Counter Stools
patn1234
I have looked at 1000 pictures of counter stools and I need four, but cannot decide except no fabric or ornate designs. I am a practical minimalist. The counter is cream and beige (Daria by Silestone), the walls are pecky cypress and gray, and the cabinets are grayish by Centra. Appliances are stainless and black. The house is near the ocean so think beach house. Should I match the weathered oak floors, the cabinets, or something else?
dclostboy
I like these from retroevolutiondesign on etsy.com. Minimal, yet stylish...and the multicolor wood adds dimension to your existing palette.
5 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:06PM
thiamom
I've been looking for counter stools too! It's mind boggling!
There are quite a few rattan ones that might work...but most use cushions
Do you want arms? Backs? Swivel? These are all things to consider...
2 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:07PM
Susan Hayward Interiors
How about something like this - light and beachy!

9 Likes   Thanked by patn1234    March 20, 2014 at 7:16PM
patn1234
The legs on the Etsy wood stools are way too complicated for me. I think less decorative, maybe swivel, maybe back, but no arms and not too modern. I liked the aluminum swivels from Crate and Barrel, but the comments scared me away.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 7:16PM
njschaefer78
Love these......probably not practical for kids (I keep envisioning yogurt dripping down into the woven seat!!)
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 7:28PM
patn1234
Doclostboy: I really like some of the stools on Etsy, you have spiked my interest there again. How about a simple piece of wood on four metal legs? Too industrial?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:41PM
giniaginia
Pretty Space. ..how about these
3 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:48PM
patn1234
I love the one from West Elm too, thanks! How about either of these? Which would be better?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:48PM
Eileen
hard to see the first pic, but i really like the second one!
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 7:54PM
armygirl1987
Do you have kids?
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 7:55PM
Eileen
make sure you get counter height stools and not bar height stools
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 8:01PM
dclostboy
Hate to keep harping on etsy, but blueridgemetalworks makes some great iron legs...glad to get you thinking.
0 Likes   March 20, 2014 at 8:06PM
dclostboy
What I liked about the first ones was the variation in color that blends everything you have in your room so well.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 8:07PM
patn1234
I'm liking this stool from Etsy (Urban Wood Goods), but is it too industrial for the space? They also have others with little backs. Yes, there are kids and cats, hence the 'no frills' rule.
You guys are so great, thanks for your help!
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 8:24PM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Are you going to be spending lots of time in these stools? If so, definitely choose one with a back. Your sitters' lower backs will appreciate it.

Are you sure you want four? It's very easy to overcrowd with stools and often times three are a better fit. What is the length of that island?

The interior is stunning and I just know it's going to be very smart when finished.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 8:42PM
suzanne_m
You have been given very nice suggestions. My only comment is that having them swivel is easier on the floor or make sure the legs have a good padding.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 10:25PM
Lynne Mysliwiec
Pat, I have the aluminum swivel stools from Crate and Barrel and absolutely love them - they're comfy, they seem quite durable, and the fact that the tops swivel makes them easy to get into and out of. I've lived with them for 4 months now and have gotten nothing but compliments from my friends and family members.
1 Like   Thanked by patn1234    March 20, 2014 at 10:33PM
sheltertosanctuary
I think the second stool you posted looks more practical & suits the space better.
1 Like   March 20, 2014 at 10:46PM
GN Builders L.L.C
I would check the overhang on that counter-top... It might be a good idea to add some support, because that overhang seems a little to big, especially for light colored stone. You have to keep in mind the cantilevered weight offset and industry standard unsupported overhang is maximum 12". Last thing you need that stone to break or tip-over.
3 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 3:04AM
dclostboy
I don't think they're too industrial. But what are your plans for the great room? Modern comfortable?
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 4:14AM
chookchook2
A local shop might let you take a couple of different ones home to try them out. Both it , and your biggest resident's legs, need to fit under the counter.
2 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 4:46AM
patn1234
Everyone is so good helping me out! I love the Ballard Design ones but not the wicker seat where food could get trapped. I read the Crate and Barrel ones are too lightweight and don't match the stainless appliances. Both the builder and kitchen designer say I do not need supports for the counter (hope they're right!). THe counter is 93 inches. For now I'm going with what was in the great room before: simply upholstered couches, wooden coffee table and a few occasional tables. People sitting at the counter will have their backs to a black/brown, burnt wood dining table. The lighting is polished nickel and Limage pendants from Justice. Any more ideas? We're on a roll here!
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 5:38AM
suzanne_m
I just watched a show this week about overhang being big. It seems that yours would be too big according to what I remember from the show. I think just to be safe, I would install support. You can check on internet, I am sure you could find some that are not too visible.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 7:27AM
Lynne Mysliwiec
I find that the stools go fine with the appliances -- because of my peninsula there is visual distance between the stools and the appliances (see picture). Lightweight is not the word I'd use - they're quite substantial. I know what you mean about the reviews, they almost put me off as well, but not everybody likes everything, I find that the aluminum tubing is strong and heavier than the reviews initially led me to believe, and I love that the seats are big enough to be comfy for even the broad of beam (so to speak). I have stainless appliances, so have attached a picture of the stools in situ so you can see for yourself.
1 Like   Thanked by patn1234    March 21, 2014 at 7:28AM
patn1234
They look great there and hide easily. My stools would be far from the appliances too. Hmmm
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 8:26AM
dclostboy
Your overhang seems like 12-18" which should be fine. 93" in length easily supports 4 stools.
1 Like   Thanked by patn1234    March 21, 2014 at 11:08AM
patn1234
What would I do without you, lost boy? Let me ask you a simple question: can I get a round wooden counter stoll that swivels or would that be too bland. Alternatives???
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:12AM
Adrianne
Looks nice! I like Susan Hayward Interiors stools.. They have a back, they have some cushion and it looks like they might swivel. Trying to scoot a bar stool is uncomfortable for me.. swivel is easier.. I also like stools with backs because I can sit in them longer. People will be more likely to hang out or do homework without having an achy back
The bad side is.. If you have untrained swivelers with a swivel chair that has a back, you are either going to damage the chair if it's wood, or chip your granite if it's metal.. You just have to train people in the house how to swivel.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:22AM
CDR Design
Have you considered swing-out bar stools. You'd have to check with your builder to see what reinforcement you would need.[houzz=
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:24AM
patn1234
No, I haven't because I didn't know they existed. But my family is way too traditional for these.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:28AM
I have Charleston Forge stools. They are not inexpensive, however, they will last your life time. Heavy and sturdy, the options are limitless. Here is one style you may like.
3 Likes   Thanked by patn1234    March 21, 2014 at 11:30AM
dclostboy
I like judyg's. But nothing wrong with round wooden counter stool. Point people sometimes forget is they have to serve a purpose...not just look pretty.
2 Likes   Thanked by patn1234    March 21, 2014 at 11:33AM
patn1234
Adrianne, the counter is Silestone, they cannot chip it! But still I'm thinking now no back, that's a good point. The hooligans will bump into the counter with it ... and damage the stool!
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:33AM
patn1234
JudyG, please send me a link so I can see them. Looks great!!!
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:35AM
Adrianne
Actually.. I sold Silestone and our show room had it.. with metal built in stools with backs.. and I showed people the chips. Silestone is quartzite crystals (ground up granite) with man made resin.. and it will actually get sun bleached too. It is however lots harder then granite.. but it will still chip with the right force.. especially metal hitting the same 3cm spot over and over.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 11:40AM
http://www.charlestonforge.com/

