Suggestions on Curb appeal/ garage or carport?
timglidden
Curious what recommendations you all have for curb appeal.....We renovated this ranch about a year ago and are needing some curb appeal ideas...

Eventually We would like to add a garage and or carport also on the left side of the house... Maybe create an "L" with a garage ...
Anyone have photoshop skills?
pcmom1
Was that a single car garage that was converted into a bedroom?

Right now the driveway seems very wide for the house. Know you will add a garage or carport down the road, so not sure how much you want to spend right now.

Paint the wood posts to match the house. Add half wine barrels to the left side of drive with colorful plants and flowers. That will narrow the drive some. Paint the front door in a bright blue (like the planters).

1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 5:03PM
timglidden
Here is a closer picture....

Yes that was a garge converted to a living room... We blew out walls and vaulted the ceiling.
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 5:50PM
Denita
Do you have enough room to put a garage on the left without making the L shape?
Something like this inspiration photo (hover to expand to see garage on the left)
Dwane
You might have to bring the garage forward a little bit in order to get it on the lot and still meet whatever your setback requirements are in your community
La Canada Residence
The Bradner Residence
Home Front Yards
3 Likes   Thanked by timglidden    March 16, 2014 at 5:53PM
bubbasgma
Fabulous job!!! How about a good power wash of the drive. And taller/more substantial plantings on the right corner?
2 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 6:26PM
jhx1
Sorry I'm on my ipad so I don't have photoshop handy, so this is kind of a crappy mock up!

But here are the changes I made:

I just extended your house without change, for a carport or garage. I think your house benefits from continuing rather than breaking up the facade with new elements.

I did paint the wooden porch supports. While I get the appeal of having a natural wood element, it doesn't quite fit the house, and it's the wrong tone of wood. I think. I tried to use your window trim color but my app is tough to get the right colors. The color is a bit off, I meant it to be lighter.

I added landscaping in an all white palette. I thought a dwarf, white flowering tree on the corner anchors the house and expanded your beds with white flowering plants.

I added a few more white plants in with the yellow daffodils. In both beds you might mix up the plants so that you have color flowering plants spring and summer. (Use plants appropriate to your region and soil of course)

I put a grey bench on the porch. The window stone not ending at the same place as the other window treatment makes it a little off, plus a bench on the porch is useful and welcoming and gives great curb appeal. I set this pillow on it, as it seems to represent a good palette for your home.

Then when you finish your carport or garage you should probably resurface your driveway. That really helps curb appeal.
10 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 8:09PM
jhx1
Here it is with the porch supports the same color as the roof trim, and one with a bit more charcoal. Again, with the second charcoal color, it wasn't quite the color I wanted.

Also I suggest black or charcoal mulch in the flower beds.
3 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 8:20PM
houssaon
I like the bench that jhx1 suggested. It shifts the emphasis to the front door. Landscaping is going to make a big difference.
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 8:25PM
armygirl1987
Love the mock up from jhx1
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 8:28PM
jhx1
Oh, and I forgot to add, different plants have different color greens. So you can actually add interest just with varying colors of green! Adding some with blue green or darker forest green etc can be really nice!

Ps what a great wooded setting! Really you just need a few cosmetic tweaks to bring out the beauty of your home.
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 9:00PM
timglidden
We only have room for a one car on the left due to set backs unless we make an L and put it in front of the old garage (now double windows).

What are your thoughts on changing the cedar shake color?
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 9:07PM
timglidden
Thanks !!!! Looks great !
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 9:18PM
jhx1
Arrggg setbacks...

I didn't realize those were cedar shakes! On the computer it read like stone to me! Is it aged/gray cedar or is it painted? A natural cedar color might allow not needing to paint the beautiful wooden porch supports....

And have a natural wood bench...

I have to admit I am having a lot of trouble picturing/understanding an L shaped garage!
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 9:24PM
jhx1
So, do you mean like this? (Not the style home but layout of the garage in relation to the house)

1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 9:29PM
houssaon
I would paint the bricks and the shakes the same color.
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 9:31PM
jhx1
It can be done I think, you'll want the front side to not look like a side of a garage and integrate into the design of your house...

And probably redo the driveway and entry walk etc...

(This example has the garage on the wrong side, but I'm just trying to get a hand,e on what you're looking for...)

