What color for living room with this large fireplace?
bakermkcMarch 19, 2014
We would like to go with a modern color scheme with grey tones. Thinking about a very dark color for the fireplace... Appreciate advice.
Warner Decor
Hi! I think that paint is always a hard thing to choose. At first glance, if you are wanting to go with a darker tone, I think a purple-red would look nice. Here are some throw pillows to use for paint-matching or inspiration:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/judy-ross-textiles-waves-pillow-rouge-cream/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/judy-ross-textiles-spray-pillow-cream-rouge/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/bardot-blush-pillow/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/belle-and-june/judy-ross-textiles-fauna-pillow-cream-rouge-berry/

Hope this helps!
    Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 4:55PM
marysly
Just thinking how great your fire place will look after painting the walls in a warm grey.
Good luck
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 5:42PM
fuji400
It doesn't look like you get a lot of natural light in your living room and you need that warmth to get the desired affect. Warm grays always look great in photos but you'll notice the big windows too. I recently tried to paint my living room but suffer the same fate - my dining room has all the light. Anyway, multiple attempts later I decided that gray always looked blueish and sickly at best. I tried to go from a light cafe au lait to gray with no luck. The paint samples were from my failed experiment. Just three of the six shades of gray that I tried with an update on the top left of the existing color. You decide.
    Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 5:48PM
hacksu
I had a similar fireplace and faced it with 16" multi-color slate tiles. Then I chose brown and grey furniture and a red accent wall to set everything off.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 5:53PM
imdb
I would take colors from the rug you have. This room looks dark to begin with. Update the overhead lighting, paint, find something substantial to place on your mantel and use another color from your rug for more accents.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 3:08PM
rocketjcat
Hmm, I think it would be good to have some lighting pros in on this dilemma.... is the room really as dark as it appears in the picture? What is on the wall opposite the fireplace? I think I would work on updating the lighting before deciding to paint the fireplace any darker. Just my opinion.
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 5:06PM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
I really agree with rocketjcat's comments about the lighting. If you can change to ceiling cans that is going to make a big change in that space. And, I would consider changing the facing of the entire fireplace with tile or a light colored natural stone. This is the focal point of this entire space and needs to be the commanding feature.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 6:09PM
rocketjcat
Bumping this up to see if lighting designers would chime in with suggestions?
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 3:33PM
kcaron
If your fireplace is the main focus then I would leave it that color, put a statement piece on the mantel and possibly have some kind of seating near it/focused to it. Not sure how that could happen with the railing. I would take one of the rich deeper colors out of the rug and paint the walls as that would tie this space to your warm kitchen with the black counter tops. Your floors are beautiful so the contrast in the light of the fireplace mixed with the richness of the floors would further set off the room.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 3:56AM
judygilpin
I am assuming that you want to paint your walls a light grey color as you stated you wanted to go with "grey tones". Paint the walls first to make sure a dark fireplace won't make your space too dark. If it does, paint the fireplace one or two tones darker than the walls. If you have plenty of light, then go with a medium charcoal. I wouldn't go to the trouble or expense of resurfacing with tile or slate. I would also put more dramatic accessories on the mantel..........a piece of art or 2 or 3 large vases in the color tones of your carpet. The small pieces you now have are the wrong proportion for the size of your fireplace.

Have fun and Good Luck.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:20AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
You need a heavier Mantle to balance all that Brick also the Lighting does not fit Period of Home , soft light from Lamps would be nice The walls a Warm Brown with red Undertones..remove Fireplace tools from Brick set on Floor and for a decorative touch add Birch logs in Cubbie , also the Rug is visually disturbing move to a solid to pull in Kitchen. Sans the Small Nick knacks and Tiny Clock replace with a Eye Catching Painting or a Mirror Rustic , If the Brick are Painted use a wire Brush to remove some Paint to give it a more used look to give more texture and visual Interest
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:31AM
AnAhitA Nazeri
Foot Note there is to much leather going on Bland Palette add some Serapi Throws and Pillows
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:35AM
judygilpin
Don't change the area rug as suggested above. If you went to a solid carpet color, your room would be boring. I like your area rug.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:36AM
carrieandjimh
Check out Jeff Lewis Paints...sold at Home Depot....a beautiful line of darker modern colors.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:48AM
Bridget Sexton
I would lighten up the whole room.All the dark furniture makes that big fireplace stand out too much. Brighten things up!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:41AM
mawesome
You should pant it a light light green
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:44AM
bakermkc
The walls and fireplace same color?
