Need help with living room decoration
alyzem
March 20, 2014 in Polls
I am struggling with the decoration.
I would like to mix both modern and antique styles as welta s I add ing some color but I am not sure how. I was thinking teal?
I would also like to add a rug in the sofa area. And an armchair for reading.
I would also need storage space.
Why kind of art work would you put up?
I need to make this room feel cosy . Pelase help. Thanks
Most accent colors would work given the relatively neutral base currently in the room.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:40AM
alyzem
Yes i guess most acent colors would work the problem is i don't know how to included them, any ideas?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:58AM
debbietarrant
The end wall of the lounge would be ideal as a feature wall. I'd include a large, framed mirror to reflect light from the sliding doors in the dining room. A floor rug and scatter cushions which echo your accent color would really add some character to the room. There seems to be a nook/alcove in your dining room. How about some built in shelves for storage?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:57AM
alyzem
debbietarrant thanks for your ideas. i will certainly build in some shelves in the nook in my dining room, i think they will look great specially since the space is convered with wallpaper with parsley pattern.

As for the end wall of the lounge i do think it would be ideal as a feature wall. I think including a large, framed mirror to reflect light is a good idea. Would you do anything else on that wall to make it pop out? I must let you know that the end wall of the lo unge is also the entrance. (See pic)
Instead of the mirror i had also thought about hanging small frames with black and white family pics. Although i guess i could put those up some where else. What do you think?

As for the rug i don't know which tone to choose. Would you go for a light neutral tone or include color? Pattern or no pattern?

Any ideas on how to make the wall behind the sofa look shorter maybe a large art piece?

As for the space where the stroller is i would like to place an armchair there in a soft teal color. I would like it to be vintage. Do you think it would look nice?

Sorry for soooo many questions!
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 2:36PM
debbietarrant
Definitely paint the whole wall in your feature color, it would make a great statement when visitors arrive. Maybe put the family pics there? Don't make them too small as they'd lose some of their impact. Black and whites are so stylish. Don't go too neutral with the rug, especially as you have a small child. Geometric patterns are on trend at the moment, but you can't go wrong with a classic oriental, maybe with some of the teal in it. Oriental rugs never go out of style, go with any other decor and hide a multitude of sins (spills, dog hairs etc!!) An artwork behind the sofa would really 'pop' on that neutral wall, especially with the sofa being neutral too. A vintage chair in a gorgeous print would contrast fabulously with your existing modern furniture. You got it girl - Go for it and good luck.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 1:08AM
alyzem
Hadn't thought about the dirt and still son the rug! Thanks debbie!

Yes please. Cassie! Suggestions are more than welcome!
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 4:17PM
Shiraz Design
In my eyes the things are missing are: The rug, Art work and pillows.
ACCENTS!
I would go with a plain rug with a simple border for dining area and a bigger rug for family room.Obviously there is no pattern in the room and you could build it with a nice mid tone neutral color in rug with smooth pattern, not so bold because there are enough dark items in the room(Floor, Coffee table, media table, Bench).
walls: Nice big art work on sofa's wall and few different sizes picture frames on the other wall.could be family pictures or photos by your favorite artist .
Then complete the design with colorful patterned pillows.
The color scheme depends on your taste.
You have your furniture in neutral color which matches with almost any color.
If you like gray tone you may go with: Rug in grays(different shades of gray), red/purple in art work and pillows.
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 4:46PM
alyzem
Cassie I've looked at the art pieces you've suggested and those that go best with my taste are those with blue tones. I will be looking at more art pieces though but if I finally decide on purchasing one i will contanct you
1 Like   March 24, 2014 at 2:48PM
alyzem
Shiraz thank you for your ideas. I like the rugs and pillows you suggested although rather than grey i would go for beige as the walls have a beige color.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:51PM
alyzem
Here are some living rooms and dining rooms that i have . I would like to be able to get some of those elements and include them in my house

0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:54PM
1 Like   March 24, 2014 at 2:55PM
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:56PM
alyzem
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:57PM
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:58PM
alyzem
Here are some pillows, an armchair and stool a i found what do u think?
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 4:04PM
alyzem
Sorry prev post went all wrong!
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 4:06PM
Stuck-need help on living room- need help decorating- furniture ideas
My living room comes off the front entrance and it...
jannnnn
Need help with decoration tips for our living room / dining room
We have been struggling deciding what to put on the...
Karla
Need help decorating living room dining room
Hello!! I want to start with dining room and need...
melissacoxsummey
Need help with living room and connecting dining room decorating.
After selling all our furniture because we thought...
qljanice
Entryway lighting
My entryway is also used as a small eating area in...
amyls64
Paint Ideas for Kitchen
I'm on a tight budget, and I despise the wall color...
Tabor Jorns
ממ״ד
So I'm thinking about making the ממ״ד my main bedroom...
Gabriel Lessem
Need Help For a Green Area in the Lobby!
Hello everyone! We are under process of building...
ashut0sh
Removing kitchen tile floor without damaging or removing cabinets
I am moving into my new home next month and I do not...
Jessica