0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 9:32PM
jhx1
Ok, this is a worse crappy mockup! Sorry I don't have an app that I could render what I'm trying to show. But I'd think if you pull out the L shaped doubke garage, you'll want the roofline to match the roofline over the porch...

There's no depth to this mock up, so you have to imagine it...

You might even clad the front in the cedar shake...
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 9:45PM
jhx1
Maybe this crappy mock up makes my suggestion more clear
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 9:49PM
timglidden
Thanks jhx1 !!! Something with a side entry or a front entry would work.. The garage would have to slide to the right due to set backs... I might do a breezeway to connect garage and house and not cover the windows..

The cedar shake is stained with bleeching oil and driftwood gray
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 9:52PM
timglidden
Something like these
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 9:57PM
timglidden
The double windows will be covered by the garage but it would help get right of the "converted garage" look...
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 10:00PM
jhx1
Is there enough enough room to set the garage just up to the double window but not in front of it? Like this?
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 10:00PM
timglidden
I could use a solid stain on the cedar I'm guessing to cover the gray...
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 10:01PM
timglidden
I measured and it would half to cover one pane (so half the double window)
0 Likes   March 16, 2014 at 10:03PM
jhx1
Well, the main thing giving your house the converted garage look is only the driveway! You did a great job seamlessly integrating the conversion to your house!

I get it now, you want the garage to pull out front of the house with the garage doors facing the street. For some reason the "L shape" stumped my brain!

One of the main difficulties I see is that you have a very specific style house: a ranch, but you are wanting a more craftsman look in the end. That can be hard with the long low roof lines and simple lines of ranches.

I think the last garage (gray shingles and charcoal door) may be the easiest to emulate in your house because the roofline is the most similar to your house. Again though, you'll want the pitch to be the same as your porch's unless you plan to reno the one you have, but I'm assuming you already have and added the timber porch supports.

You might play online (sherwin Williams and other paint sites have paint apps to try out) if you want to find colors of paints and shades of stain for the cedar and the siding that enhance the wood of the rafters. Different shades next to wood really make a difference. Even if it's different shades of gray.

Or you can paint your house and the rafters just like in the gray garage... Those are a great combination.
1 Like   March 16, 2014 at 10:22PM
jhx1
I'm sorry I can't do a proper photoshop for you, but here's a mockup adding the gray garage to your house.

To integrate it to the existing house, use the color paints in the photo. You should probably repeat the corner detail from the garage on the right corner of your house.

I used the dark gray from garage door for the window trim. You might clad the front of the porch (the tan sloping front) in stone if you want.

The rafters could remain unpainted if you find 3 colors that work, or they could be painted the dark gray of the garage door...

Of course this only has the one door, where you would have double doors...
5 Likes   Thanked by timglidden    March 16, 2014 at 10:46PM
garden design online
I know PHOTOSHOP well.but photoshop often don't work.I have to use cad,maya,3dsmax software.don't waste your time,email me or other designers to give you more different style designs for your your choice, finish your porch,garage,walkway,siting area...design.
2 Likes   Thanked by timglidden    March 17, 2014 at 2:32AM
timglidden
thanks everyone!! Jhxt1 that's exactly what i was looking for !

what do you think should i do the side entry or the front entry??? The cost would probably be close as I need to tear our the driveway anways......

what about the carport/garage combo i posted but flipped to allow a "walkway" to the front door?
0 Likes   March 17, 2014 at 5:19AM
timglidden
we like the craftsman / modern look. so it would be great to blend the two elements.......

Denita - the bradner residence is one of my favorites!!

I think adding a garage or some other element would help since the facade is so flat right now....
0 Likes   March 17, 2014 at 10:49AM
timglidden
next question- anyone local in Atlanta have builders they have used to do something like this.....
0 Likes   March 17, 2014 at 10:50AM
jhx1
@timglidden I think there is a search for professionals function on here. And Atlanta must have some good choices. There's not many on here from my area!
0 Likes   March 17, 2014 at 2:12PM
jhx1
@gardendesignonline I wasn't trying to do anything that would substitute for professional help. I was just trying to get a handle on what timglidden was looking for, and using the pics for articulation purposes only.

