Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: Backyard add-on

Houzz Polls
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Which of these features would you add onto your backyard?

Vote for your choice below! To win a pair of Houzz slippers, post a comment telling us which you voted for and why (photos welcomed too) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 4/9/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.

Comments (184)

• wuff
    9 years ago
    Roof over patio, to make it more usable and keep,out door furniture out of harsh sun and rain
  • ellswom
    9 years ago
    I love my pergola covered outdoor kitchen and dining area. Still not satisfied with my lighting for the pergola.
  • deborahholmes
    9 years ago
    In would add a bench. We often entertain on our deck which overlooks the city and we are limited for seating room.
  • mvanhull
    9 years ago
    Stone path will be perfect between my river rock trimmed house and next door family which includes my 4 grandchildren!
  • PRO
    Debra Zuloaga @ Lowe's Home Improvement
    9 years ago
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/564287028282798471/
    I choose other. I would like a water fountain or water feature. The sound of water
    in the dessert is very relaxing and soothing
  • printesa
    9 years ago
    I like the vine covered wall. Vertical gardens are beautiful. We are planning to add a pergola for part of the patio and add to that a vertical garden. Paris has some beautiful buildings that are covered in plants.
  • Peter Ramos
    9 years ago
    The bench is unique, adds extra seating and is a fun conversation. Piece. Also you don't have to worry about wet cushions!
  • laurieminardi
    9 years ago
    I would like a pergola over our stone patio. We need shade in the summer and pergola would be perfect!
  • stidmama
    9 years ago
    New patio 8 x 30 feet -- needs furniture for outdoor dining... and maybe a little chiminea or firepit to ward off cool summer nights!
  • laureljune
    9 years ago
    A nice path around our house. Our current one is a little worse for wear.
  • serenity4ever
    9 years ago
    I'd add an outdoor tub for the simply reason .. That nobody else has one!! It would allow you to have a long soak in the tub with a bathing suit on or birthday suit on (depending on how much privacy you yard provides) all while enjoying warm summer days or nights
  • ogucci
    9 years ago
    I'd love to have a nice patio off our screen porch with a fire pit, dining table and some chairs. I'm sure my husband would love an outdoor kitchen!
  • kinjatots
    9 years ago
    A stone path will allow you to have space for outdoor activities for parties, events and meetings without eating into your backyard.
  • karelina
    9 years ago
    A stone path from front yard to back; a small patio surrounded by plantings; finish rain garden. Create a spot for a vegetable garden - probably by cutting down an enormous lilac. I hadn't thought of vines on the fencing, which I do like, but wouldn't it destroy the fence?
  • airhairtalk
    9 years ago
    Stone wall around patio, a bridge over brook, raised garden with obelisk.
  • PRO
    Century Billiards
    9 years ago
    OUtdoor Pool Table
  • mmkresch
    9 years ago
    I'd love to build an outdoor shower at the cabin. After a day in the lake, full of sand, this would solve many problems!
  • ebprice
    9 years ago
    Flagstone path with landscape lighting meandering from back of house/porches to outdoor grilling area and on to pier/lake edge.
  • Pam Bowen
    9 years ago
    I love the green vine wall with lights. So relaxing.
  • Erica Nava
    9 years ago
    I would have to go with the outdoor shower. This would be perfect for our beach house. We wouldn't have to worry about sand or wet clothes entering the house!
  • reneefancher
    9 years ago
    The Denieli Garden with the dining area reminds me of a secret place discovered in childhood, now grown-up style.
  • Jessica U
    9 years ago
    Add a vine wall! Our backyard is so open to the neighbourhood. I am trying to find a way to make the space much more private and peaceful.
  • PRO
    Harvest House Craftsmen
    9 years ago
    Stone pathways always draw you into the space, to find garden delight at the end!
  • dkelley2210
    9 years ago
    The relaxed outdoor bench seating. I would build a fire-pit with it as well. Nights by the fire year round makes for a great setting.
  • laneyglftn
    9 years ago
    I would add a koi pond. We built one in our previous home and not only did the koi become pets, swimming to the surface to greet us and allow us to feed them hand-to-mouth, but the pond itself provided a tranquil spot to dream and meditate. Some of my happiest moments were spent sitting with my feet dangling in the koi pond!
  • K C
    9 years ago
    Outdoor bathtube as my partners grandfather left us a classic bathtub he grew orchids in which would make a fabulous and very sentimental touch to our courtyard (along with beautiful flowering orchids).
  • lellogirl
    9 years ago
    Love the wall of vine. More privacy, extra shade -- very nice!
  • laceyjd
    9 years ago
    I would add a hot tub and have a waterfall stream down the side of the tub ending in a stream that runs the width of the yard. A lap pool would also work in my narrow backyard and would provide hours of relaxation and exercise. The pool wouldn't provide the same ambience, however, that a trickling waterfall and stream! It would be hard to decide between them.
  • madamebwolfe
    9 years ago
    I live in the arid, drought ridden high rockies and without a fence don't count on having a garden or much of any type of landscaping. At first it I put in an amazing designed fence mainly to keep my kitties from becoming brunch for the coyotes/lynx/mountain lions, but I quickly realized that I could now create a meadow of indigenous wildflowers and grasses. Then I realized that I needed a hammock chair from which to view and enjoy my garden. Next came the realization that I needed a decent walkway and the most cost effective way to do that was RR ties to define the walkway and crushed gravel to walk on.

