help! ADVICE NEEDED AND QUICKLY!! what size sofa for my room?
Karen Cotton
I am moving into a house in a couple of days and have had to buy a new sofa however I think I might have bought one that's too big. the room is a tiny 10 ft wide x 12 ft long (I hadn't realized how much trouble a small space can be!!). Basically I bought a sofa today which measure 236 cms to go along the back wall to go with an accent chair and footstool. I was originally going to get a corner sofa but that would mean partially blocking a window which I decided I wasn't happy to do and the smaller corners sofas just aren't comfy enough! The problem I have is that having done a plan on a floor planner app it seems the big sofa wont allow me any flexibility if I want to change the room around.as well as potentially not allowing me to open the sideboard door even. also the accent chair will have to sit where it is and never move. but if I get the small sofa, I'm worried it wont be enough for me and the 2 kids and when guests come around. Please can you tell me the "rule of thumb when it comes to this sort of thing and if I have bought the wrong sofa I can change my order, but Ive got to be quick! Am I panicking too much? or should I go with the smaller sofa? Heres some pics I have from the room plan (to scale) I have done. the first is of the small sofa option the second the bigger sofa option.. the small sofa measures 201 cms.
Karen Cotton
anyone? please?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 4:03PM
debsurreal
This reply is from my Mom-side. Your primary concern is your children THEREFORE you need a sofa big enough for snuggling with your children. ;)

Hopefully, you will hear some other suggestions. Until you do-
Would you be able to add some of the stacking stools & encourage the children to use those when you have guests?

Good luck!
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 20, 2014 at 4:28PM
Karen Cotton
awww - when I sat on the sofa in the shop that was the first thing I was thinking about - can we snuggle all together! the best mums think alike! the answer to that is yes we could all easily fit on the big sofa sideways, upside done and legs in the air - as they like to sit lol! Im thinking Im going to have to go back into the shop and sit on the smaller sofa for some perspective - I didn't do it today as I just didn't think about it! ; (
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 4:31PM
Karen Cotton
I was going to get them some beanchairs in their rooms which, now you say it - I could bring out when people come by!
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 4:33PM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
It doesn't seem to make a big difference in the way you've arranged the room. What if you put the sofa on the longest wall - in front of the window?
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 20, 2014 at 4:43PM
Karen Cotton
im worried its more that the room will never be able to be changed around and there can be no end tables. I did ask "amm I panicking too much?" I sound neurotic lol. If I did that then the tv would be facing the large window which would mean reflection on the screen and we would have trouble seeing the picture. Its really bad - I had a mirror opposite it and that completely blinded the screen before. Good thought though!
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 4:46PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I would try not to place the side of a couch up against a wall, it looks awkward and not functional.

There is never a good reason to panic.
2 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 20, 2014 at 4:50PM
Karen Cotton
so you are saying I should go for the smaller? true but when there's 1600 pounds involved its hard not to! lol
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 4:51PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
The chair is sticking through the wall. What is 1,600 pounds?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 5:06PM
Your sofa is roughly 7.5 feet long, so you'll have 1.25 feet on either side of it at the 10' end. Room for an arc lamp in one corner to arch and hover over a coffee table. Other pieces may need to be smaller, but you can use the larger sofa. You'll have space for end tables if you put the sofa in front of the window and the TV on the longer wall by the door. That might leave room for two smaller swivel chairs - depends whether TV connections are flexible or not. Here's a floor plan for this option with one table lamp and one floor lamp.
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 20, 2014 at 5:11PM
Karen Cotton
the 1600 is what the sofa costs! decoenthusiast - can I be really cheeky and ask if you can do me a floor plan for the first option you discussed. I think the reflection through the windows would very much obscure the screen on the tv the way above - if I'm wrong please tell me though.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 5:54PM
Karen Cotton
the chair that is sticking through the wall is not the shape of the chair im getting (I couldn't find one in the app I used) but the accent chair doesn't have sides to it so I put it that way to approximate a truer measure for that chair I should have said that before shouldn't I ; )
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 5:55PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
That is good news, I was afraid it was the combined weight of you and your two kids.
3 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 5:59PM
auntiebuzzybee
Oh Mark! I'm so glad you asked because I was wondering too!!!
2 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 6:29PM
auntiebuzzybee
Are you going to leave the window bare, Karen?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 6:31PM
I'll get to it in the morning, Karen. Going to bed now.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:59PM
Cyndy
Hi, Karen, I think most of the replies you're getting are from Americans, and we're woefully ignorant when it comes to the metric system!

Please don't panic! I actually had a living room that wasn't much bigger than yours, and it also had a corner fireplace and three hallways or doors off it, not including the front door.

It was definitely a decorating challenge, but I made it work - and look good - by using almost the exact layout that decoenthusiaste laid out for you above (although since I'm a reader, I attached a good reading lamp to the wall at one end of the sofa).