Articulating what you want in design can often be really difficult! It's often in our visual/non verbal side of our brain!
1 Like   March 17, 2014 at 2:14PM
jhx1
@timglidden re: side or front garage entry. Your professional can definitely help you decide. Something to think about: do you have much yard space in the back as the drive way will take up quite a bit. As well, you'll want your designer/contractor to be sensitive or able to design the front landscape as well so that it will all integrate nicely with your house :)
1 Like   Thanked by timglidden    March 17, 2014 at 2:20PM
timglidden
and its much appreciated jhx1!!
1 Like   March 17, 2014 at 2:20PM
timglidden
What about something like this?? The first picture may be do-able if we do a single car garage and remove the old driveway that leads to the new family room...
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 11:45AM
timglidden
Any thoughts on staining the gray cedar shake a solid color same as the painted brick?
0 Likes   April 23, 2014 at 12:40PM
timglidden
By staining the shake the same color as the brick do you think it would give this look both of these examples have trim and body the same color to give a monotone look. Thoughts anybody?
0 Likes   June 5, 2014 at 11:50AM
timglidden
Any one able to photoshop our house in a monochromatic paint scheme? (All the grey cedar shake matching the brick).

Really still on the fence ...but think it may look a lot cleaner...

Help me sell my wife on the idea!! :)
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 1:54PM
timglidden
I've tried to use the sherwin Williams visualizer but it doesn't work to match the colors... Any help would be awsome! Ita going to need to be a solid stain due to he existing gray semi trans stain...
0 Likes   June 15, 2014 at 4:04PM
mick50
I know what you mean about SW Visualizer. The colors aren't even close. Something about the transparency. Anyway...it doesn't help.

About the garage addition. If you build it on the right, you have the slope. That will require tons of (expensive) concrete or land backfilling. If you fill it with dirt, that will need lots of compacting to make it stable enough for concrete on top. You run a huge risk of settling causing damage. Just be careful when you have an addition on the slope engineered. Or just build to the left where it's flat!
1 Like   June 16, 2014 at 3:13AM
timglidden
so it sounds like beside the house to the left is the most affordable/best route.

directly beside the house extending the roofline will only allow a one car garage...a two car would have to be set in front of the house almost covering the double windows. I guess I could do a detached garage with breezeway to connect the house to the garage....otherwise tying it into an open living room may be a bit tough...
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 10:05AM
timglidden
what do you think about color matching the cedar shake with brick color in a solid stain mick50?
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 10:23AM
timglidden
to give this type or look.....

]
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 10:24AM
timglidden
I know something needs to be done with the driveway as this still screams "transformed garage"... what about carport any thoughts? will the house look too "porch heavy" with another covered area?
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 10:43AM
Instead of reworking the shingles, rework the beams to match the shingles . . if they were the same gray as the shingles of the house, the tone would be repeated and therefore work nicely. Don't paint them to match the main of the house, keep the grain coming through.

For now, the solution is to go and cut out a bunch of the old drive in front of the building and plant it. . You can do it so it curves to the new location to the left and top the whole thing with a new slurry seal so you can't see the demarcation between the original and added pavement. Try that so you get some flowering evergreen shrubs massed beneath the new section this planting season.
1 Like   Thanked by timglidden    June 16, 2014 at 10:57AM
timglidden
the driveway is concrete...I was told there was no coating to "renew" the surface....

I agree with cutting a curve away from the house as well!!

I really like the wood color of the beams....really don't like the patchwork look the gray color on the shingles create- it looks unfinished to me...just trying to sell my wife on the idea.....
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 11:14AM
timglidden
can anyone photoshop the shingles the same color as the brick to get an idea what it would look like? thanks for all the help everyone...!
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 11:40AM
Sorry, thought your drive was asphalt, but there are coatings for concrete - there is an exposed aggregate topping but ideally you would pour at least 2" on top of what you have left after you cut out the extra areas. Sorry, I agree with the other posters that the earth toned beams don't go with the rest of the exterior tones - you can maintain all your grain but marry them to the shingles and the gray color on the shingles is actually nice. . . nicer than the flat gray on the house - more high end. Your beams will weather out to gray once their coating wears off anyway . . .you might as well do it deliberately to get the right shade.
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 2:45PM
timglidden

I'm really trying to get this look... The brick is actually sw wool skein. A light creamy beige. I think the grey is throwing everything off... All the trim is also sw wool skein and the windows are one shade darker (a factory vinyl beige color close to universal khaki).

Would it help if changed the door stain color ? Also I thought about removing the posts and putting in cedar 6x8's in with a natural stain?

