Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarmonster

What color curtains and other advice

sugarmonster
10 years ago
We built our home a year ago. We have also acquired furniture from my folks recently. The windows in question are part of a great room that consist of kitchen on one end, dining area in the middle, and family room on the other end. Their are two windows of equal size and one sliding glass door all along the same wall. Our kitchen has black cabinets with light granite. The floor is brown wood tile. The family room carpet is light. The walls are white. We have brown couches and oak dining set. I'm thinking green or blue for curtains. We live in southwest and lean towards that look although our kitchen is modern looking. How to blend the two?

Comments (11)

• sugarmonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. I have thought of forgoing curtains and adding molding around the windows instead.....but then I'd also need to paint to help the large wall out a bit.
    I do love the curtain examples. I love the colors in the first one and could work with it but hubby thinks it's too busy. With all the brown, (tile, couches, dining set) I need a bolder statement of complimentary color on the wall. It's the first thing you'd see walking in the front door.
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    I would put stationary panels in a pretty print on the two large windows. I think it adds interest and color.

Would you be open to painting the hutch and the coffee table black like your kitchen cabinets? I think it would tie the areas together and update the look of the furniture.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    To blend the two styles I agree with painting hutch and coffee table black, I would also paint the chairs as in this picture. http://houzz.com/photos/154854
    Add some southern flair to the kitchen with some counter accessories and bar stools that aren't modern, maybe with cowhide seats.
    Curtains with some turquoise in them would work well with both the brown and black.
  • sugarmonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Marlene I like your idea of painting the chairs black....and I am looking for turquoise curtains right now...not easy. We want the color with a slight pattern but not too busy. I'm worried about painting the hutch black....it's a big piece in the room and solid oak. As you can see in these pictures we also have a pine tv unit from tres amigos that is a lighter color. The coffee table won't stay and I plan on purchasing a tres amigos coffee table and side table for the room. Would pine work with a black hutch?
  • TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    Where is the turquoise in the room? What color(s) do you have in the room? I see colors in the hanging lamp and area rug, not sure what those colors are, though. Wall to wall appears beige, walls white, are counters gray?
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Sugarmonster, turquoise was only a suggestion, partly because you mentioned blue or green, and southwestern style. Any colour of green or blue could suit the room. If there are colours in the ceiling lamp shade, you could incorporate one of those to add colour. Another option would be to find some art or pottery you love and use that for some colour inspiration. Mexican pottery has some beautiful colours and would complement the pine furniture.
    Also now that I see the additional picture with your wall unit, I'm wondering if the hutch is crowding the space.
  • sugarmonster
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Tancalgal the walls are white but the lighting in the pictures make them appear beige. The granite counter tops have tan, gray, garnet specks, and black veins running thru it. I am open to painting...
    Marlene. My husband likes the idea of turquoise curtains so I am keeping my eye out but otherwise it may end up more of a blue curtain. The colors I will aim for are blue and yellows and smaller amounts of green etc. In our old house we had a lot of red because it seems to be a dominant SW color but we have tired of it. I have some SW landscape pictures that have the strong blues and greens of the sky and cacti in them to support the colors.
    The green carpet is old and going! The attached picture is not mine but will give an idea of the desert colors.
    I guess SW can be interpreted in many ways. There are Spanish colonial, Mexican, Indian, rustic, cowboy, and what I'd call natural. I'm leaning toward the natural in that we like the scenery and colors of the desert. I'm hoping it will be easier to blend the kitchen style with it.
  • TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like Ralph Lauren designs. I'd copy a room from one of his houses and buy pillows in the Southwest patterns (I think I see a throw you have already) + a new area rug in those patterns. It might be easier choosing curtains after a new area rug is purchased.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    I like how you want to " bring the outdoors in" by using the colours of your beautiful scenery. Etsy is a good place to look for curtains and toss pillows and covers.