New trend or not
judie
March 18, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I"m hearing about using two different styles and upholstered love seat and sofa in room. What are requirements to keep it from looking like a jig saw puzzle?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hanna1984
Like one of these two? Three different upholstery patterns or mixing leather and fabric. Modern living The Sierra Showhome (Calgary, Alberta)
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 1:41PM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
This has been "done" for generations in Europe. So long as you have a "theme" working, you can work the two pieces into a design that would classify as "eclectic". Sticking with the "theme" is where a designer is going to keep your room from turning into "franken-room".
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 1:45PM
judie
Thanks for your reply. I did not make myself clear. A sofa and loveseat (not chairs) of like styles and different upholstery -- stripe on one piece and solid on the other but color related.
0 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 1:54PM
houssaon
I think that would work. I would add a chair to the equation.
1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 1:56PM
PRO
JudyG Designs
I would not buy and sofa and a love seat. Finding an appropriate sized coffee table is just one of the obstacles you can run into with this pairing. I would do either two sofas or two love seats.

But the two can be different styles and fabrics, if that is what you want. Just keep the pieces in scale.

1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 1:57PM
PRO
LB Interiors
For two sofas of the same style - two fabrics can be different.
Keep the style the same.
I would not like the style and also the fabric to be different.
1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 2:29PM
syncope
Honestly, it's more of a personal preference these days. The above two posts clearly show differing view points from two professionals. Just keep the room flowing and connected by theme, color or style and pretty much anything goes.
1 Like   March 18, 2014 at 2:37PM
hanna1984
I agree with LB. I've seen two sofas, sofa and loveseat or sofa and chairs - all of the same style - but with coordinating fabric for years and years. When you buy all of the pieces of a set, it's the easy way of making sure everything goes together and avoids clashing styles and colors. It's not the most exciting way to decorate but, it is the easiest. :)
2 Likes   March 18, 2014 at 2:44PM
Craig CraigMDesigns
It is almost impossible to make a different sofa and love seat work unless you're going for a totally Bohemian/gypsy look with all different rugs and textiles draped around. A sofa with two or three different chairs works but there must be a conversation between them all of contrast and relationship of styles, eras, colors or patterns.
Matched sets of anything is a very conventional traditional look .
0 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 11:50AM
syncope
I respect your opinion craigmdesign, but I must also respectfully disagree. As seen in the photo posted by Judy G, it does not require a bohemian style for two different sofas to play well with each other. The look Judy G posted is fairly traditional in style but has a few tweaks that make the room more interesting, e.g., using different styles in the sofas and well- chosen fabrics for the cushions and other pieces of furniture.

Matched sets are very conventional and traditional and easy to accomplish. However, using unmatched pieces together successfully is not, in my opinion, "almost impossible". Many design styles can and do successfully marry varying furniture styles without becoming "totally bohemian/gypsy". Personally, I love the bohemian look because of its diversity; however, as long as the pieces are of basically the same shape and visual weight, any design style can withstand the use of two different types of sofas in the same room.

The decision to use matching pieces or not is obviously a personal one but I would feel remiss if I did not point out that, if one chooses not to go the conventional, traditional route, it takes just a little research and understanding of basic design principles to accomplish. It is well within the realm of possibilities.
1 Like   March 19, 2014 at 12:45PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I think it takes more planning and forethought to successfully bring a room together with mismached anything. It is harder to do.
1 Like   March 19, 2014 at 2:20PM
syncope
Harder yes. But definitely doable.
2 Likes   March 19, 2014 at 2:25PM
judie
Thank you all. I had actually seen in the rags that matching sofa & love seat dated the room. Good to see the opinions. I find JudyG's room quite interesting and not gaudy or pieced together, but quite the opposite even with the zebra rug. Nice.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 7:42PM
judie
Correction: zebra ottoman.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:17PM