teacher1995
February 19, 2012 in Photo Questions
How did you do the partial frost on the glass? My glass manufacturer won't do it:(.
Did you ever figure out a way to get this done for your house?
March 7, 2012 at 2:50pm   
Mary Ryan with Walter E. Smithe
You can get glass etching compound at a hardware store or even a craft store like Michaels or JoAnn. Tape off the area you want, just brush it on, and wait while the magic happens. Rinse and voila!
March 8, 2012 at 1:29pm     
christopher_ferri
remove glass and have someone sandblast section, as mentioned glass etch but that may damage other elements in the area unless done outside, go to a sign or graphics shop and get a piece of 3m Dusted Crystal Vinyl (sand blast look). Use no other brand other than 3M. The rest are junk.
March 8, 2012 at 8:48pm   
teacher1995
Honestly, after much research, I've decided to forgo it for now. I've now had several fabricators say that they can do it, but that the etched portion will be such a crud magnet that it will not look good for very long...and of course that result would be at 2X the price of clear glass. I have etched glass in my laundry room that has not worn well in just 2 years, so I guess that scared me off. I've decided if I miss the privacy I will pursue the obscure add-on options. A friend did all her glass in a poolhouse that way.... it was literally a company that does tinted car windows that did the job.... and they look good. In the meantime, I'm choosing a door knob with a lock:).
March 8, 2012 at 10:25pm   
Jerry Jacobs Design, Inc.
It is quite simple. When the sandblaster does his work he simple protects or covers the are he wants to keep clear. Ideally it is do at the shop, that is before installation. Next time have your designer plan it this way. We have done patterns of all kinds as well as you can see in our work.
April 27, 2012 at 2:29pm   
Kelli Kaufer Designs
You can do your own etching, on the outside of the glass. There is a spray that looks like etching, it is so easy! http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-I00810-Frosting-Aerosol-12-Ounce/dp/B001CEQ39U
April 27, 2012 at 2:32pm     
Jerry Jacobs Design, Inc.
In this case though it was planned ahead, as most of the designs we do, so there was no need to do on site. We design every single detail and do working drawings. When the glass is ordered it is done with the portion to be frosted. Enjoy!
June 20, 2012 at 9:07am   
Carrie Edwards
how wide is the opening into the shower? thanks!
June 2, 2013 at 2:22pm   
Jerry Jacobs Design, Inc.
About 30", check local code
June 8, 2013 at 11:45am   
what would you suggest for this kitchen !! :)
Would you tear out the left side pantry or paint? ...
light or dark grout for a natural jade tile
I will likely use the jade tile with the many shades...
exterior question!
I dislike the color of our brick, it is very pink looking-...
Help me identify these odd wall fixtures
Our house is a 1963 ranch. There are two of these...