Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethiniowa

How can I make my Plain Jane garden shed more cute?

bethiniowa
10 years ago
I'm trying to make my plain white garden shed more picturesque, but I'm not sure how to do this in the right style for my simple farm, which is in an Amish area of Iowa (and was, in fact, an Amish farm at one time).

The sheds on the cover of Country Gardens magazine are always so cute, but I don't think I can add shutters or gingerbread, or paint it any other color but white, since all the buildings on my property are white (the color for nearly every farm house in this area).

Some ideas I've had:
1. Put a window box under the the window on the north face (in the first photo). Impatiens do well in the shade. This is the most important side, since it faces my house and is seen all the time.
2. Also plant a evergreen tree on that side, on the left, for height, and other shade-tolerant shrubs and flowers in front.
3. Last year I planted red 'Blaze' climbing roses on either side of the door (on the east side), and I will make trellises out of wood and attach them to each side on that face of the shed.
4. Plant hostas, ferns and other shady plants under the small pear tree on the west face (4th photo).
5. Put a bench on the south side, behind the big tree trunk. I thought I'd leave that side mulched, as a sitting area in the shade of the tree.
6. The idea occurred to me to paint an Amish "barn quilt" (very popular in my area) on the gable of the north face. I don't necessarily love these, but it would be something interesting to look at: http://www.amazon.com/barnquiltinfo-com-2014-Barn-Quilt-Calendar/dp/B00F2OVNAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394928591&sr=8-2&keywords=barn+quilt
7. I also have thought about adding a small decorative section of short, white-picket fence somewhere around the north side, perhaps a corner section, with plantings around it.

Does anyone have any ideas for other plantings? And any improvements I can make to the shed itself to make it more attractive, without "tarting it up" (so to speak) in an inappropriate style (and without spending a fortune)? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Beth

Comments (25)

• bethiniowa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here are a couple of the Country Gardens magazine covers, with their very cute sheds on them. I'm having shed envy... Thanks!
  • brooks1490
    10 years ago
    Paint the door hunter green (like roof). Put shudders in same green on windows. Install flower box under window. Hang wreath on door.
    bethiniowa thanked brooks1490
  • mommaorr
    10 years ago
    Add a small cupola
    bethiniowa thanked mommaorr
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    I love garden sheds! Denita has some great inspirational ones. Here's a couple others i thought were interesting. Notice how much having contrasting trim adds to the character. If you want to keep the body white I would suggest perhaps painting your door cross bucks, door trim and window trim a pretty pale green to coordinate with the roof. Add a window box and shutters and a pretty white curtain in the window. Maybe a fan shaped trellis with pink clematis. Pretty pink wreath on the door. I think I would paint the vertical siding on the gable ends the pale green as well to highlight those cute pointy ends!
    My Houzz: Patience and Resourcefulness Pay Off in Dallas · More Info

The 2nd one shows how interesting it is to highlight the gable ends. Have fun with it!
    Victorian Style House and Formal Gardens · More Info
    bethiniowa thanked rocketjcat
  • bethiniowa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    These are all such good ideas! And I love all the beautiful photos -- but they are making my shed envy much worse! :-) They're all so cute.
    Painting the trim might look very nice. And you're right: I could paint the entire gable green and it would look like it matched the roof, plus it would pick out the pointy ends. Great ideas, everyone -- Thanks so much!!
  • PRO
    garden design online
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Email me ,quickly(in 10 minits) you can get new design,such as adding porch,s line walkway,shrubs,trees,deck,gazebo,patio,
    change the windows,the door,the wall and the color.....
    bethiniowa thanked garden design online
  • meghamheater
    10 years ago
    What is up with the above comment, the email me quickly one, this is the 2nd time that I have seen this exact comment
    bethiniowa thanked meghamheater
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    I see that person do it all the time, not cool in my opinion. I think he charges $$ to draw up a sample like he shows above :( You can always hit report on the post that bothers you. A very handy button.
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    Beth, glad you like the painted gable idea....just try to pick out a pretty coordinating color like a pale green, .I wouldn't have it match the roof.
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    I keep seeing them posting those computer generated "designs" too. They are terrible. And do not look the least bit legitimate!
    bethiniowa thanked bubbasgma
  • User
    10 years ago
    Garden design online always acts like they're on crack, and learn to spell "minute", dude...
  • bethiniowa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    rocketjcat, yes, I'm not sure what color green I should choose. I was thinking about a lighter shade, but my husband thinks we should pick a dark green to match the roof. He likes the look of this shed photo I found online.What do you think of it?
  • bethiniowa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree, the computer-generated giant fancy porch spliced onto my tiny, plain garden shed wasn't exactly the appropriate, inexpensive suggestion I was looking for.... :-)
  • rocketjcat
    10 years ago
    Aaah, no. Not if you're going for 'cute'! Let your hubby have his potato shed... You get something a lot nicer!
    Something more like this, maybe even a tad lighter.
    http://houzz.com/photos/28935
  • bubbasgma
    10 years ago
    So many cute shed and studio ideabooks here on Houzz! So many great options!!! Live it up!
  • bethiniowa
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like the look of the lighter shade of green. Perhaps I'll try something like that, to see what it looks like -- it's only paint, after all. Then my husband will be able to see what it looks like and maybe it'll grow on him....? Thanks again!
  • nhtome
    8 years ago

