HELP!!! I need some suggestions for landscaping!!! Please.

kimberlyMarch 20, 2014
Moved into our house last July so now it's time to do some landscaping. We want to do something pretty behind our pool. I have a landscaper coming today to remove all of the grass. He doesn't do design though. Also, I think it would be pretty to go all the way down the fence. Next...area next to my house...still in the backyard. I think I should have the hedge taken out cuz it is so overgrown. I love boxwoods and the look of an english garden. Any suggestions would be SO appreciated. Thanks!
garden design online
my suggests
    Bookmark   Thanked by kimberly    March 20, 2014 at 6:54AM
hanna1984
While the landscaper is there removing the shrub, have him remove the crepe myrtle too. It is too close to the house. I'm going to suggest seating, large planters, a SMALL statue type feature - your yard is too small for anything taller that 3-4 ft. or wider than 3 ft. I would suggest more of an English Cottage look than a formal English Garden. You need to hire a landscape designer. You have so very little planting areas, that to maximize every square foot of space, you need someone in your area to work up a plan that will give you the look you want. :) :
Heights 1 · More Info
Karen Aitken & Associates · More Info
Historic Garden Restoration in Wilmette, Illinois · More Info
Backyard Perennial Garden · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by kimberly    March 20, 2014 at 7:41AM
kimberly
hanna1984, Thanks for your suggestions. So funny...we just moved from Park Ridge, IL. I used to go to Chalet all the time. I haven't found anyplace here remotely close to chalet.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:31AM
hanna1984
LOL! It looks like you are in a warmer area if your pictures were just taken. Time to get that pool ready!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by kimberly    March 20, 2014 at 8:41AM
okdokegal
Pressure wash the fence. Skin your side with some wde roughsawn boards at 45 degrees instead of vertical or horizontal, and give them a 'red cedar' treatment. Lean towards Hanna1984's first picture. You can do a strip of 'square foot gardening' type planting bed along there, raised a bit, hide some low voltage accent lights, and get some plants growing back there to back off your fencing area. What ever you choose make sure to keep it topped out at no more than a foot higher than the fence top. Pick one spot and put some colorful 'wall art' on the fence, frame it a bit with your growing stuff, and aim some of your low voltage at it to make it a focal point for your evening/after dark use.

The big wide open dead grass area would lend well to pavers, a pergola, and some seating and maybe a firepit feature. Again put some lighting out there so it could be used in the evening.

The tree and bush have to come out. Put a bit of a pergola again, and you can put seating there, or later put a grill and place to put an ice filled cooler for cooking outdoors.
    Bookmark   Thanked by kimberly    March 20, 2014 at 10:19AM
hanna1984
Oh, I forgot about lights! Low voltage are perfect as they can be installed at the same time as your other plants and hardscaping. :)
    Bookmark   Thanked by kimberly    March 20, 2014 at 3:27PM
kimberly
Ok...the bush is out. I like the tree though, it's so pretty when it blooms and it blooms all summer. I'm going to take a better pic tomorrow. The area is outside of my back door. The grass is gone from the area in front of the fence now too. Pics to come...
    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:30PM
Red Berm
I would bet you live in southern ca. Why not a raised herb garden which is very English with some iceberg roses and boxwood hedge. I draw landscape plans for southern ca so if you are in that area I can help.
    Bookmark   Thanked by kimberly    March 20, 2014 at 8:40PM
kimberly
Red Berm...No, but I did live in Malibu 2 years ago! We currently live outside of Memphis, TN. Since the area is in the back of the pool, we want some color. We have a deck and gazebo which look out to the pool.
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 5:42AM
kimberly
OK...here are the most recent pics. I am standing on my deck looking out to the pool. Pic gives a better idea of the areas.
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 7:38AM
hanna1984
That crepe myrtle is too close to the house. Yank it out and find a spot for a dwarf crepe myrtle. Maybe two! :)
General Photos · More Info
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 1:27PM
70s ranch front entrance landscape needs major attention. Please help
We are making major renovations to this ranch house...
pupin
need help with landscaping project please
I have bought a country place on a lake with a steep...
brueholl
Need your help on landscaping please
I have never been much of a green thumb but the older...
dismukes01
Need Landscape Ideas to Divide Landscape with Neighbor
We just moved into this house and have a neighbor that...
Tam Doan
Help I need a new roof and landscaping ideas!
After a ton of ice and snow damage we need to replace...
cmcole01
Blah living/dining room! Solutions?!
This dining room living combination needs a new look! The...
soosun2
Need some curb appeal help for my rectangular basic ranch
Moved in the fall have had a brutal winter here in...
Annie Wolkovich
Awkward living room
18feet long and about 12 feet wide. The fireplace is...
ecalderwood
Colors that compliment Functional Gray by Sherwin Williams?
I've already started another post about bedroom colors...
Ryan Kelley
Marianna Golubenko
Sponsored Products
Dawson 18-Inch Khaki Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$59.95 | Bellacor
Savoy House Olde World Knight Antique Copper Two-Light Vanity Light
$238.00 | LuxeDecor
Alfresco Home Gira Oil Fire Burner - Chianti Red - Set of 2 - ALH1707
$99.99 | Hayneedle
Pape Bronze One-Light Dome Pendant with Opal Ribbed Glass
$279.00 | Bellacor
Chintaly Molly Motion Back Dining Side Chairs - Beige - Set of 2 - CTY1180
$427.24 | Hayneedle
Keter Corfu Outdoor Loveseat - Brown - 214770
$169.99 | Hayneedle
Savoy House Main Street Liberty Walnut Patina Four-Light Vanity Light
$164.00 | LuxeDecor
Easton 22-Inch Blue Rain Decorative Pillows, Set of 2
$100.95 | Bellacor