Bedroom design dilemma
Alison Coates
Hi, I could really use some design suggestions for our bedroom. We renovated a couple of years ago, which increased the size of the bedroom, but I cannot figure out what to do with the space. Our bed is a king and a must stay. I also like the night stand but only have the one should there be two matching or is it alright to have two different ones, if so what do you suggest? The measurements are: L 18'11" W 13'2 and colours, Benjamin Moore, adirondack brown and Brookline beige.
Warner Decor
Hi! Have you considered a bench at the end of the bed? Here is an idea:
http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/world-market/coffee-velvet-taylor-bench-with-bolsters/
2 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 20, 2014 at 2:00PM
I would do something like this;) I would remove your other mirror over the dresser and put a piece of art.

10 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 20, 2014 at 2:02PM
Maybe you could slide your rug and chest to the foot of the bed and put a bench cushion on top the chest;)
7 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 20, 2014 at 2:05PM
Mohairs & More
The grey rug and beiges and browns aren't working together. Take a look at this image which uses gentle gold tones that look so striking with darker brown like your bed. Add a throw for some texture - not necessarily in red.
2 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 20, 2014 at 2:11PM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
I think what Aldine Avenue has suggested is perfect, however, you don't have that great expanse of window wall, but notice how the floor rug under the bed anchors that space, the tall mirrors next to the bed provide glamour and great balance. Little things you can do with your space would be to move your trunk to the end of the bed, replace your bedding with white to contrast the dark bed, use white on all the trim and a soft grey or sage for the walls. It doesn't have to be the same bedside table as the other, but get one the same height and invest in two beautiful table lamps. And, consider painting your dresser or atleast changing out the hardware. Notice how the bedding helps to reflect light.
5 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 2:11PM
Linda
From listening to the experts on houzz I'd say

1. Take pictures of the room either at dusk or dawn
(IMO your room looks dark and it might just be the camera)

2. Your walls look dark (and really nice) so I'd change the duvet set to a brighter colour and add a couple of cushions

3. I think the room looks great, it just needs some tweaks

4. I agree the rug should be placed under the legs of the bed
and put the unit/ottoman in front of the bed with maybe a light
coloured bowl or sculpture

IMO
2 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 2:13PM
Here's the size rug you need pulled up 1/3 of the way under the bed. I don't think the shaggier looking one is right for this very masculine bedroom. Second night table needs to match in height, but not in style. This chart is helpful for getting the look right with tables and lamps.

3 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 20, 2014 at 2:24PM
Alison Coates
Thank you all for your help. The rug and trunk don't have to stay and the old dresser will be gone soon. There were a couple of pictures, but wasn't happy with them so they now reside in the basement. The windows face North so I would also like to know if I can put the bed on the wall opposite the windows or leave where it is? I do like the idea of a bench at the end of the bed if it stays put. A big change would be to remove the flooring and put carpet instead?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 2:30PM
Alison Coates
Margo, that bedroom is gorgeous! Definitely gives me some ideas about what to do with the space. What do you think about the bed on the wall opposite the windows?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 2:37PM
Decor Interiors
I really like the look of the wood floors since you have so many other earth tones in that room. What about replacing the rug with something smaller that draws out the browns in the room, but adds a little flair? I also agree with decoenthusiaste that putting a moderate-sized rug partially under the bed is a nice touch, especially if it's a flatter weave. I love the idea of the trunk at the end of the bed since it's functional, but also looks good. Have you ever thought about putting some kind of an accent piece on the trunk? I think the bed is already in a good spot for that size of room.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 2:45PM
Alison Coates
Decor Interiors, thank you for your input. I will give these suggestions a shot. Now I can move forward with this room and try a few things. Very excited!
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 2:49PM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
Alison, consider looking on Joss & Main at this Adora Rug in the 8 x 10 size. It's less than $800. and will cover a substantial part of your wood floor.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 3:07PM
Sleep is more secure and restful if the foot of the bed is opposite the door.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 3:08PM
magpie4
I love the dresser you have under your mirror! It's beautiful!
Like the others, I'd suggest you put the chest at the foot of your bed, as it is it just awkwardly floats on the rug looking a bit out of place! :P Alternatively, would that fit down the side of your bed as a kind of bedside table?
I would leave the wood floor, it really ties in with the brown tones of the room.
For me, you really need to get some kind of artwork in the space above the bed, and next to it where there's that huge expanse of bare wall. If you want a less expensive option for artwork or just want to play around before really committing to something, there's loads of gorgeous posters available, I got a beautiful landscape one from HMV (yes, the music shop! :P) - they have a decent selection if you have one near you. If not, there's loads of options on the internet.
Also, maybe you could change up your pillowcases to give the bed a bit more colour? I personally hate throw cushions and things on my bed - I can't deal with having to move them! You can usually buy pillowcases separately, and just that little change might be enough to give it a new look.

