One kitchen island or two?
busmdk
We're in the middle of designing our kitchen and are working with a two island concept. Have had some folks tell us the traffic flow can be problematic. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen/island area in our current home, so want the space to feel efficient. Looking for input from anyone that's lived or worked in a two island kitchen. Have attached the current concept....
OnePlan
It looks a little bit tight as drawn ? Is that to scale ?!
March 16, 2014 at 12:22PM   
architectrunnerguy
I design two island kitchens all the time. Although those are more cohesive then the kitchen above. Youv'e got a square room, angled entry, round island, arched island...Gee, lets see if we can fit MORE different forms in here!!!

Here's two, two island kitchens that come together (photos to right of corresponding plan):
March 16, 2014 at 12:22PM     
OnePlan
If you add some measurements it might help us get an idea of the space you have ?! Are you in USA? As will need to adhere to larger walkway space then if you are in UK for example ?! Could be different again if you are elsewhere in the world ?!
March 16, 2014 at 1:36PM   
lynok
Nice floor plan
March 16, 2014 at 1:38PM   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I think they can work incredibly well if the design is good. They can help to create work zones that function well. There are thousands of two island kitchen photos here on Houzz.
I agree with architectrunnerguy. You need to look at the space and make sure the elements work together. Too much variety works against you in design rather than creating a cohesive design.
March 16, 2014 at 1:46PM     
Lia
Hi there! In my kitchen I have a work island and a larger island. I use the work island to prepare meals. If you do end up getting a work island just make sure there is at least 42 inches of room around it. Congratulations on your new kitchen!!!
March 16, 2014 at 1:52PM   
Sophie Wheeler
As drawn the small island is a shin barker, alwys in the way of your path. (Draw a line between the sink, range, and fridge, and if anything is inside that triangle, the plan gets a F) The large curved island looks dramatic, but wastes cabinet space, and will need expensive curved cabinetry. Very expensive curved cabinetry. This is a kitchen to look at, not cook in.
March 16, 2014 at 2:27PM   
busmdk
Thanks for all the comments. Will share the dimensions once a get the draft from the architect (We're in the U.S.) Have a designer we've worked with before and trust, just trying to be sure it fits our desire for function without losing visual appeal. Appreciate the comment re: cost of curved cabinetry, and have considered a drawing with the center island squared off. Am wanting to make sure there is good workspace, but our philosophy in building is to follow the "not so big house" concept, and build something with soul (aiming to keep the house to about 2000sq ft)
March 16, 2014 at 5:44PM   
one level kitchen island vs. two levels?
we are designing our kitchen space and we are locating...
Kitchen sink in the island, one level counter top or two?
We must located the sink in the middle island. Kitchen...
kitchen island, two level or one?
I am designing my dream kitchen currently and the plan...
One vs Two islands
We have a kitchen that is a bowling alley! Should we...
What the nook!?
Hello all! Not sure what to do with the little nook...
Sound proofing that's affordable
The master bathroom and my daughter's bedroom share...
What color should I make the bench and table?
My other patio furniture is brown and a set of cream....
should we add a 3rd bedroom??
Here's the thing we have a 2br 2bt house and we are...
Color ideas for a very large deck with wraparound walk
My house is Cedar and it's stained a dark brown with...