textures in the weave)

Use only the colors in your palette for pillows, and in the patterns think scale: large, medium and small.

I'll see if I can find an example.

It's not quite as late here!

Get some rest :)
0 Likes   March 15, 2014 at 11:00PM
dasmy
lol..like you said, the trick is getting comfortable with it. I must say i am making progress:) Have a fantastic rest of the day. looking forward to seeing what you find. thanks again
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 11:05PM
jhx1
Pattern scale:

By using different scales and same palette, you can use patterns without becoming too busy.

Here is an example of medium and small scale patterns.

And then, I guess what I'd call an open pattern and a tight pattern.

The last too I'd call large scale.

And that's an easy way to allow yourself multiple patterns without feeling too busy. Just stick within your chosen palette.
1 Like   March 15, 2014 at 11:07PM
jesker
I think our olive furniture is a bit darker than yours. But you asked for visuals, so here is a shot I took of olive and plum. Majority of the space is a neutral khaki/slightly greenish color, and I just did this one small wall in the plum color as well as another small one that you can sort of see at the edge of the photo. I have a few other plum accents around the room, such as that throw, a very small photo frame on the mantel which is opposite this chair, and a cute little ceramic dish I received as a Christmas gift. I have been searching as time allows for accent pillows, I found some solid plum ones but hoping to find patterned ones which the right colors, and I really like that one that jhx1 posted! Must find...
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 6:42AM
jhx1
@jesker those pillows just came up in a google search. If I recall right I think I searched "patterned throw pillows"
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 12:46PM
jhx1
@dasmy I just remembered there are also online palette generators! But one thing about them, I found each one to be a bit limiting. Leave out some shades and have too much of other shades.

You take a piece of art or a rug and upload the pic and it creates a palette for you! That you can use for the color palette of your space.

Here's an example. And what I see as the limits: it's not showing the sand color and the cloud colors...which should be part of the complete palette.

http://www.degraeve.com/color-palette/
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 1:05PM
jhx1
So here's a test of the palette generator. I googled eggplant and found a pic and put it through the generator.
http://www.degraeve.com/color-palette/index.php?q=http://www.bonappetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/maar_eggplants.jpg,47402F979A67AECE6ACBDA7FE9D4C4,534622ADB44DC0FF39EAFF52FCD1B1

Here's a palette based on colors that all work together. But sadly it is leaving out the important offwhites, and possibly a few other colors so a person would need to be sure to add those in to their total palette.
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 1:10PM
dannirose
Mind if I interrupt and ask a quick question to the designers? I'm just curious as to what's wrong with the rug she has? It seems like it has all her colors? (Again I'm just wondering??)
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 1:17PM
Mohairs & More
The Eggplant/Plum colors will work wonderfully with olive. If you are looking to add a a little more texture to the room, with a mohair throw, 'Mulberry' or 'Olive' may work for you (from Mohairs and More 'Designer Hues' Collection : http://mohairsandmore.com/mohair-throws-in-40-designer-hues/
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 2:09PM
jhx1
@dannirose for myself, I haven't found a problem with the rug! In fact that rug could be used to generate the overall palette for planning her additional items and design decisions.

I can't remember now, whether dasmy wanted a new rug initially. I do remember she might want a second rug though.

I am wondering if the rug change came into the discussion when people started talking about using purples/eggplant colors to go with her sofa...
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 2:09PM
jhx1
I might add, if dasmy does not want a new rug, a second rug could be stripes in those colors. As well as some of the pillows. Stripes go well with other patterns, especially floral, as florals can sometimes be daunting to match.
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 2:25PM
dasmy
@ jhx1 – I love the patterned throw pillows. The grey set in particular. I will do a search of patterned plum throw pillows and see what comes up. They aren’t too popular in the stores.

@ junoniaid – thanks for the rug suggestions! Overstock has it all!!
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 3:06PM
dasmy
@ jester – your olive seems very close to mine although it appears a little on the greyish side from the pic. I really like the wall art, and the wall paint…very warm and bold! Please let me know if you find patterned pillows. Also do you have curtains?
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 3:14PM
jesker
No curtains, just solar shades in a patterned off-white that matches the window trim. As you can get a hint of since there is both the upholstered furniture and a refrigerator in that same small photo, it is an open space, and more of the windows are on the kitchen side. I may do valances someday, but so far I haven't missed them.
I also found this pillow while searching, which I also like alot.
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 5:58PM
dasmy
jesker - those pillows are nice! I saw matching curtains for those online
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 8:14AM
dasmy
Thanks guys for all your help. This is a better picture of the olive sofa set in better lighting that i currently have.I had such a tough time trying to visualize the plum area rug, throw pillows and curtains together that i have the decided to go with an aqua blue for my accent. What do you guys think?

Look #1
I like these throw pillows http://www.pinterest.com/pin/373869206538425721/
Please any suggestions for curtains and accessories for this look -
This area rug - http://www.wayfair.com/Dash-and-Albert-Rugs-Woven-Diamond-Sprout-White-Rug-RDB100-DAX1321.html

I am open to any other suggestions. Thanks
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 10:31AM
nice grey color scheme that compliments an olive green couch
The photo attached is for color purposes only. It...
need help with colour scheme for my sofa and living room!!! emergency
hi, please can you help me on my sofa!I love the sofa...
Need New Color Scheme Using Brown Sofa & Love Seat
Please help! I currently have red, gold, and green...
Need color scheme to update neutral room with dk brown sofas
Kitchen has been re painted in a Valspar aquamarine...
Outdoor garland on stone
Tips for hanging heavy garland outdoors on stone entryway...
should I paint my doors and trim white, and leave wood windows?
We recently purchased a new house that needs tons of...
photos to canvas
For landscape photos to canvas, would it look best...
Need help with kitchen sink.
What kind of sink to use with granite counters, oil...
Exterior Paint Colours?
Something isn't sitting well with me. What do you...