What genuinely makes a house a home?
Luke Buckle
You may think it a trite old saying but there must be some good reasons people LOVE their homes, while others just persist with them. What is the real clincher for you?
thiamom
For me, it's actually putting some elbow grease into it, making it my own. Whether it's painting (myself), or planting a garden. It's the investment of thought and time and that incredibly wonderful feeling of accomplishment you get when you do it yourself. You get to know the house intimately that way and it becomes yours
March 19, 2014 at 7:42pm        Thanked by Luke Buckle
Luke Buckle
Thiamom, that's a great way to think of it. Genuine physical and emotional effort forge a bond that probably goes much deeper than picking just changing a rug or painting a wall.
March 19, 2014 at 8:56pm     
chookchook2
The enormous amount my last move cost me.
March 19, 2014 at 9:00pm     
alewpanda
Being able to put my own colors on the wall and to change the things that annoyed me when I was renting :) Seriously though -- a happy set up for the dog, big windows, comfy space to hang out with hubby and girlfriends. No beige....anywhere.
March 19, 2014 at 9:07pm     
okdokegal
My stuff is in, the basic stuff is in place where I can find it; the exterior is going to do the job (keep the weather and wildlife out) and the climate control is going to do it's thing (heating, cooling, water, plumbing).... my bed is clear and the shower and stove and toilet and fridge work. I LIVE here. That's what makes it home.

I agree Chooky, my last move was past a nightmare and took us two years to physically recover from. I'm not moving again.

One high point about it being ours... is planting a lilac tree if there isn't one there. Last place before this, we bought a little lilac in a pot with one flower stalk; and it was going to snow right after so we put it in the living room for the few days, and it BLOOMED and smelled up the whole living room. It got planted 10 feet away outside and when we left there it was well established and doing purple majesty every spring. We planted lots more trees before we left there.

Here we planted trees too. So maybe that's it. It's home when we can plant trees. A legacy for after us. (giving flowers, fruit, shade, shelter...) Putting the roots down, literally.
March 19, 2014 at 9:24pm     
Susan Bird
I think mine is because everything was bought individually over time and loving it. Also decorating with objects that we bought while overseas that now have beautiful memories for us. We are making our family history with these and I think nothing beats that for us.

Even my plants have been with us for at least 10 years and grew with us. I had even given them names just so when my son was a baby he wouldn't pull on their leaves (oh the funny days). Now he loves them more than me probably...

I suppose it's just the love in the house that makes it a home.
March 20, 2014 at 12:39am     
Thos. Baker
A house is a home if it's the place you most love to be.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
March 20, 2014 at 12:59am      Thanked by Luke Buckle
chookchook2
Bump
April 2, 2014 at 8:16pm   
Need help with color of wood blinds
My wood floors are the color of cinnamon and my furniture...
When is a bench appropriate for a dining room?
We've always liked the look of a bench. When is it...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...