Blank space above television--any room for decorating??
cpriday
So many of the designer pictures never have a television. This is where my family gathers to watch television so taking it out is not an option. My question is should the empty space above the tv be decorated. I love the gallery look and wondered if it would be "too much" to put something above it horizontally. As you can see I love a busy room. Also should the leather chair be removed? It does look a little cluttered but we when we have people over, seating seems to be an issue without it.
cpriday
Picture from another direction
    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 8:53AM
KShoa
I'm an artist and would love it if you purchased one of my pieces for that space, but frankly, I think you have too much going on in that room and if I were you, I'd leave that wall alone. You need some blank space to balance the rest of the room :)
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by cpriday    March 18, 2014 at 12:20PM
Denita
KShoa nailed it :)
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by cpriday    March 18, 2014 at 12:23PM
cpriday- I will say for a busy room, you have a nice busy room;) but please leave the TV area blank!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by cpriday    March 18, 2014 at 12:29PM
Now Cassie- Stop it..... look at that room and answer honestly...your abstract selections would not be at all appropriate. You have lost any credibility with your lack of common sense.
6 Likes    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:32PM
cpriday
I do like abstract art and I agree with Kshoa. I love your tree paintings.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 2:38PM
KShoa
Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions about any of them (for another room :)
    Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:02PM
I don't think you really got an answer to your Dilemma. You do have a lot going on and too many styles of furniture. I'd replace the leather and wing chairs with a pair of swivel chairs for flexibility to watch TV. The TV and credenza are the "dark blob' in your space. I rarely advise this, but consider using a smaller screen and mounting it above your FP. Turn the sofa to face the FP/TV and place two swivel chairs right of it and the chair with footstool on the left, all around the coffee table. Remove the stick arrangement and then style your shelves with 1/3 books, 1/3 decor and 1/3 open space. The backs of the shelves would look nice painted in an accent color - maybe a good blue would add something to your space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by cpriday    March 19, 2014 at 11:06AM
cindyguent
I don't know if you are still checking on your thread here, but thought I would throw in my two cents worth anyway. I really like your room, but there IS a lot going on, in a very tasteful way. Your idea to remove the leather chair would help. If you very often need the seating, do you have a smaller chair you could replace it with?
I have a similar situation with my tv wall and have put a large round clock above the tv to balance the space, but my console is lower and tv is bigger. Could still work for you, but I think best if you removed floral and just centered tv. If nothing above tv, then use a large art to left of tv where scrollwork is to balance.
Lastly, if you were to organize your bookshelves with more open space (perhaps removing 1/3 of items there now), that end of room would look less busy.
Attaching my pic for reference.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by cpriday    March 29, 2014 at 5:04AM
edithsmom
What neat furniture you have...I like busy rooms too. Agree that you shouldn't put anything else over the TV...could you remove the vase, center the TV as suggested above and move the wing chair (love the back frame) back about a foot closer to the TV chest? Perhaps removing the smallest items from the bookcase shelves will give a clearer view of the room for people to appreciate the great pieces you have.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by cpriday    March 29, 2014 at 10:55AM
cpriday
Thank you so much for your comments and picture! I agree the leather chair is the thing that does not work in the room-it is the leftover from old stuff. No chair or smaller chair that could be removed would be better. I like how your vase is on the floor with taller floral vines. I appreciate you kind comments and will give the shelves a re-do.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 1:27PM
cindyguent
Don't forget to post new pics. Your room looks very inviting and I feel you love everything around you in your room, much like me. But my girls are always telling me to stop getting more "things" and you know, sometimes less is more (not always, lol).
    Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 4:57PM
Blank Slate for Game Room
We want to use this as a gathering space for company...
lynsibee
new construction - blank slate GREAT ROOM
Where to start with a large great room? Dark floors,...
Susan M.
Blank Slate Sitting Room Ideas
I moved in last September....just now getting around...
townse97
Blank slate in dining room!
I am hoping to get some advice on what to do to make...
tdpowers
large wall space above fire place ideas??
I need ideas for where this tree drawn in charcoal...
blloyd3
window shades
information about garber shades
brucetreichler
Need a new wall color
What color can we choose that will work with this existing...
Allison Smith
Please help my "semi-formal" living room
Houzzers, it's been over 2 years since we moved into...
Lori
Looking for replacement handles for bedroom furniture
Can't find the right size draw pulls for 5 3/4 inch...
lemmonskml
HELP! These end tables are too large for my living space. Ideas??
I have hideous and huge matching end tables. Should...
jlcronin