I really think the gray gives a patchwork look.... ?
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 3:22PM
RL Builders
Hi, Don't want to barge in but in order to do a side load or L garage on left hand side, check with your village first or look at your plat map to see what your front setback has to be so then you can see if it can be done.
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 3:30PM
timglidden
Yeah it can be done with... It barely clears the 40' set backs....

The brick in the picture below is actually the same color sw wool skein. It's more of a tan/ beige then gray ... The gray has way too much blue in my opinion. Just wish I could see what it would look like all one color before I do it....
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 3:40PM
I know wool skein well . . a great color . . here's the thing. Wool skein and the gray are cool undertones and the stain on your wood is now super gold / orange warm. The woodland residence is done in a green undertone neutral . . like a camoflauge color and that is why the gold wood works okay as a contrast. The yellow in the green works to bring color harmony. You will need to shift more than the shingles to help get that look. . .
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 3:47PM
timglidden
Would any other color wood work with an all wool skein main body...?

Really don't like the gray with he wool skein ... So how do I make the "all" wool skein exterior work... Should I go darker with the wood stain ?

Keep I'm mine the soffit and trim is sw porpose .... Has a gray / green tint to it...
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 4:37PM
If you try to wash the shingles with the right green, the wood as is might start to work . . if wife will allow, test watered down paint across the gray . if you use sw olive grove http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7734-olive-grove/
your result will be something like sw connected gray . .
and this may warm it up enough to work with all and keep the wood as is . .
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 4:52PM
mick50
Timglidden, we're you considering staining the whole house, including brick, that olive-taupe in the houzz pic you posted? And changing the roof? I like that combination a lot. I don't know anything about cedar shakes or brick staining, but it sounds like an expensive endeavor! Maybe just stain the cedar shakes and re-shingle the roof?
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 5:51PM
RL Builders
ok, if the house is barely past the 40' setback required by the village and you want to do a garage, you will bring the garage out at least another 24' forward encroaching into the setback. You may need to get a variance for it.

If you want to upgrade the front, you must decide to do that first. if you don't. ascetics that people suggest will be you course of action but if you want to do the garage and can do it per the village. that will change the front drastically in itself. The timbers I see will have to be reworked and that front gable will have to be changed, even taken down otherwise any garage you put there would force you to do a huge valley pan to move water off the roof. In other words. as I see the picture because your garage roof can not be independent of that front veranda with the timbers. Water needs to be pitched off and both roofs will form a dead valley between them. It could work if you had more pitch because you could build one roof line lower but I see a 3-4/12, not enough room.
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 6:32PM
mick50
How about a timber framed carport in front?
http://www.homeadvisor.com/resources.dg.project.LEO-FIKES-CUSTOM-CARPORT.22.36.58321.html

Or...an attached garage on an angle to stay within the setback?
http://www.timberstead.com/index.html
1 Like   June 16, 2014 at 7:04PM
timglidden
Thanks all!!

RL builders should I just do a one car garage to the left and continue the existing roofline? (One car is all I can do with setbacks).
1 Like   June 16, 2014 at 8:07PM
timglidden
Changing the roof and repainting the whole house is really not an option.... As this was all done less then a year ago...

I was just trying to make the house look more uniform....
0 Likes   June 16, 2014 at 8:13PM
timglidden
ok so if I solid stain match the shake in wool skein then re-stain the door and re-stain/ paint the posts.

What colors should I use?

-Darker stain on the door- almost an ebony stain? (its currently provincial minwax)
-Paint posts Dark Gray? Matching the SW porpose facia board maybe?
-Stain the posts a darker ?
0 Likes   June 17, 2014 at 9:23AM
timglidden
a picture I found I just found.....very similar to the original layout I was thinking....
0 Likes   June 17, 2014 at 4:28PM
timglidden
im thinking the dark gray or dark stained posts might work better?
0 Likes   June 17, 2014 at 4:28PM
timglidden
thanks for all the help everyone!! ....I think I am going to solid stain the gray cedar shake to match the brick. Build a carport similar to the one above but haven't decided if it should be a side entrance or front entrance....... suggestions?
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 2:08PM
chezron
I don't know why but the porch supports REALLY bother me. It makes your house look like it is under construction. I think there needs to be a more finished looking or heavier architectural feature--maybe something very craftsmen like the portico on this house. If you do that you can blend a garage in by using the same details.
1 Like   June 23, 2014 at 2:50PM
timglidden
I see what your saying- what about changing out the posts to a thicker cedar post would that look more finished?