Done these before. Add a cupola to match the band stand (?) in background of first pic. Add double doors with barn door tracks so you have a decent sized opening. A pair of 30" doors will get it done.

Add small fixed sash to gables (say 24" x 24")

Shed needs additional larger windows for light as well as proportion. Careful with sizes so as not to go too big and keep the sills up high enough so as not to adversely impact interior use. Match gable windows in details.

Not too much additional color. Doors, door trim and window trim only especially new gable windows and that is enough.

Send pics when done. Good luck

• PRO
    Backyard Buildings
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Tackroom Style Shed with design Examples

I would try adding some color to it. Try adding a flower box with flowers, shutters and paint the trim. Could even add a cupola/weathervane to add some architectural interest...

• PRO
    Jamaica Cottage Shop Inc
    8 years ago

I like the simplicity you already have in mind. You have the tidy little trim on one side which is adorable, and the addition of neat, geometric trellis would compliment the austere aesthetic you want to extend. I think the flower boxes you wondered about too. Possibly some vintage chairs nearby.... :) Have fun! (and post after pics please). Kim

• Teri Fronabarger
    8 years ago

Garden Shed is the only magazine I subscribe to. I save them all!!

• Teri Fronabarger
    8 years ago

I like your idea of a picket fence. I bought the 8' sections at the local "box" store and put them up with green fence post and drywall screws. They have been up for years!! I primed and painted them white! Trellis on both sides of the door in a contrasting color and add a few window boxes. After the fence is up you can add some landscaping and a bench.

• Mystic Firefly
    3 years ago

I would suggest you plant some Delphiniums, Cosmos and Amaranthus around that area.........then add some white low growing annuals. First, set your Perennials in, then add the Annuals - I love Larkspur, Delphiniums, Climbing Roses, Holly Hocks, and self seeders, like Cosmos and Love Lies Bleeding [Amaranthus]

bethiniowa thanked Mystic Firefly
  • Mystic Firefly
    3 years ago

so I wonder what happened to this Plain Jane Shed, and her owner???? Has there been an update??

bethiniowa thanked Mystic Firefly
  • bethiniowa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for everyone's comments here. I'm afraid that even after *six years* my shed is still a work in progress. I did manage to plant a bunch of hostas around the shady back side of the shed a few years ago, as well as a peony at the corner, and they don't look too bad. And I had great plans for the front side, with beautiful climbing roses growing up the trellises on either side and flowers in the beds -- but I could never get a rose to survive on the left side of the door for some reason, despite three tries, and then weeds took over. I cleared the two beds last year and meant to plant them up again this year -- but the coronavirus hit and I never managed to do that either. :-(

But thank you for reminding me that I still have an opportunity to improve this area of my gardens -- I've become preoccupied with areas that are closer to my house, which are easier to remember. I'll definitely re-plant the beds by the door next spring with snapdragons and petunias, which grow well here, and maybe some dahlias, and add some clematis for the trellises. I hope to be able to post a further update next summer. Thanks again!