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:49AM
Environmental Health Consulting Inc.
I agree about a heavier mantle. How about opening some of the fireplace up (budget?) - removing some of the brickwork. If not how about some mirror or quartz or something that is light. I'd remove the lights that hang down from the beams too... (they add to the business of the room).
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 11:52AM
barbten
What a great fireplace! I'd go with a medium/dark gray, display some larger items on the mantle (use the rug for colors) and go with a soft gray for the walls ( I just found Gray Clouds by Sherwin-Williams ).
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 1:44PM
judygilpin
barbten, I just said the same thing about 4 comments before yours. I guess great minds think alike.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 2:09PM
tudormomb
I did the walls of a white kitchen in a mushroomy gray in preparation for selling my home. It was stunning and made the white pop. I was sorry I hadn't done it years earlier! The room had a rustic slate floor which looked even more beautiful with the paint.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 2:24PM
carrieandjimh
I would paint the fireplace 2 shades darker then the walls....( whichever color you choose for the walls)
Then I would paint the log holder box INSIDE a pop of color ...like an orange color from your rug...
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 2:36PM
Karen Vanelli
If your going to keep that rug...I'd go with the burnt orange for the walls! You'll love it....looks warm and cozy, and it looks like you got some great lighting!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:05PM
Karen Vanelli
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:05PM
judygilpin
I really like burnt orange, BUT, I'd be carful in doing the entire room in it. Maybe a accent wall would be more appropriate.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 4:34PM
barbten
I agree. Burnt orange can get to be too much! Try some great arrangement of items on the mantle (painted medium/dark gray) in orange and red or teal? Make it pop!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:24PM
barbten
A rich yellow is also good with gray!
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 6:25PM
dragonfly1153
Try Behr premium paint in Silver Drop. It's a pale gray with a touch of taupe. Looks awesome with white trim.
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 7:12PM
lrhicks
Terracotta/brick for the walls and a sandy-beige for the fireplace. You need a chunky mantle shelf which could be accomplished with a wide piece of trim moulding around the existing shelf. Try adding a small "touch" light in the recessed opening next to the fireplace and putting something textural in there (pine ones, dried flowers, a textural basket, etc)
    Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:40PM
tootoovintagemarket
Seems like the room is already dark, and grey would make it darker. I agree with checking out the lighting first. Also it seems like a strange arrangement, as though the sofa is backed up against a stair well banister? This does not center the rug on the fireplace.
Rearrange the furniture and put the rug centered ion the fireplace, pick colors from the rug...lighter color for the wall, accent color for the fireplace...ie terra cotta/brick as suggested by Irhicks. The fireplace needs re-doing to give it a more updated look. Definitely take the fireplace tools off the face, and make the mantle more impressive!
    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 12:44AM
judygilpin
tootoovintagemarket, I agree with what you're saying, but it looks like the railing runs in the middle of the fireplace, so the rug couldn't be centered in front of it. Kind of an odd shaped room to effectively arrange the furniture around the fireplace.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 6:09AM
tootoovintagemarket
judygilpin.......Hi...I looked at the photo again....it appears that the railing lines up with the end
of the fireplace?