I also feel the cedar shake color makes it look Unfinished as it creates a patchwork look....
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 5:05AM
timglidden
Also - for a temporary fix short of changing out the posts- should we just paint them the charcoal gray from the facia board?
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 5:06AM
mick50
I like the side entrance carport. Either way, you need an architect to design it so it fits with your house and lot. Expensive, but it will save you from costly mistakes. As far as the posts, yes, gray. I don't think you need to change the posts, but if you want them to be craftsman, like the picture, they just need stone bases and then built out (wrapped) not replaced.
2 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 5:52AM
timglidden
Would you wrap them in cedar and stain? We like the wood detail... Painting them I feel like they get lost...
If we paint them gray would you stain the door a lighter color?
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 6:22AM
timglidden
Can anyone photo shop a solid body color (gray shake to be same as brick color) and paint the posts the same dark gray as the facia ?
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 6:24AM
mick50
I liked how your house looked in these jhx1 photoshopped pics, with gray posts and cedar shakes. If you want to keep the wood grain on the posts, then use a gray stain, as suggested before. If you want to keep the natural orangish color, then paint your cedar shakes and possibly brick, an olive green. Images by jhx1:
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 7:15AM
mick50
When I look at these pics, I see cream and gray, which I think is a really nice combination. It seems like the front door should be painted red, or have a red- based wood stain.

If you go with olive tones and keep the posts natural, the door could be natural pine or oak to go with the posts, or painted a russet color.

If you want the door to blend in, then paint/stain it a shade lighter or darker than the shakes.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 7:25AM
timglidden
Decisions .... decisions....

Think I'll start with my first instinct to paint the shake to match the brick and then maybe paint the posts gray......

Plan on wrapping them or replacing them with cedar posts so painting charcoal may be the best /cheapest short term option.

I don't like the light gray and white combo from the shakes it looks too "drab" to me...too much blue in them. Like the earth tones better...
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 7:39AM
timglidden
The door is a craftsman Douglas fir door... I could sand and refinish in a lighter color or go with a darker brown similar to Jacobean or Jacobean/ebony mix... I don't like the red tinted color it's turning...
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 7:41AM
Diane Kehn
Great job! Definite curb appeal.
0 Likes   Thanked by timglidden    June 24, 2014 at 7:42AM
timglidden

Really like this color scheme as well.... Brick appears to be a very similar color... With cedar accents...

Leaning more toward the modern then the traditional...
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 7:55AM
timglidden
]

maybe we will also use a cedar slat "screen" similar to this in front of the former garage door (left side of the house) to hide it a bit and add an accent of wood if we paint the posts gray and shake to match brick....
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 8:14AM
Crown Construction Contracting
We just completed a carport in an L shape with storage and closet area. Photos during construction give a better idea of how this looks in person. You could always use the storage area we created as the garage instead.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 8:31AM
timglidden
nice work !! any more pictures ?
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 8:36AM
timglidden
is that a steel beam support?

just curious ballpark what would something like this cost to build...?
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 8:38AM
Crown Construction Contracting
Hi Tim,

Yes, we had to install 2 columns and a beam to achieve the structural span from front to back and side to side. This was quite expensive as it was sided in pre-finished clear knotty cedar siding, with copper fascia and coping, as well as flagstone shipped from Kentucky as it was unavailable in our area. Considering the slope of the drive, being built in a sand dune, the local codes, footings and finishes, it is really too custom to shoot out a price unless you opted for the exact same design. Where do you live? You are welcome to contact me with any questions directly through Houzz and maybe I can help more. Amanda
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 8:58AM
timglidden
I am in Atlanta. Yeah - I am trying to do it on somewhat of a budget..... I'm sure the beams alone were a few thousand $'s......

