Is this couch too big for the living room??
Georgia Kerunsky
I have bought my very first duplex and is in the midst of being built. I like modern but I like it to be comfy. I have been trying to get furniture organized so Ill be ready to move in once the house is complete. I have been having difficulties finding couches that are in my price range and I having been leaning more towards sectionals. I found one that is not exactly a sectional but close and on sale so in my budget. Now Im not the best at deciding if this looks proportionate or not so I need help! I have had the couch drawn up on a blue print. My duplex is an open floor plan. The living room is 11 x 13 and the kitchen is 9 x 12. In the drawing is the couch and a small side chair. Please let me know your thoughts. I like the couch but I dont want it to look like a elephant in the room. Couch is 121" L x 25"D x 26" H. As well as a side note I really like color and so was hoping to put lots of color in the room like yellow chairs in the kitchen, bright lamps and pillows, stuff like that. So I dont know if that would contribute to size.
mcbmd3
The wrong sofa is an expensive mistake. I would advise you to replicate the dimensions with paper, even newspaper, and lay it on the floor. That way it is a visual clue to whether or not it will work. If you need a 3D visual, use cartons to replicate the cubic feet it would consume. Good luck.
March 19, 2014 at 9:55pm   
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
I would buy a regular straight couch, not a sectional. Sectionals take up a lot of room and are awkward in small spaces. Do you have an IKEA nearby ? They have affordable couches that are not massive. If you buy a 76" long couch you can place a chair on either side to create a nice seating area.
March 19, 2014 at 11:28pm   
danieBOB
I agree - I'd go with a regular couch instead of a sectional.

I used to love sectionals until we actually got one. Where a sofa/loveseat or sofa/chairs combination offers flexibility and options, a sectional is stuck. When we had a sectional there were only 2 places it would fit in the living room, which completely limited my options as far as decorating was concerned.
March 19, 2014 at 11:53pm   
too large couch for room, what to do with the big wall, windows?
We just moved into this house, and there is no money...
Is this rug too dark for my couch and living room?
I found this rug that I love, totally the color palette...
Can a painting be too big? From top of couch to the ceiling. Help!
Hi all, I don't have a picture unfortunately since...
Couch too big? Advice please
We received our new couch yesterday and I am wondering...
Living room help
Hello! We live in a tri-level home and just completed...
Ideas for dated kitchen in old cape cod
Hi everyone, Awesome site first of all. My fiancé...
decorative unfinished wood
I need help with what to do with this unfinished piece...
Need help thinking about my windows valance
I'm unsure if we should keep this valance or change...