Hope this is useful :)
2 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 3:14PM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
I was going to chime in on the Feng Shui of placing your bed on the dresser wall, but "decoenthursiaste" said it another way. I think you would be so pleased if you just painted all of the trim white, invested in two tall mirrors to go above bedside tables and beautiful lamps. You won't need to do too much more after that....oh, yeah, buy the right sized rug....
2 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 3:17PM
HomeStory Easy Door Installation
It is beautiful room and there is so much you could do with it! I would suggest a plant in the right corner next to the bed. I would also change out the curtains to something with a swooping type valance that covers the wall above the window and hides it behind the curtains. Sheers would also look very nice and some tiebacks for the sides. I would also hang a picture or piece of art above the headboard.

You could tuck your comforter over the pillows and add a few decorative pillows on top. I would also change out the rug to a different color and style as suggested. Good luck on this! You'll have to post photos when it is done!
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 3:22PM
Alison Coates
Magpie4, those are also great suggestions! Do you mean move the dresser down and use it as a night stand? Here are some quick changes. I know (now) the rug is the wrong colour and not placed properly under the bed, but what do you think? Also, here is the rest of the bedding, when I bought it I thought a pattern with some colour was best because of all the sold colours in the room. Does it work or...? I have another comforter, which you can see in the pic added, but thought it was too light for the room and bed?
3 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 3:37PM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
Alison, Look how those small changes made a big difference....picture another nightstand, same height as the one you have, and consider something like these two ceramic lamps I found on Joss and Main. They're in that new "freesia" color tone. That can be your pop of color and blends nicely with your lighter wood floors (gives them a reason for being).
2 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 6:29PM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
I would still break out the paint and neutralize your walls with a soft beige offset with
a clean white trim. That will make an even bigger difference. Have fun....
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 6:32PM
magpie4
I think the picture on the left looks good!
I meant to put the chest down next to the bed as a nightstand if you didn't like it at the foot of the bed, but I think it looks good where you've put it now.
Hmmm, I prefer the bed in the first picture, now you've added the extra little pillows it looks much better, I agree that the white in the second picture doesn't go as well. I'd say to leave it as it is in the first picture, with the striped bedding.
It looks much better now you've made those little changes! :)
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 12:23AM
mariaed
It's a great room. I'd leave bed where it is. I would not put that particular trunk at the foot of the bed. Your bed has a nice line and colour and this trunk hides both and the trunk colour looks flat next to the colour of the footboard. I agree with others that shag and grey for carpet not working. I think the bedcover is not ideal but I feel the new option that is plain is not really working either in my opinion---or a least all your pillows would need to change too. If you want to try solid, maybe something with a little more warmth to it? Do you have a sage, gold, taupe coloured throw or blanket you could just there just to see?
2 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 3:48AM
mariaed
and one more capert inspiration...
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 3:48AM
mariaed
oh I forgot to say I agree with others, two different side tables would be absolutely fine. Have you considered an upholstered chair where your trunk originally was?
A couple of other room inspirations...
5 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 3:57AM
Alison Coates
The trunk is not tall enough to use as a table, but I do like it at the end of the bed.

Would definitely like some art ideas!

The carpet ideas are beautiful! We are going out tomorrow to look at some as well as lamps and a fabric chair.

Thank you again for all the great suggestions and ideas. I was ecstatic to see what a difference it made in the room just by making a couple of small changes.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 9:40AM
KShoa
And a few ideas for the wall besides the bed.

