Lighter or darker tile ??
jpetoniak
What's everyone's opinion on these tiles for backsplash... Darker subway tiles or lighter bigger tiles. I think both look good in space but not sure which to choose. My space is very sunny so light is not and issue. It's colonial cream granite.
rinqreation
The brick shaped. Not because it's darker, but because I like the texture better.
March 24, 2014 at 7:53AM     
rinqreation
How much tiling area is there?
March 24, 2014 at 7:55AM   
linleep
I like the contrast of the darker.
March 24, 2014 at 7:58AM     
lovebugsmom
I like the shading and texture of the darker one.
March 24, 2014 at 8:02AM     
jpetoniak
Thanks for York help. I really needed some other opinions. There is about 25 sq feet to tile. The raised snack bar area and behind by cooktop and hood.
March 24, 2014 at 8:18AM   
Home Center Outlet
Like the shape of the darker and the color of the lighter! Good luck with your renovation!
March 24, 2014 at 8:19AM     
Patina Period Design
I suggest a light color with very little pattern. The one on the right looks as though you tried to match, but failed. The subway shape is better for the space you have, however.
March 24, 2014 at 8:20AM     
rinqreation
With the wooden cabinets and stainless appliances I personally would pick a very pale greige tile instead of something that looks like the countertop.
March 24, 2014 at 8:20AM     
Marge
I like the darker on the right. The light one on the left would have to be pieced when installed (at least per the top picture) and to me would look strange. The subway tile has a more even look and has nice texture to it, more pleasing to my eye. Try placing the tiles from the granite to the cabinets to see what it looks like. That would show you a larger area which may help you decide. If all else fails go with your gut.
March 24, 2014 at 8:27AM     
derkacs
As others have said, like the color of the square, but the shape of the subway. If you go with the square, you could install it in a brick pattern. If you go with the subway, you could eliminate the darkest tiles (bottom right) to lighten the overall pattern. What color and material is your floor?
March 24, 2014 at 8:41AM   
jpetoniak
My floor is wood. Essentially the same color as the cabinets. Did not think of trying a grey tile but that is an interesting thought. I did get a glass with slate tile (see photo) that I was considering. What does everyone think of it.
March 24, 2014 at 8:59AM   
derkacs
Think the glass and slate tile would work as an accent, but would be too busy for the whole area. Also think they are a trend that will date the kitchen more quickly than either of the other tiles. Personally, prefer beige/tan shades over grey. By the way, your cabinets and countertop look terrific together.
March 24, 2014 at 9:20AM     
janbwill
personally I think either color is fine, but do it in the subway for sure
March 24, 2014 at 9:24AM   
Jolene
Darker.
March 24, 2014 at 9:50AM     
Patina Period Design
Grey is not a good choice at all. Glass with slate is too busy and will date the kitchen. You want something that you will not regret in 5 years. Cream in a subway is going to look stellar.
March 24, 2014 at 9:50AM        Thanked by jpetoniak
howellmsue
Whatever you pick make sure it doesn't have any texture, as there is a lot of texture going on already in your countertops.
March 24, 2014 at 9:56AM     
adivra
I think I have that same granite. After bringing home many samples, we chose a glossy cream subway tile (as mentioned above) and it looks beautiful. More stone and lots of color/texture will compete with the counter and cabinets.
March 24, 2014 at 10:04AM        Thanked by jpetoniak
deborita81
I prefer the darker subway tile. As you can see though it's hard to get everyone to agree !
March 24, 2014 at 10:04AM      Thanked by jpetoniak
jpetoniak
Thank you everyone for your help. It is a tough decision to make. I was thinking of only putting the glass and slate behind the cooktop and hood and going with a solid tile on the outer counters and raised snack bar area. I've seen this look a lot in newer homes and I because my husband likes a bit of slate in that tile I was considering incorporating it into the design.
March 24, 2014 at 10:12AM   
jpetoniak
Adivra do u have a picture to share of your selection? Would truly appreciate it.
March 24, 2014 at 10:18AM   
rinqreation
Here's some examples of what the tiles could look like.
