Is this couch too big for the living room??
Georgia Kerunsky
March 19, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I have bought my very first duplex and is in the midst of being built. I like modern but I like it to be comfy. I have been trying to get furniture organized so Ill be ready to move in once the house is complete. I have been having difficulties finding couches that are in my price range and I having been leaning more towards sectionals. I found one that is not exactly a sectional but close and on sale so in my budget. Now Im not the best at deciding if this looks proportionate or not so I need help! I have had the couch drawn up on a blue print. My duplex is an open floor plan. The living room is 11 x 13 and the kitchen is 9 x 12. In the drawing is the couch and a small side chair. Please let me know your thoughts. I like the couch but I dont want it to look like a elephant in the room. Couch is 121" L x 25"D x 26" H. As well as a side note I really like color and so was hoping to put lots of color in the room like yellow chairs in the kitchen, bright lamps and pillows, stuff like that. So I dont know if that would contribute to size.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mcbmd3
The wrong sofa is an expensive mistake. I would advise you to replicate the dimensions with paper, even newspaper, and lay it on the floor. That way it is a visual clue to whether or not it will work. If you need a 3D visual, use cartons to replicate the cubic feet it would consume. Good luck.
March 19, 2014 at 9:55pm   
PRO
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I would buy a regular straight couch, not a sectional. Sectionals take up a lot of room and are awkward in small spaces. Do you have an IKEA nearby ? They have affordable couches that are not massive. If you buy a 76" long couch you can place a chair on either side to create a nice seating area.
March 19, 2014 at 11:28pm   
danieBOB
I agree - I'd go with a regular couch instead of a sectional.

I used to love sectionals until we actually got one. Where a sofa/loveseat or sofa/chairs combination offers flexibility and options, a sectional is stuck. When we had a sectional there were only 2 places it would fit in the living room, which completely limited my options as far as decorating was concerned.
March 19, 2014 at 11:53pm