Tips on how to make a house sell quickly
sandyjsagar
I think my house is perfect, however it is not selling as quickly as I had hoped. We are downsizing and need to move into a smaller home. Do I call in a decorator or are there some quick tips for making your house more saleable?
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
There are professional "Stagers" who do this for a living. They are usually trained as Interior Designers, but specialize in helping to sell houses quickly.

See if you can find someone in your area.

The local real estate companies often work with them, so maybe they can help you find a good "Stager"

Often what they do is take away furniture and clutter and simplify the decor.
Less furniture can make a house feel larger.

Or, if your house needs more decor, they will bring in art and some new furniture pieces to dress up the house.

They might also have something to say about the landscaping too.

It's worth a few hundred dollars to have a professional Stager help you.
March 15, 2014 at 11:59pm     
alwaysdesigning
You can review the "staging secrets" blogs on the internet. There are several out there. Look also on Pinterest for staging pins and hints. Additionally, the Houzz website has some ideas; search under "staging to sell".

The most important ideas I used when we sold our home (it sold to a neighbor immediately and never even had to be listed), was to:
a). get rid of every bit of clutter in every nook, cranny and closet. Rent a storage unit (we rented two) and get everything boxed and out of the house that is not immediately necessary so all closets are not crammed full; make them empty. Remove unnecessary furnishings. Make your home look spacious.

b.) Get all of the personal photos, decorative items, and absolutely everything off walls and shelves and out of there, except key pieces of furniture. Take down extraneous curtains; make the windows look large and modern with no coverings except blinds. Make it look like a show house, with sparse furniture to make it look large. De-clutter the kitchen; everything off the countertops. Box up everything in the cabinets and send to storage, except the essentials. Next, clean, clean and clean some more, especially bathrooms, floors and the kitchen.. Touch up any walls with spackle and paint. If you have any colorfully painted rooms, re-paint in a fresh and light neutral.

c.) Clean up all the flower beds and trim back the shrubs, or dig them up if they are overgrown. Plant a few eye catching annuals or pot some up that can be moved around.

Try these ideas first before attempting any renovations or hiring a professional. Good luck.
March 16, 2014 at 12:39am     
hayleydaniels
Besides staging, make sure your house isn't overpriced for the area.
March 16, 2014 at 2:57am   
hatetoshop
What feedback is your agent getting from viewings and open houses? Another tip: make sure everything is clean and in working order.
March 16, 2014 at 3:50am   
apple_pie_order
If you post some photos, you will get some feedback that may be helpful (showing a photo with a design dilemma gets more comments, so consider starting a new thead). Has your house been on the market longer than others in the same price range in your area?
March 16, 2014 at 6:16am   
saratogaswizzlestick
Please post photos. That way you will get specific comments instead of general advice.
March 16, 2014 at 6:27am   
How to upgrade my kitchen to make the house ready to sell.
We have a galley kitchen completely redone in the 70's...
Selling My House: Staging Tips?
I recently put my house on the market, so far there...
My House Has Been on the Market for Too Long! 5 Tips For Selling
It has been a seller’s market in Houston since January,...
How To Sell A House That Won't Sell
Http://news.yahoo.com/5-steps-sell-house-wont-sell-151237284.html...
Help! How do I clean these tiles?!
I have gorgeous wood-look porcelain tile in my dining...
Indoor window shutters
I am remodeling a bedroom, study and living room. The...
need help with design of master bedroom
My master bedroom is 6m long and 3,4 m wide ...do i...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...