How to determine correct size of a chandelier for a bdroom

janb4145March 20, 2014
My bedroom is 450 sq feet and I want to determine the correct size (dimensions)
Lights Online
Here's our guide to finding the right size for fixtures. Ours works in feet, though, and not square feet for ambient chandelier use in bedrooms. http://bit.ly/1cuh1Fj Let us know if you need more help!
    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 8:45AM
GN Builders L.L.C
There is no fixture size guide for a square foot area because there could be a large fixtures which give you low lighting effect or a small fixtures which give you large amount of light and vise versa.... just pick something that give you sufficient amount of light you looking to get and to achieve the look you want as light design goes and you be all set.
If you post a picture of your bedroom someone could give you some ideas with fixture selection.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 9:03AM
Creative Lighting
The general rule of thumb is to take the room width and length and add them together to get your diameter. So, if your room is 12w x 12L, the diameter of the fixture should be about 24". This is a good starting point, but there are other factors involved such as, the visual weight of the fixture, the style of the fixture, and the primary function of the fixture.

A fixture that is light, airy, and open would lend itself to something larger than the rule of thumb total. Whereas a very heavy looking, dark, more solid fixture may need to go smaller in scale. The amount of "visual space" the fixture holds can make a big difference.

What style of fixture are you looking for? A flush mounted fixture will in most cases be a bit smaller in diameter than a chandelier. A semi-flush fixture will offer more light than a flush mount fixture...which leads to the next question.

Is the fixture serving as supplemental lighting or is it the main, or only, lighting source for the room? Depending on it's function you can either up or downsize. If this is the only light in the room and you would like a lot of light, be sure to find a fixture that maximizes light output, even if you have to push the size.
    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:12AM
How do you decide what width shutter is correct
I have a wide bow window and two smaller windows (not...
510lake
How do I determine the type of home design professional I need?
I know that I need assistance with planning/designing...
whiteknight108
buying new chandelier for dining room how do you know what size to buy
fairly large dining room 25x18. traditional colonial...
kathy tynan
How do you choose the correct shower bench for a 58 x 36 inches?
Our shower measures 58 x 36 inches framed without sheet...
saptac
coordinate lighting ideas
I need ideas for coordinating lighting in our great...
teresalm
Help with dining room
I finally found this black table two years ago but...
kellyeibner
Vanity Countertop Dilemma
I am remodeling a master bath. We chose large format...
lisastratton7
Need advice on mirror sizes. Please help me decide!
I have a 64" wide mule chest for a dresser in...
centaurita
how much space should be between island and sink
how much space should be between a island an sink
Sharon Chancey