Linda Coburn_Snyder
We just bought this little cottage on the lake but want to add a porch an over hang.....something but we are struggling....any help with design, colors and landscaping would be great. The door is now shiny black and we have window boxes on the two front windows.
Patti Smith, PS Designs
Linda,
I think that in keeping with the "cottage" feel, the door should probably go back to white. Then, a pergola (painted the same white) over decking or stone patio would look great! Enjoy!
February 20, 2012 at 11:40am     
Hi Linda --- Too cute ---- I would have a fairly large deck built right across the lenght of the cabin with a pergola or a retractable awning. You could also add an extra stone patio area at the base of the deck. Lots of room for Bar-B -Q 's entertaining and seating. On the stone patio area- sink some pipes on the ground for portable umbrellas for extra shade. They look pretty too. Add some lanterns and torches for evening lighting . Then you can see if the door color needs to be changed . I think the shiny black is fine. Do you have a view of a lake or something ?
February 20, 2012 at 12:12pm   
Linda Coburn_Snyder
Thank you both for your replys.... :) We are right on the lake with 8o ft. of frontage. Although I really like the idea of the pergola, I would like something that we could sit out during rain storms. I love to watch rain as it falls on the lake....I love the idea of sinking pipes in for unbrellas. I would not have thought to do that. Our thoughts are to tear the steps out and bushes while adding a deck but because our roof is so low an extension is diffucult to figure. Thank you for your thoughts!!!!
February 20, 2012 at 12:39pm   
creeser
Really cute house. The only problem with adding a covered porch that attaches to the house might be the pitch of the roof. The house seems to have a shallow pitch. You could take the pergola idea (which is stunning) and do a roof on it almost like a picnic shelter, that doesn't attach to the house. Or, do the pergola at the house and maybe build a small screen house closer to the water.
February 20, 2012 at 12:51pm   
Hi Linda Coburn_Snyder, not sure what's your budget for improving the exterior, but adding a porch would definitely make use of the lake view you have. The peak of the porch would be higher than the rest of the house, but would give you stronger definition and curb appeal.
February 20, 2012 at 12:56pm   
Christine
I would not add a porch. I would add a Pergola and some bluestone pavers for the "decking" part. And landscape the heck outta her. She's a beaut.
February 20, 2012 at 2:35pm   
Hi Linda --- You can add a covered porch -- it does not need to be attached to the house -- it can be elevated above the front roof line and sloped at the same angle . Just build it about a foot or so higher than the cabin roof. We have a covered porch and we love to sit out when it's raining and sometimes the northern lights put on a show in the fall. This year we are going to get a small electric fireplace for the cooler evenings. Last year we added some drop down outdoor blinds for shade and privacy. We are still thinking of screening it in.
February 20, 2012 at 3:34pm   
bulldawgy
I am a little concerned looking at the picture that your roof pitch is too shallow to have been roofed in fiberglass shingles. What are the pitches of the two roofs?
February 20, 2012 at 4:07pm   
Linda Coburn_Snyder
Thank you all for your responses.....@ Bulldawgy-my husband doesn't know the pitch of the two roofs but said your right for concern, he's a home inspector and when we purchased that one of his concerns but not big enough because we are looking at options for either going up or out so that will be fixed :) I like everyones idea about the pergola however, not the look I was thinking....I really want to change the whole look of the lakeside of the cottage. Thanks again, loving your thoughts.....and really appreciate them all!!
February 20, 2012 at 5:39pm   
Adam
sounds strange when someone posts a question but is looking for a certain answer ???
February 20, 2012 at 6:34pm   
David Ludwig - Architect
Hi Linda, You can add a roofed front porch by creating a low-pitch roof extension that meets the existing roof half way up the slope. You may need to use a different roofing product if the pitch is less than 2.5 in 12. Metal? If this extension blocks your light, you could include skylights. A combination of the covered porch and pergola idea would be to cover the trellis of the pergola with polycarbonate panels to make it rain tight but keep the light-filled trellis feeling.
February 20, 2012 at 6:37pm   
Linda Coburn_Snyder
Thank you David-really like your idea! :)
February 20, 2012 at 6:53pm   
creeser
We bought a small house on a lake and played with options for several years on expanding and reconfiguring it to a better floor plan. Our place had so many small rooms added on here and there, that we decided to tear it down and rebuild. If you're thinking of expanding, weigh both options. Your husband, being a home inspector, can probably testify that once you start remodeling, you can find a lot of expensive fixes that you didn't plan on.
February 21, 2012 at 4:04am   
Ute Faber
If you have not done anything yet and do like the pergola theme, i do like the first post and the porch pergola idea with the compfy chairs .....http://www.outdoorlivingtoday.com/oltss/storefront/products.php?category=pergolas
November 23, 2012 at 1:01pm   
Need help with a small foyer--lots of doors
The entry to our condo is a long hall starting with...
Need Help with Backyard Design
My wife and I are trying to make our backyard functional...
Need help with living room space usage!
We've lived in this apartment for almost a year and...
Shower safety bar
I am installing a safety bar in my newly remodeled...
Color combinations
Can you put black granite that has a. Bronze and beige...