Don't worry about the light from the window creating a glare on the TV - after all, that's one reason we have window treatments! You just need to decide on which to use for privacy, glare, etc.

Some ideas for the window coverings that occur to me are sturdy, thick window shades or wide (not mini) blinds with drapes over them. During the day, you could close the shades or blinds to eliminate TV glare and then close the drapes at night for privacy.

BTW, congrats on your new home. I hope you and your children enjoy your new home!
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 9:10PM
Mark Bischak, Architect
And the difference between pounds and pounds.
2 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 9:18PM
laurakdesigns
This type of sofa would work for your space and is best for snuggling with kiddos!

0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 10:17PM
makaloco
Karen, are you sure the big sofa really gives you a meaningful advantage in cuddling space, given the other issues? 35 cm isn't that much difference. If you can, take your two little ones with you when you try out the smaller sofa in the store. Who knows, they may actually find it cozier!
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 11:09PM
Here's the revision with your original layout and an armless accent chair. I think using a pair of wall lamps will clear the floor space and look great. I've shown a simple wood bench for a coffee table to serve as extra seating too. The bench can be moved under the window and the chair brought over to the other side of the sofa for another look. Here are some living/family rooms with wall lamps - a good look that saves using tables or relegating floor space to floor lamps. Eclectic Farm House Transitional Living Room Living Room - After
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 6:06AM
Sorry, here's the revision.
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 21, 2014 at 6:08AM
Karen Cotton
That's great thank you! Is that with the big sofa? Or the smaller? Still not sure overall which to go with.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 6:35AM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Karen.....I think you may be happier with the smaller sofa. There is not that much difference in size and it will give you more room for end tables. Btw....what is the triangular object in the lower left?
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 21, 2014 at 6:55AM
Karen Cotton
Its a corner PC desk. Nowhere else in house for it to go
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 7:08AM
I used the bigger sofa in both illustrations. i agree you should take the kids with you for a try out. Even if you go with the small one, i don't think I'd add end tables - too much furniture for such a small space. The wall lamps take the pressure off you trying to find the right size and height tables and lamps for your sofa and space, plus they look good too. Notice how tiny that first pic's room is - the sofa is crammed right up against both side walls.
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 21, 2014 at 10:27AM
Karen Cotton
I agree. Just a sideboard and a DVD storage unit. Poss a small storage cube or lamp table in top right hand corner but nothing more and maybe not even that. I've gone with the smaller sofa. Didn't take the kids but went to new house and laid out newspaper. Hope I've done the right thing. Still worrying about it. Lol
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 12:58PM
Karen Cotton
This is the sofa I'm getting along with accent chair and the footstool in the pic
2 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:00PM
That'll be cute! Can't wait to see.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:13PM
auntiebuzzybee
Just been listening and checking back to see which way you went. I REALLY like that style and print. That pear green is so pretty. Deep breath. Decision made. Now? Enjoy.
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 21, 2014 at 5:30PM
Cyndy
Great decision, Karen! Make sure you post pics after sofa, chair, and Ottoman are delivered tomorrow! Can't wait to see!
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 21, 2014 at 7:52PM
Karen Cotton
Thank you. They are arriving in three weeks. I'll have a sofa on loan til then but I will post pics when they come xxx
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:41PM
ngocdung
The sofa two seat in your room.
Color style indoor 2014 is blue teal
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 22, 2014 at 12:10AM
ngocdung
sofa &
0 Likes   March 22, 2014 at 12:13AM
ngocdung
Consulf
0 Likes   Thanked by Karen Cotton    March 22, 2014 at 12:20AM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Hi Karen...........love the couch and chair - so pretty and fresh looking. Just one suggestion I wanted to make - I would consider removing the door to the room. It seems unnecessary and just takes valuable real estate. Good luck in your new home!
0 Likes   March 23, 2014 at 8:07AM
ngocdung
The size your sofa.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:00AM
What size sofa and chairs do I need for my family room?
My room is 18 x 16.5. The sofa will go along the 18'...
lsgilbert2
Help ... I need to make our dining room look beautiful, quickly
Hello, I am in desperate need of help with our dining...
cmpjd
Need sofa / room size advice
Trying to purchase my first grown up couch for my condo...
danakhaley
Need help deciding what sofas to buy for my living room
Hi, we just bought a home and are trying to choose...
Mar Tita
need advice for sofa and tables for my tv room
dimensions are 13 x 20 .. want to place a sofa set...
Mudassar Khan Tanoli
two bathroom mirror or one large one?
I have a second bath with two faucets on a single vanity....
lcdill
Help my Bathroom!!!
My log cabin guest bathroom is really boring. I want...
cabinretreater43
Help with French Door Refrigerator next to 33'' Wall
Hello, We are hoping someone can help us with this...
csaif7
Big blank brick wall.
What should I do with this big blank space?
newburblivin
New house
My house is almost done ! I am so excited ! Here are...
Flo Huebert