    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 4:38PM
judygilpin
tootoovintagemarket, Hi...Geez you have a long "name". Anyway, I hope you're correct about the railing. Otherwise everything has to be crowded into an area that pretty much ignores the fireplace.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 4:55PM
toothygrin
I painted my living room Duxbury Grey from Benjamin Moore. The colour looks grey with a hint of blue and in some light people think it's green. The colour changes with the light. This colour was chosen by a decorator and I painted the ceiling and cove white so it looks really crisp. The furniture is charcoal grey with chocolate leather chairs, mahogany tables and a natural cherry floor. Check out this colour at your paint store or on-line at Benjamin Moore. It's considered to be a neutral and is a colour you wont' see often , think you will like it.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 9:00PM
tootoovintagemarket
judygilpin......sorry about the name...that's the name of my vintage shop on Etsy.com. But take another look at the photo, and you will see that the railing aligns with the end of the fireplace........it is kind of an awkward arrangement?
    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 10:09PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Try Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore for that warm gray, leave the fireplace as is.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 11:03PM
judygilpin
I agree with the Revere Pewter. The Duxbury Gray looks too dark for your room......on-line, anyway.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 3:45AM
tutiq
I'm seeing lots of ideas here with mushroom gray walls. That would work with the rug if it is a warm gray. Then replace the ceiling spots with can lights, bulk up the fireplace mantel and stain it to match the wood floor. Instead of burnt orange I would use a more modern shade of orange for pillows & accents. The cream fireplace color would also brighten up the room as another accent color. A large modern painting with orange, browns, creams and grays would pull the room together as well. You might carry a few orange accents into the kitchen such as stacked orange bowls on the counter and orange kitchen towels .One last thing... I think there may be too much of a good thing with all leather. Perhaps you could slipcover the ottoman (and a chair if possible) in a geometric fabric). I know this sounds like a lot of change but most of it you could do yourself.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:09AM
fitzcisco
I also have the challenge of a dark room like this. I am guessing from the photos you may have a post and beam structure like I do. If so, your lighting options are limited. I've also had to use track lighting however I mounted it on the side of the beams, as high as possible. This is slightly less problematic. also there is now a variety of fixtures that will give you a more updated look.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:35AM
fitzcisco
Hmmm. You do have can lighting in the kitchen. If you can go to that.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:37AM
Sustainable Dwellings
A rusty finish on the fireplace, add larger items around clock. A warm gray on walls.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:42AM
Angela Scollar Designs - Decorating Den Interiors
A dark grey would be a nice color if you get lots of light in the room. Color changes so much depending on time of day and amount of light in the room itself. It's best to decide when we're in the space. Decorating Den is a national franchise so you can find someone near you. Happy decorating.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:47AM
Forgot to mention that we offer free initial consultations and we come to your home.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:53AM
Shelly Aucoin
I personally think that in order to modernize the fireplace it will (at the least) need to be painted a bright, flat white. if you can spare the money, I would suggest adding some thin glass tiles in a staggered pattern. A grey/white/clear pallet would look great with the grey you mention.
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:14PM
barbten
Agree! A light,warm gray would work! How about a shade lighter on the fireplace with a few different width stripes (2-5") in colors from your rug around the fireplace ! Piece of art - !
    Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:59PM
Need help with my large living room wall
We bought this home 2yrs ago and have tried everything...
d5sc
Large Living room need help!
Large living room, fireplace on the left and large...
Sheila Haugen
Help with furniture layout for large living room
I just purchased a 60s rancher with a large (15x30)...
rebeccapeyton
Living Room colors & Fireplace ideas
Hi, Ignore the furniture. Photos are from when the...
caitiekay
desperately need help designing large living room
I'm living in a flat near Beirut...long story. Anyway,...
sarahsaad77
need exterior color ideas please :)
1950 Ranch Style home, Fort Worth TX it has rock composite...
Christi Rodriguez
color to paint kitchen?? HELP
any ideas on what color to paint this kitchen?
brittcharbonneau
Thoughts on painted wainscoting.....
I bought my house a little over a year ago. It had...
Cynthia Charleville
Help finishing my dining room
Looking for suggestions on finishing touches in my...
mom2asillywilly
Fireplace
Hello! We are in the process of doing some updates....
Katrina Perry