I can't justify spending a ton on a carport and changing the driveway drastically is looking to also to be costly....

my cheapest route will be removing a portion of the drive infront of the converted garage door and doing a simple carport facing the street.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 9:06AM
timglidden
bored and tried to use paint to play around with some ideas.....and paiting the posts...
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 9:07AM
Crown Construction Contracting
Well consider this was a footprint of about 800SF that had a lot of structural requirements. I'm sure you can do it on a tight budget if it is a smaller size. We had to span TJIs over 30' which helped increase the pricing. If you have one built, I would recommend working with an architect or design/build firm so you know it will be done properly and structurally sound. You can always install your own finishes if you're able to. PS: I like your idea above with he paint and paneling! Good luck to you!
1 Like   Thanked by timglidden    June 24, 2014 at 9:15AM
timglidden
here is the shake matched to the brick....cleaner look IMO.. any thoughts ? before after comparison ...
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 9:42AM
timglidden
]

or something like this to the left side of the house (opposite the picture)

would allow me to leave the driveway as is...what type of roof is that considered a closed gable? shed roof?
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 10:00AM
timglidden
maybe I should put the garage carport at a 45 degree angle to allow easier access vs. a 90 degree L shape and having to re-route the drive?
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 10:08AM
timglidden
]

After some thought- I think a similar garage/ carport like Denita suggested like the one here will work best!! ....it will allow me to use a similar roofline and not change the driveway around drastically....it will also give some depth to the fa├žade of the house.
1 Like   June 25, 2014 at 10:32AM
pcmom1
Yes, be sure there is easy access for driving a car in and out. We added an extra garage at 90 degrees and it is almost too difficult to use!
1 Like   June 25, 2014 at 10:49AM
timglidden
Good to know!! I think the 45 degrees is a good compromise... We may to a carport for now and convert to a garage later...
0 Likes   June 25, 2014 at 11:17AM
timglidden
Really thinking this design would work well over existing driveway (maybe offset a few feet the the left as not to cover windows as much). Thoughts??
1 Like   July 7, 2014 at 10:52AM
Clopay Building Products
Hi. I want to share a before and after photo of a ranch style home that reminds me of yours a little. The finishing touch was new garage doors. The homeowner chose Clopay Gallery Collection Ultra-Grain doors with decorative windows. They look like wood but have a simulated stained woodgrain print finish. They are affordable, low-maintenance and insulated. Clopay also makes the door styles suggested above - high-end carriage house style garage doors and contemporary glass garage doors. Check out these options at www.clopay.com. You can also use the locator to find a dealer in your area. Good luck!
1 Like   Thanked by timglidden    July 7, 2014 at 11:26AM
sstarr
timglidden, I love that design. It's very different from your current style; are you considering other changes?
0 Likes   July 7, 2014 at 11:41AM
timglidden
sstar- i would also be changing the front fence to a horizontal slat to tie into the carport sides.......

any other suggestions to make the modern look work?

maybe also painting the front posts that same dark charcoal as the carport posts or changing the porch posts to cedar?......

also would like to add a low horizontal slat cedar planter on the front porch as well....to the right of the entry....
1 Like   July 7, 2014 at 11:48AM
timglidden
]
something like this planter to the right of the entry....
0 Likes   July 7, 2014 at 11:59AM
sstarr
Yes, I would say either go entirely into the 60's modern style, upgraded, or do a makeover, as you suggest. I like your idea, as it is very current. However, it will probably cost significantly more. You will need to carefully evaluate the ROI for the project in order to make a decsion. I suggest that you do all you can to fully scope it out before going further.
And of course, as a visualizer, I always suggest that you draw precisely what you have in mind. I'm attaching sketches of a couple of other projects in which people were contemplating similar changes. S*
1 Like   Thanked by timglidden    July 7, 2014 at 12:01PM
timglidden
what is everyone's thoughts on this.....?
0 Likes   July 17, 2014 at 12:54PM
Curb Appeal--please help me with doors, carport, shutters
Help! We're expecting a baby in the Spring and I am...
Angie Klaus
acaba
Flat garage wall help! Desperate for curb appeal but have cold feet!
We are getting new Hardi siding and think we want shingles...
kjlrrl
Curb Appeal Help! Garage Door Paint Color and Landscaping
My son and his wife need help in picking a paint color...
lrtriathlete
Would it be a shame to paint my old piano?
The 1st picture is my old piano in my living room....
benani1
Need help choosing paint colors.
We have a "lifted" old home that I would like to look...
patsycatrois
How can I clean this !!!
It is a very old .
gala12
Night stand confusion
I have a beautiful mirrored nightstand for my side...
chasisty1
closet size
smaller walk in closet. minimum size?
sydneyholsworth