Need help choosing exterior paint color for Colonia
svitarisi
We are days away from having the exterior of our house painted and still haven't selected a paint color. Not certain if we should stick with the traditional white, which is safe or go with a whole new color scheme? The house is very boxy and our backyard is a very different from the colonial style of the home. I'm concerned certain color schemes will cause the house to look country or barn like, which is not our style. My husband and I tend to like more modern (colonial would not be our first choice), so this is a bit of a challenge. Any suggestions??? Thank you!
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I personally love the traditional white colonial style look with black shutters and black front door. With your light grey roof, the white will look the best.

Your other options are grey, taupe or yellow.
March 16, 2014 at 7:01am     
mefor
I love the white too, but if you really want change, grey or taupe would be best.
March 16, 2014 at 7:08am     
laurakdesigns
Gray is classic to fit the colonial style and modern to fit your style. There are also some pretty taupy- greens that would work.
March 16, 2014 at 7:09am   
garden design online
Painting isn't enough.Email me ,quickly(in 10 minits) you can get new design,such as adding porch,fluid line0 shape walkway,steps, forth sitting,shrubs,trees,deck,gazebo,patio,
change the windows,the door,the wall .....
March 16, 2014 at 7:21am   
mefor
;D
10 minutes!!!!
March 16, 2014 at 7:23am     
Patina Period Design
You have a traditional house and if you stray away from the design in choosing a color, it might come off as awkward or garish. The roof is a major element that you cannot ignore. It is light and you need to stay light. If not white, then you are limited to other light colors that have white undertones, like an light icy grey, possibly light icy green or blue. The accents (shutters, doors) can be darker tones in the same color family.
March 16, 2014 at 7:32am   
laurakdesigns
Check out SW Intellectual Gray.
March 16, 2014 at 7:34am     
angelikim
Hello dear,
I think, if I had your house (it seems a good size), I 'd try to improve the outside
but sticking to sound long term & real estate value principles.
Here it is what I'd do:
I agree that the color alone might not be enough.
For that I'd concentrate on the overall outlook according to my budget.
If I had $ to spend, maybe I'd go for landscaping always according to available $.
If you DIY, an easy plan for me I'd be:
Give more emphasis on door with paint (choose carefully to over shade all other existing colors)then having a semi circle path from door ending to the end of driveway.
Also try to work out the same door color to the 2 ends of house, somehow.
GOOD LUCK
Angeliki
March 16, 2014 at 7:53am   
svitarisi
I would love to invest in the landscaping, but unfortunately, that will have to wait. We've been in the house 3 months and the paint is literally flaking off, so it's a must. Thank you for your suggestions. Funny, I was just telling my husband I would love walk way from street to door. I like having a formal walkway for visitors. It's awkward when people have to brush by cars in the driveway to access the front door.
March 16, 2014 at 8:11am   
angelikim
In that case my dear, I would keep the upper part whitish (close to the original-maintenance easy) and I would apply a deeper shade in the down part with coordinated much deeper color in the door part and the 2 sides of house.
I'd make an outside plan of what to be done and I'd proceed according to my $ and time.
To make the pathway, probably would be the start........
GOOD LUCK
Angeliki
March 16, 2014 at 11:16am   
Patina Period Design
Look at Sherwin Williams 6471 Hazel (green) and 6478 Watery (Blue) to start, and if you like either of those I can help with accents.
March 16, 2014 at 11:37am     
bluenan
I like the white, clean and classic. Btw, garden design online had way too much caffeine this morning...
March 16, 2014 at 12:15pm     
svitarisi
Thank you for all of your thoughts and suggestions! The majority seem to feel the house should stay white. My painters will love that!!! I'm a little worried about the house always looking dirty, since we live in almond country.
What's a nice white???? Thought on shutter and door color? I would love to have fun with door color, Can't be too crazy because colors have to be passed through hoa.
March 17, 2014 at 6:21am   
mefor
How about a happy green for the door? Black shutters are classic.
SW jolly green
SW straightforward green
March 17, 2014 at 6:28am     
svitarisi
thank you.
March 17, 2014 at 6:38am     
svitarisi
Is a high gloss door the way to go?
March 17, 2014 at 6:39am     
mefor
Here's a few options, just to get an idea of what different colors look like. The first green would not look that bright from the street, none of them would look that vivid from the street, since the door is in the shadows. I wouldn't go too dark, door looks like a cave entrance then :)
March 17, 2014 at 6:42am     
mefor
Yes, I would do semi or high gloss, but it would be best if someone prepped door really well, needs to be very smooth. :)
March 17, 2014 at 6:43am   
mefor
:)
March 17, 2014 at 6:44am     
svitarisi
wow! Thanks again.
March 17, 2014 at 6:49am     
Sherwin-Williams
Hi svitarisi. Your home is beautiful and will look even better with a fresh coat of paint! Have you tried our Color Visualizer to explore different color combinations? It's an easy way to visualize the different paint possibilities, with out even picking up a brush! http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/try-on-colors/color-visualizer/
March 17, 2014 at 6:57am     
flopsycat1
Are the topiaries in pots? I'd try moving them away and see how that looks. They are very formal. If your taste is more modern, that formality may not be to your liking. It's free, easy and reversible !
March 17, 2014 at 7:44am   
flopsycat1
Back to the paint color. No question, white with black or very dark green is classic. But, if you wanted something a little different, but not too daring, consider a cream or very pale beige color.
March 17, 2014 at 7:54am     
angelikim
What a beautiful, serene home is the above.
However, yours is a bit different shape.
Therefore, we have to make adjustments.

Personally, I'd go for a vivid color of door for good energy.
The yellow seems nice.
Take a picture of the house to the store and coordinate colors.
Some of them are really gem-color specialists.
If you could send us the final result.
I'd love to see it.
GOOD LUCK
Angeliki
March 17, 2014 at 10:19am      Thanked by svitarisi
Help! Need help choosing a new exterior paint color
We will be repainting our house. I do not like the...
Need Help Choosing Exterior Paint Color(s)
We're in the process of getting our exterior painted...
Need help choosing exterior paint color!
Hello. Looking to paint our 1940's home. Thinking...
I need some help choosing an exterior paint color!
We bought a cute little log cabin on the lake that...
I need help choosing exterior paint colors for my house now stained.
It is a cedar sided home which we love except for the...
Deck/Porch Design
We have a friend with a secondary deck, it is an empty...
Long narrow L shape condo balcony
I got a corner unit with long and narrow L shape balcony...
Paint color and decorative pieces to go with bedspread! Help!!
Hey everyone! I need your help! I bought a new quilt...
White Chandelier?
I'm in need of a white chandelier. I was ready to...
Let's stain my
I need advice or suggestions for the best color option...