Dark boring Dining Room
gcookie1116
My dining room needs help, it's dark, boring, blah! There is not really any natural light in the room and the light above my dining table isn't very bright. Do I need a new light? Chandelier? Bright rug? Change to a lighter color table? What's missing and can give this room more life?
Engrav's Decorating
Ideas to lighten and brighten. Add a mirror, long and narrow
down the middle of your table. Add a centerpiece, candles or flowers on top of the mirror. You could add a mirror on the wall.
I would do one or the other. Purchase new fabric for your chair cushions in something vibrant and colorful. Use a neutral colored
area rug under your table.

Is there a dark ceiling fan in the corner of the picture?
March 20, 2014 at 6:32PM   
Angel18432
Yes, change the light fixture. Also, could your table go the other way round?
Need a rug under table/chairs. Remove hanging plants and mirrored wall.
Drapery would add softness to room.
March 20, 2014 at 6:37PM     
gcookie1116
a mirror? hmmm...there is currently an entire wall made out of mirror if you look at the 4th picture in the lineup you can see it. Did you mean i needed an additional mirror in the room to go with the existing mirrored wall?
March 20, 2014 at 6:38PM   
soto01
Add a nice area rug -- should be big enough so that all the chair legs fit on the rug when you pull them out. Also could use a lovely chandelier and I would think about changing two of the end chairs out for some "host" chairs. Horchow has some nice ones to glean ideas from. I think the hutch/china cabinet seems to overwhelm the space. If you can, I would either use only the bottom portion or change it out for a nice sideboard and large mirror above to help throw some light around the space. Can you remove the mirrored wall -- maybe do a nice light or even reflective - slightly metallic graphic wallpaper on that wall? The mirrored wall as it is now, also seems to make the space feel crowded and at night it reflects more darkness. I know it seems like a lot, but it could make the difference between a nice dining room and a "wow" factor dining room. Lastly, some nice drapes would be lovely.
March 20, 2014 at 6:39PM   
gcookie1116
there is a ceiling fan but it isnt dark, its off white
March 20, 2014 at 6:39PM   
Engrav's Decorating
The mirrored wall is too much mirror. A framed mirror
or a mirror on your table. Sorry for the confusion.
March 20, 2014 at 7:12PM   
Engrav's Decorating
A couple pictures and food for thought....
March 20, 2014 at 7:30PM   
bryght.com
If it were my dining room... I would add a light colored area rug and I would swap out the existing table for a glass top. Being able to see through the table will showcase the rug and it will warm up the space.

Here is the Scott glass top dining table from Bryght, I think it would look great with all of your other pieces
http://www.bryght.com/product/107/scott-glass-dining-table
March 20, 2014 at 10:30PM   
sheltertosanctuary
Could you move the display unit to the left of the window, between the window & the door? That way as you come into the room it is not right in view. Get a drum pendant in a light color to reduce the initial impact of the ornate top of the display unit as you enter the room.

Lower & brighten the flower arrangement, or any sort of table decor. Introduce a rug, maybe with some color.

To the right of the window maybe a print with a little color but something sophiticated that would bring in the mirrored wall, like a painting of a martini glass or something. Put a floor lamp in the corner next to it for even more light in the room. Any maybe a roman blind in the window.
March 20, 2014 at 11:49PM   
Bandon Blue Designs
Yes, you have very good ideas of what changes you would to with this space. Changing the light fixture probably to a three light pendant would give scale and proportion to the dining room. As well as adding a neutral rug would lighten up the space.
March 21, 2014 at 9:08AM   
gcookie1116
In need of ideas for drapes for windows in living &dining areas. Should length be from ceiling or right above window? Also should area rugs in dining & living area match?
March 23, 2014 at 2:12PM   
Help boring dark dining room/entryway
Just had the floors installed and looking for ways...
Need help with dark, boring living room
I have recently moved in to this cozy little home,...
Need help with a dark boring laundry room
I would like to spruce up my laundry room. There are...
boring living room and dining room with no anchor point
I have one large room that is suppose to be a living...
My boring dining room...
Hi, my name is Paula and I love Houzz. I look the pictures...
Living area
We just moved into a new home (19 years old), the living...
Bedroom lighting
Just bought a house that we are renovating, however...
What ONE thing do you hope your guests WILL notice?
We put a lot of effort into having things "just so"...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Curtains
Making bedroom curtains to be shirred on rod. Should...