The last project that arose was the need for the sound of water while I sat in the hammock chair and watched the array of birds and butterflies that now visit me So I found a little pond liner, a pump and fountain and had it installed.

Check it out... I'm so cool I could freeze mercury in a thermometer, eh?
  • brucbar3
    9 years ago
    stone path leading you to your garden year after year.
  • Sandie Benoist
    9 years ago
    I have a backyard that desperately needs a shade area so I can sit outside. I have a "patio" area that has grass growing thru the rock that is horrible and so hard to keep up with. The patio surrounds a tree that was cut down, but not low enough to ignore. I would love to remove it so I can have a fire pit area.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I would like to add a pool, lap pool... with a jacuzzi.
  • dixonw
    9 years ago
    love to have that wrapped around my back yard...my kids would love a pathway that always gives them reason to walk around the back yard.
  • Laurie
    9 years ago
    We bought a house a few months ago, a complete reno job including the yard. I want a stone walkway up to the front door not using the driveway as a sidewalk. Also a path on each side of the house leading to the back as we are on a corner lot with driveways on both sides.
  • Sherry Harrison
    9 years ago
    Love the secluded feel of a vine covered wall. Like having your own little world.
  • laceyjd
    9 years ago
    A fire pit would greatly add to the tone set by the running water of waterfall and stream, as well as any pool or hot tub in the yard. Not to mention, adding a walkway to follow along the stream would really top things off.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    9 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to Harvest House Craftsmen for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, you still have time left in our Modern House Numbers poll! Get your comments in!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-modern-house-numbers-dsvw-vd~937233
  • duffy2009
    9 years ago
    I would love a grapevine-covered pergola to admire from my screened-in porch. Not a fan of Mosquitos & flies that plague our short-lived Michigan summers. Dining al fresco means protection from heat & bugs. Plus you can eat "outside" on a screened-in porch even when it's raining. Best of both worlds.
  • duffy2009
    9 years ago
    The heron who regularly visits the large pond that is part of our Association also discovered the goldfish in the small pond in our courtyard & the koi in our neighbor's much grander one. It was kind of a shock seeing that wing span rising from our courtyard one day.
  • gramanise14
    9 years ago
    After 24 years of living and loving my old home, an old treasured maple tree must be taken down. I am so sad because it has been ailing for years since it was hit by lightening in 1998. So we will have to adapt all over the house and garden for the loss of my "old man maple". Any body good at making fairy house out of old tree stumps? I would love to honor the garden by putting in a little village.
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    OK, we put in our shower for the pool but, I can honestly say, I use it every day!!!
    (Don't tell my neighbors.)
    But, the showers inside the house look GREAT.
  • PRO
    Susie Deering Interiors at Apple Pie Antiques.
    9 years ago
    I wanted to add a light for ambiance, so did this for the summer! Love it!
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    We have a Pool and all cement except for about a 3' border around the fence. I LOVE it without a lawn.
    We have an outdoor BBQ and Burner fed off the houses natural gas so, I've never got gas for the BBQ!
    A table with a propane pit in the center. Looks great, Roasts marshmallows and keeps us warm.
    Outdoor lighting which I love. It looks much richer than we are at night!
    Oh, I also have an outdoor shower for the pool but, use it everyday!!!

So, what do you want pictures of?
  • chloebud
    9 years ago
    gramanise, I'm sorry about your maple tree! Wish I could be more help with the little village...what a sweet idea!
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    All right . . .
    (Pictures.)
    (Backyard)
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    More!!!
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    Front Yard (yes, I'm into lighting!!!)
  • Mark Beaty
    9 years ago
    Oh, and your looking straight on at it but, the American Flag is lit there!!!
  • smfmom
    9 years ago
    A large waterfall and in ground swimming pool combo with a slide! Sweet!!!
  • Sara Welsh
    9 years ago
    My husband and I are adding a patio out by our pool house. We have everything paved and next week we add the gazebo with a fire bit. We're really excited about about getting it all finished before fall starts.

http://www.aapave.com/commercial/