Enjoy decorating!
4 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 21, 2014 at 10:46AM
Alison Coates
KShoa, nice ideas! I'm never sure of what colours can be mixed in with the colours of the room. Will be on the look out for these tomorrow!
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 12:10PM
KShoa
The beautiful charcoal/brown paint you have on your wall is a great jumping point for any color scheme - bright or muted colors. I would go more solid colors for the big pieces (like the lighter bedspread you have) and accessorize with art, lamps, vases, etc.

Email me on Houzz if you'd like to chat about the art in more detail. I don't get all the notifications on the discussions. Thanks!
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 12:37PM
Decor Interiors
What a difference just a few little changes makes! Well done! Keep us posted!
2 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 2:26PM
windingcreek_creations
Choose an accent color- blue or green? Add a plant, artwork, pillows, a rug, a throw, candles..whatever you can find and like in a complimentary color. You can find some great stuff at resale shops if you don't want to commit to a color scheme.
2 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 7:35AM
Alison Coates
We brought a bunch of things home today and are just pulling it together, so will post some pics in a bit. Still need a few more things such as something other than the chest at the end of the bed, would like to change out the curtains in time and still have to add a picture on the big empty wall. Stay tuned!
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 4:41PM
Pegster
Lots of great comments here. Please do not carpet the room! Your floor and a rug are a much better choice, both for the look and for keeping the room dust free. I finally live in a house with no carpet and love it.
1 Like   March 22, 2014 at 11:06PM
Alison Coates
Okay, here it is! Still needs some tweaking and a picture on the wall. The lamp on the left bedside table is beautiful, but is going to be returned tomorrow, it's not what I want there. Overall, we're pleased with the space. Thoughts?
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 8:19AM
I think it looks great!!;)
1 Like   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 23, 2014 at 8:23AM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
Did you try turning the rug so that it goes the other direction? You really glammed up the space with the mirrored bed side table. Would you consider doing a lamp that isn't silver but maybe just has some silver appointments like only the base or the finial? If you send me your email, I'll send you two suggestions that are very affordable. bonlike@swbell.net
2 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 23, 2014 at 9:48AM
The rug is missing the mark size and placement wise but things are looking up..
2 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 23, 2014 at 10:14AM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
decoenthusiaste....you're right again....this is a common mistake made. Larger is always better. In a perfect world, Alison needs a rug that goes atleast 2/3 up under the bed and comes out as far as the front of her new chaise.
1 Like   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 23, 2014 at 10:18AM
Alison Coates
I agree about the rug. Will return that tomorrow too. I had found one that was 11X9, but the pattern was geometric and would not have worked.
0 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 10:40AM
You have too much brow. With the dark accent wall. Put a sunburst mirror over bed. To help deflect the dark color. Add a solid cream comforter to end if bed. Fold 1/3 of the way up. Your rug should be a print and go 1/3 of the way under foot of bed. So make it big. Add a bench in cream to foot of bed.
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 11:43AM
Yes get another bed table add very tall lamps in a. Lucite with cream drum style shades. Add a bamboo shade under panels. In a for texture and make window look finished. Add a accent color like orange or turquoise, you need a bold color. Put it in pillows and pots for dresser. Try 3 in various heights.
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 11:46AM
Under window, move that chest to under TV. Add 2 armless chairs in a bold accent color. Move clothes tree to closet. No rug.
1 Like   March 23, 2014 at 11:48AM
You could put chest at end of bed add pillows to it in bold color. Pier One sell. Ck TJMax for chairs. And mirror for above bed.
0 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 11:50AM
You might also try mirror over dresser try over bed run horizontally. Add a bold contemporary pic over dresser in very bold accent colors. Big 36" or bigger hang 7" from top of dresser.
0 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 11:53AM
Sorry didn't read all post. So if I'm repeating myself sorry. Like what you have done. Keep going it will get there.
1 Like   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 23, 2014 at 11:57AM
You have two post going.
0 Likes   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 23, 2014 at 11:59AM
M Home Style
I feel like the orientation of the bed is wrong. It gives the room coffin like dimensions. The dark wall with a bold bright print on it and the bed facing the window will be much better feng shui.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 5:57AM
Alison Coates
M Home Style, we did consider having the bed opposite the windows, but when I looked up feng shui for the bedroom the current placement for the bed was the lesser violation of the rules. The dark colour on the wall behind the bed is Ben Moore adirondack brown and brings out the the darker grain in the wood on the bed.