Quite traditional (and a bit too much for me).
Real Estate Photography Chenal
Oakley Home Builders
March 24, 2014 at 2:15PM      Thanked by jpetoniak
rinqreation
Looking at it and looking at several photos in searches I did, I think a simple smooth cream tile isn't a bad idea at all. I do like the look of matching stone backsplash, but not with natural wood (all the cream/white painted examples looked ok).

March 24, 2014 at 2:23PM   
jpetoniak
Rinqreation: would u say use a cream porcelain subway verses using the natural stone subway look. ?
March 24, 2014 at 2:38PM     
Patina Period Design
yes, that is what she and I are both suggesting.
March 24, 2014 at 2:58PM      Thanked by jpetoniak
derkacs
For comparison, here's an example of a multi-shade subway tile (2x4 instead of the typical 3x6) next to the solid subway tile (posted by rinqreation). The countertops in these photos have more of a pebble pattern than yours.
March 24, 2014 at 3:00PM     
All in a Day, LLC
I like the darker subway tiles - I think it needs more of a contrast to the counter.
March 24, 2014 at 3:03PM        Thanked by jpetoniak
Cinar Interiors, Inc.
Go bold, go darker! Tile that is close in color with your counters seem to wash away from a distance and look very blah. (as pictured above by derkacs) My opinion though :)
March 24, 2014 at 3:08PM     
rinqreation
Is there an edge available in the same granite? An exterior quality paint above a granite edge would be a good option to consider.
March 24, 2014 at 3:12PM      Thanked by jpetoniak
jpetoniak
derkacs: thank you for the comparison in the pictures….I like the stone look on the left and it has made me lean towards that look in a 2 x 4 subway. Thank you for your help…:-}
March 24, 2014 at 5:54PM     
derkacs
jpetoniak: Glad you found the side-by-side photos helpful. Here are some glazed porcelain or ceramic tiles that might work for you: American Olean Avante Bianco (3x6), Style Selections Floriana Heather (2x4), Marazzzi Terra Topaz Ice (2x4), Marazzi Montagna Cortina (2x4). Available at Lowes or Home Depot. These tiles have the subtle shading of stone to add interest, but are glazed for easy cleaning.
March 25, 2014 at 9:02AM     
mlou72
I think you need more contrast. It's too matchy matchy.
March 26, 2014 at 8:20AM   
Glass Tile Store
I think the lighter one looks great
March 26, 2014 at 11:24AM   
shelleyuk
Definitely the lighter option. IMO the darker option looks old fashioned (but I'm in the UK where tastes are often slightly different)
March 26, 2014 at 11:27AM   
Glass Tile Oasis
March 26, 2014 at 11:30AM      Thanked by jpetoniak
Out of the Box Room Design
The lighter tile seems to wash out the counter top, the darker tile brings it to life.
March 26, 2014 at 11:54AM   
patn1234
Jpet- Glass the color of sand or cream, otherwise too busy imho.
March 26, 2014 at 4:52PM   
rinqreation
Yes, a satin/matte sand/tan or cream.
March 27, 2014 at 1:43AM   
Kevin Strader
We used Colonial Gold granite on our remodel (similar to your Colonial Cream). We went with a mosaic with more colors. I like the one on the right better of the two.
March 27, 2014 at 1:09PM     
gracekellyjimenez
The lighter tile, but in the subway shape
March 27, 2014 at 7:38PM   
jpetoniak
Finally made a decision and tile is in. We love the look. Thanks Houzzers for your help and guidance. Check it out.
June 7, 2014 at 5:31PM     
Glass Tile Oasis
Wow, that's the perfect balance jpetoniak.
June 9, 2014 at 6:47AM     
Help picking shade of gray to incorporate retro green sofa.
I need help picking the right shade of gray to go with...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Help with exterior paint colors for Arts& Crafts/Tudor Revival
Currently the house is brown painted shingle with bright...
Need an exterior stain color for my shutters
The style of my house if French Country. The exterior...
Please help with master bedroom on a BUDGET!
I posted na week or so ago but think in my post was...