Exterior color for a house with a blue roof

imnatsimpleMarch 20, 2014
We just purchased a fixer upper with a HUGE blue roof. The house is an A-frame style house but with a gambrel roof line. As part of our purchase agreement the house must be painted by late April. I'd prefer to stay away from white but it seems to be the common color paired with blue roofing. What colors would you suggest to paint the house ends and the porches?
imnatsimple
Here is a better picture of the blue roof.
    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 9:22PM
That is a steel blue gray metal roof - wonderful! You have several choices besides white - I'll be right back with paint links / options. Right now it looks to be pale gray with white door, but they definitely got the shade wrong. You do need a tone lighter than the roof so it doesn't look like a ladies hat on opening day of the races . . be right back.
    Bookmark   Thanked by imnatsimple    March 20, 2014 at 9:32PM
I think something that would work well in the natural setting is to go to a canvas tone - i like this sw canvas tan - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7531-canvas-tan/
other paint makers like behr will match sw if you prefer their paint. Paint the doors and eave and fascia and all the trim around doors and windows that now are white or metal a deep blue for a combination of "lake house / naval / funky classic" house. Here is one that seems like it is close to the right shade for the roof sw denim http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6523-denim/ For the undersides of the decks, go with this light blue "ceiling" paint - sw hinting blue http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6519-hinting-blue/

Canvas tan will look better than gray or white with the blue, it will warm it up. Look into stainless steel cable rail systems to replace the old wood rails - you only need to put in new major posts and then the stainless cables run horizontally - they can be diy and they open the view / meet code / look modern / new / naval again. Try some silver industrial light fixtures outside - again, sort of dock- ish. Please bring back your after pictures to before and after - You can have them tint deck paint in the same canvas tan to keep things light and bright.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by imnatsimple    March 20, 2014 at 9:47PM
If you decide you do want a white, try sw downy http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7002-downy/
there are about 100 shades of white, this one has the right undertone w the blue . . .

Stay away from gray (only good ones with this blue are really silvery then you look like a spaceship has landed in the woods - fun to riff on but not the look you need). . if you try white, with dark denim trim, try an entry door in this soft yellow color - sw bees wax . . beautiful on a door - comes off as a soft yellow . .
    Bookmark   Thanked by imnatsimple    March 20, 2014 at 9:57PM
imnatsimple
I really like that yellow! It makes me (almost) want to consider white. I've had it in my head that the front door needs to be red but that yellow may sway me. I do like the tan you posted above. It's close to what I 've been considering. My only concern is picking the right shade that doesn't have red undertones. I wouldn't want to it to feel pinkish especially when the sun is setting. I'll put it on my list to check samples in person.
    Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 10:32PM
Alice Costa-Sievert
I like the "canvas tan" or a pale linen color
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 12:09AM
imnatsimple
What about a dark blue base with white trim and a red door? Kind of like this? I can't decide if it would mellow out the washed out look of the roof or make it worse. I played with photoshop a bit last night and it looked fairly decent for a patchy photoshop job.
Taylor Street Residence · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 1:19PM
The metal roof is great and I don’t mind the white choice at all. So, I would paint everything white that is paintable, just use a different finish on the trim…semi-gloss. It looks like your sliders are brown, so I would use that color on the side door.

23rd Road · More Info

Exterior Door with Large Window Sash · More Info
    Bookmark   Thanked by imnatsimple    March 21, 2014 at 1:26PM
yoboseiyo
i would do either a sunny yellow or a navy blue with white trim.
the house is adorable!
    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 1:38PM
Canvas tan is a green -brown / camoflauge tone - no red or pink. It has a green base. It is light enough to look like a natural white on the house. The problem I have with most whites on a house like this is that you are in the woods - even the 23rd road house isn't really white - it is a pale rattan / green / yellow off white shade. White whites don't look natural in a natural setting. If you want something woodsy off-white that would work well with the yellow door - test sw alpaca http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7022-alpaca/
Canvas tan is a great shade for a red door, but probably not as good as alpaca for the yellow door.

The bees wax is really a wonderful yellow in person - soft and buttery on a door and, imho, much nicer with your blue roof than red - the blue is a little light for a red door contrast I think. And I think all the brown frames need to be painted (aluminum is easy to paint once you mask off - you can even use rustoleum spray paint for that so you can get a navy) if you head that direction. John and Sherry Petersik over at younghouselove.com have a fabulous spray paint tutorial which involves misting on 7 or 8 coats so you don't try to get coverage until coat 6 or so . . .it really works with no drips, who knew?

This is a great place - please share more as you go.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 1:40PM
Dark blue base was one of the things I contemplated, since you basically have two sides light blue and it is the "ends" that become the painted elements .. .not sure you want to maintain white decks and railings - that isn't very practical out in the woods . . .so I switched it up but if you go kind of tan on those maybe it wouldn't be too tough. Dirt tends to wash over whatever when it rains since they are exposed. .. still think your blue is too "ethereal" for a red door - kind of a clash for me - pastel blue / metallic and red. . but if that is your hearts desire you can try it.
    Bookmark   Thanked by imnatsimple    March 21, 2014 at 3:46PM
imnatsimple
House painting day is on June 1st. We still haven't decided what color to paint the exterior. I tried a couple of the colors mentioned above (Canvas Tan, Downy, Naval, Alpaca) and they just didn't look right. I color matched the roof and it is closest to Georgian Revival Blue http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7609-georgian-revival-blue/ . I would love a few more suggestions before I head into the paint store to make the final decision. Thanks!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 12:40PM
Urbanata/Steve
I'd go for a Scandinavian look, light soft grey with yellow trim.
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 1:34PM
imnatsimple
Any specific color suggestions?
    Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 5:59PM
Fast help for the SAD CHOCOLATE HOUSE on the corner--Roof/Exterior color suggestions?
We bought our home last year and have been remodeling...
webbcr
New roof and exterior colors- looking for advice! Major fixer-upper!
We closed on our beach house, now the work begins. ...
crowinghen
Need help with exterior color scheme for house with green roof
My house is currently butter yellow with a green roof...
jturicik
Blue roof shingles - how to update the look of the house
I'm trying to update the look of the house with new...
Mazza's Flooring America
I'm almost scared to post this dilemma
There's a long backstory but it ends like this...the...
keirat
Flat or beveled subway tile?
We're having white shaker cabinets with a white galaxy...
dealcatcher
What to do with this fireplace?
This fireplace is in the living room of our new-to-us...
Susan Taylor Brown
House Colours! Help!
We have a stunning 1850s Greek a revival, here in New...
aazuline
Choosing Sectional Sofa for Your Home
Many homeowners prefer to choose sectional sofa for...
Locus Habitat