Need Help Choosing Exterior Doors for small New England cape!
jpaulin
Hello, I'm in the process of renovating this antique small cape for my mother in law and would like some input regarding the style (& color/finish) of exterior doors to use for the main and side (mud room) entrance. I want to let in as much light as possible and I'm open to having slightly different doors so long as they are of the same style and solid wood.

For the main entrance I was thinking of going with the attached door from Brosco and finishing it a natural golden/yellow pine and side lights on one or both sides.

Let me know your thoughts
bluenan
That door is too Craftsman for your farmhouse. Why not a 3/4 lite French door, you could still use a sidelight or make it wider and not use a sidelight.

March 19, 2014 at 11:59AM        Thanked by jpaulin
jpaulin
Thanks for the reply. I think that would work nicely for the side entrance...but will need more privacy for the front entrance.
March 19, 2014 at 12:29PM   
bluenan
Whatever you choose, just be sure that your muntin configuration is the same style on both doors.
Massachusetts Farm House
Concord Green Home
March 19, 2014 at 12:49PM      Thanked by jpaulin
flair lighting
just not sure how above will work with color of house?
March 19, 2014 at 12:53PM   
flair lighting
maybe just switch the doors...
March 19, 2014 at 12:55PM   
bluenan
The examples were purely for style, not color:)
March 19, 2014 at 12:56PM     
giniaginia
Lovely house. I love the colors. Bluenan's door idea. Normally I would say paint the door a fun color but I'm really lovin the white door. I love the front steps. Simple classic landscaping. It's a beauty.
March 19, 2014 at 12:58PM     
flair lighting
i also think a railing would be lovely and some terracotta pots
March 19, 2014 at 1:02PM   
victorianbungalowranch
I like the existing front door for your house and the side door is OK, but a more classic French, 3/4 or 1/2 light door would be OK too, especially on the side. I think a painted door would suit the style of your house better than a natural finish, and would be easier to maintain, as well as give it a bit of a color punch.

It is a little hard to classify the style of your house without more information, but it is definitely not a Cape Cod. I would say vernacular cottage circa early 1900s just looking at the photo. The porch posts are a little too skinny for the house, and a railing and maybe a spandrel (spindels on top) would be nice. Those changes would put it more in the Folk Victorian direction. Or you could change them out to simple square columns with a bit of cap, base and astragal (molding a little down from the capital) molding, which would take it a bit more Greek Revival. flair Do you have any old photos? That could give you some clues.

Too bad not even custom doors are made the way they used to be made, with horizontal, not vertical panels under the glass unless you go with a 3.4 or full light (glass) door. This is the style used on many, many simple homes all across the states. Perhaps you could find a salvage door.

And here are some pictures of traditional wood storm doors and under porch lattice and simple houses of a similar vintage with full and half light doors..

I found some samples of the simple doors used a century ago at the http://www.oldhouseparts.com/inventory.php?Category1=windows%20and%20doors&Category2=antique%20doors&Category3=with%20glass

Unfortunately people are taking out their old doors and they are being sawed up and used in the garden and all kinds of places besides on the house. The Craftsman Blog has good instructions on using metal weatherstripping on old doors if you use a salvage door.
March 19, 2014 at 2:24PM     
quercus2
This house is not a Cape.
March 19, 2014 at 2:33PM   
Need helping choosing exterior door color for my 1940's cape remodel
Hi! I am renovating a 1940's cape and we just replaced...
Need help choosing exterior paint now that I have a new BLACK door
I recently replaced my front oak door with a black...
Need help choosing a new door and updating the exterior
The original 1958 door from back when my grandfather...
Need help with cedar wrap on support beams
My contractor talked me out of solid cedar and recommended...
Ideas to modernize dining room set? Please ???
I inherited this set from my parents and hate it. ...
need help with wall color
My kitchen wall needs color. The area I prep and cook...
Need help with our kitchen
We are currently thinking of remodeling our kitchen...
need help for making my house
the dimension of my house is 20.55x9.20x17x14.90 metres,...