Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellora

Backsplash and paint color?

kellora
10 years ago
Just put in Schrock cabinets stained in Havannah and new granite called Normandy. Cabinets are brown and the granite has a lot of colors including different shades of brown, kind of a rust color and beiges. It's quite busy. Need ideas for the back splash and what color to paint the kitchen. The eating area of the kitchen opens into the family room so I need colors that will flow together.

Comments (13)

• Shauna Cowley Filtz
    10 years ago
    A light, white tone would suit in keeping the space light as the cabinetry is dark and the countertop presents as a medium tone. A large format square tile on a diagonal (like a diamond) or a thin tile on the vertical would be more interesting than plain ol' subway tile.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    What color is the kitchen now? I actually like it!
  • kellora thanked Shauna Cowley Filtz
  • kellora
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your suggestions. I was thinking maybe a light cream color would work but then started second guessing myself and thinking I should use something darker? The kitchen has changed a little since those pics because we are still working on it. Above cabinet lighting is in but need to put on the trim yet. Still need to install under cabinet lighting and install the toe kick. To me so far the kitchen seems very drab. Here are some updated photos. Do you still think a light cream color? Some of the pictures turned out kind of dark. We actually have a fair amount of light in this area.
  • Shauna Cowley Filtz
    10 years ago
    Keep it light but easy to clean.
  • PRO
    Kitchen Vitality Design LLC
    10 years ago
    If you are going to invest your money into a tile backsplash, make it the focal point. Since there already is so much brown and beige in the space, adding another neutral won't do anything for your kitchen. I suggest something fun. Perhaps a grayish/purple glass tile backsplash. The pictures below are from a project I did years ago (sorry they aren't great, the client's kitchen was still under construction and was untidy). The purple compliments the orange undertones in the brown wood. Hope that helps!
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    Keep the backsplash light and simple- you already have a lot going on with the granite.
  • pmjnh
    10 years ago
    Kellora, not backsplash related but when you installed your cabinetry did you intentionally raised the cabinets above your microwave? I am asking because we are thinking of doing this in order to give more clearance to the microwave above the range. Thanks
  • kellora
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Pmjnh: yes we intentionally raised the cabinet above the microwave. I think my husband thought it would look better if the center cabinet was above the rest of the cabinets. It's ok but a tad too high for me but there is no changing it now...lol
  • PRO
    The RTA Store
    10 years ago
    Hello...your new kitchen is beautiful. You should look at keeping it neutral. Perhaps a beige or brown. Maybe a really nice glass tile in those colors. We like the suggestion from Kitchen Vitality Designs. Those colors would look really nice in your kitchen. Best of luck with your decision.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    How about an area rug under you dining table with some accent colors that you could carry over into the cabinet area.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    9 years ago
    Maybe use some of the accent color in the curtains over the sink.