I have had mine for 15 years. First I had four, moved and needed two more. The footrest had changed a bit over the years, but the company made me two to match what I had. Easy to recover; I have several times when I redecorated. I have used Sunbrella, leather and my most favorite, so far, ulstrasuede.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 11:42AM
GraysonHarris Interiors + Design, LLC
We truly believe that to achieve the most harmonious interiors you should mix a little "old" with the "new". In the image below, the "Amy" stools should achieve just that with contemporary shape with traditional finishes and materials. The finish is a Cerused Oak, and the fabric can be any stain resistant fabric (like Sunbrella or similar).

With the ceruseing over a darker finish, the result will be a nice contrast to the lighter finishes you already have yet still gives a nod to them so the dark isn't so bold.

Let us know if you are interested in more information about these custom stools from Bjork Studio.

We hope this helps!
~GHI+D
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 11:43AM
patn1234
I cannot figure out how to find JudyG's specific item, shipping time or the price. Looks like it is fabric or leather seat though. :( Some kids are like 4-5 yo and they run with crayons!
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 11:56AM
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 12:05PM
patn1234
JudyG, thanks for the link but it is way over my budget! Colors would have been perfect though.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 12:14PM
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 12:40PM
CDR Design
Looks like the counter height is no longer available, but if you happen to like them, you could buy the bar height and have the legs shortened?

]
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:15PM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
You've got a max width of 23" per stool if you go with four. Most adults will need more elbow room than that will provide. If you choose to buy four, make sure one can be returned if you change your mind. It would be a shame to have an overcrowded counter disturb the beauty of the design into which you have so obviously put a great deal of time and effort.
2 Likes   Thanked by patn1234    March 21, 2014 at 1:15PM
dclostboy
24x4 is 92. 24" is sufficient width for dining.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:28PM
suzanne_m
Not only they need space for elbows, they also need space to get in and out the bar stools.
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:29PM
patn1234
Lost Boy, I do not like the watermelon stools (!) for the space and have decided no backs. I have sent questions on Etsy to both the Urban Wood and Dendro peeps. CDR, I looked hard at those stools, but decided against them. Thanks though!
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:30PM
I know they are expensive and even more now than when I bought them. If you decide to make the big investment you won’t be sorry. Watch and see if you can find this brand on ebay or craig’s list.
2 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 1:33PM
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
24 x 4 is 96.
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 6:18PM
Marc Russell Interiors
Look at Johnston Casuals. Instead of fabric, choose a vinyl. Good luck!
1 Like   March 21, 2014 at 6:30PM
patn1234
MRI, I really liked the square top brushed steel stool, but the website wants me to pick vinyl and glass top colors. What am I missing?
0 Likes   March 21, 2014 at 9:00PM
patn1234
Decided on custom stools by Dendro Co out of Chicago. Wood seats match floor and brushed steel legs and back. Thanks all!
3 Likes   March 26, 2014 at 10:23AM
Lynne Mysliwiec
They sound lovely - hope you guys get years of enjoyment from them! The brushed steel legs and back should be great with the stainless appliances and other silver metal in the kitchen.
1 Like   Thanked by patn1234    March 26, 2014 at 10:28AM
Kitchen Nook
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Our new Master bedroom...help!
So, we just moved into this space a couple of days...
combine
Narrow entry wall that opens to large space
Just got this piece. It is a vintage piece. Want to...
Vanessa Sierra-Torres
Window treatments for dormer windows
Any ideas for window treatments for the dormers? At...
lottie12
"Remodeling My Bedroom....Help!"
I am remodeling my bedroom and I have painted my walls...
fherag21