This has been such an amazing and appreciated experience on Houzz with all the input and suggestions. I know over time we will get this bedroom to a point where we will happy and comfortable with the space.

TIP # 6. Follow the basic feng shui guidelines for your bed, which are:
-have your bed easily approachable from both sides,
-have two bedside tables (one on each side), and,
-avoid having the bed in a direct line with the door.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 10:44AM
Merci Antiques & Home Staging
If nothing else, design is about being calm and at peace with yourself and your surroundings. Now, that we all know the bed is placed correctly, we can move on from there. I reread your original post and the correct size for the rug would be 9 x 12, with the longer side starting under the bed and coming forward towards the chaise. Hope that helps.
1 Like   Thanked by Alison Coates    March 24, 2014 at 1:58PM
Alison Coates
Yes, it helps. Thanks!
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:00PM
maclmo
I would change the dark brown wall to a bright red to brighten up the room. Get a white duvet for the bed and put a red throw over it. Getting red curtains would tie the room together and nice lamps for each bedside table.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:10PM
Alison Coates
maclmo, I appreciate your input, but for myself I would never paint a bedroom red. We are happy and content with the colour scheme just needs a little more tweaking and we are done.
1 Like   March 24, 2014 at 2:30PM
claudiahelga
How about curtains with a little more pattern or print on them, but keeping in the color scheme or browns and neutrals?
1 Like   March 24, 2014 at 8:11PM
Alison Coates
Claudiahhelga, I agree about the curtains and they are the of things to be changed/added.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 7:21AM
leendaba
Hi There

You can put two types of bedside tables if you want. They look really great. Put matching long and high mirrors above each bedside table. Get really nice bedside lamps for them.

I would move the dresser to the other side of the room. Get two chairs with castors to create a sitting area but remember allowance for opening closet doors. So I would place them close to the bed anchored by the mat.

Since your walls are dark, introduce light colors similar to carpet on the bed.

Good luck
1 Like   March 25, 2014 at 3:05PM
Alison Coates
Leendaba, aside from the dresser, which will be change in time the furniture has been decided upon and placed. Please refer, to pictures midway up. We are still deciding on lamps, an area rug and curtains along with decorative finishes. Thanks for your input.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 4:31PM
Alison Coates
Update: here is where we are at so far.
Before and after. We still need to get bedside lamps and change the area rug, we're getting there.
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 1:16PM
HomeStory Easy Door Installation
Great job! It looks gorgeous! Thanks for sharing after photos.
1 Like   Thanked by Alison Coates    May 12, 2014 at 3:51PM
prosper
Really like what you've done now Alison. Great job w/the new additional pillows, Chaise and the new Night Stand and Lamp. Once the Rug is 'horizontally' placed at the foot of the bed, you're good, my Friend...even if you keep the grey-colored one, the size is "perfect"!
1 Like   Thanked by Alison Coates    May 15, 2014 at 12:26PM
Bedroom Floor - design dilemma
Hi Smart people I am attaching a pdf file of the design...
trendimom
Master bedroom & bath design dilemma
We are remodeling our master bedroom and bath. Should...
catneu
Master Bedroom and Ensuite Bathroom Design Dilemma!
The space I am going to convert is a second living...
aly1331
Master Bedroom Design and Niche Dilemma
NOTE: This attached pics are the previous homeowners...
saher107
Master bedroom Design Dilemma!
Help! I need to choose a carpet for my bedroom and...
karengaines
rredpenn
Bathroom lighting
I will have a 6' long counter with 2 sinks. There...
peggywells
What to do what to do
Ideas please!
Jason Diaz
What is the forecast for kitchen cabinets?
I am building a new home. I will be making choices...
mzurad