Island woes
Lori Castello
We are redoing our basement after some flooding last spring (yes that part has been addressed already!) The good news is that we got to take out some walls that we never liked. We expected one post, but got two. The box in between is a mini fridge which we would like to build around and add an island. Cabinet doors are off to get stained. We are stuck with the ugly blue counter top for that bank but we are wide open to island top and construction. We are thinking some bar stools around a higher part opposite the counter side to create a great room type effect. This area will have full appliances but our "real" kitchen is on the main floor.
Ideas? Anything in the diy and cheap category will be helpful! We (okay just my husband so He) are handy, but not a master craftsman.
kmkane
Be careful building around the mini fridge. Not all of them can be contained within cabinets. Make sure the one you have can be. Unless you have the right kind of mini-fridge, yours could burn out because it might not be made for that kind of treatment
March 24, 2014 at 10:38pm        Thanked by Lori Castello
Lori Castello
Thanks for the heads up on that- we are definitely building the base with at least 4" all around to allow breathing room.
March 26, 2014 at 10:55am   
Christalyn
I would use back to back wall cabinets on both sides of the refrigerator. The back cabinets will have to be taller (bar height). You will have to build a toe plate for them. I would then add a decorative grate on the opposite side ( so the fridge can breathe) for the island. I would paint the cabinets a coordinating blue. Build boxes around the poles and incorporate the switches and receptacles. Add countertops and a couple of glass shelves between the poles.
March 26, 2014 at 11:56am        Thanked by Lori Castello
Lori Castello
I love the grate idea- totally hadn't thought of that one! Even leaving lots of space around, I was worried about it being enough breathing room. We do plan on making the island two heights, taller on the back side, and boxing in the posts. I like the idea of the glass shelves but we may want to leave it open for conversation's sake...not sure on that one yet. Thanks for commenting! :)
March 27, 2014 at 7:11pm   
Kitchen Remodel Plan- Fridge, Island and Range woes
I am in escrow on a house and the kitchen is making...
Long Island woes
We are in the process of designing our kitchen. We...
window treatment woes
The front wall in my living room has three windows...
Small bathroom woes
Small bathroom needs updating
L-shaped Living Room Woes
I have an L-shaped living room that I am having a ton...
POLL: Best Home Security System?
Everyone wants to make sure their home and family is...
Shall I buy a white leather sofa???
Hi there! Is it true they don't last long and they...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
need curb appeal help!
Need help changing the look.We have already done landscaping...
Bay window looking out onto sun room
Isn't it weird to have a bay window that looks out...