Need help for dinning room living room
Angie Blackburn
I am looking to change up the walls. I am a new home owner and would like a country rustic look not too dark. I'm not sure how to separate the living room and dining room! Ideas please. The colors will need to match with the furniture already in the house!
Angie - help me understand the two different entry type doors Im seeing . . is one the front door you use and one a side door? Did the house have an addition and they left the old front door with the triple windows there? Educate me!
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:20PM
The living and dining areas are already separated by a change in flooring. You don't really need anything more than that.

I'll be back with some suggestions in a bit, but in the meantime, a couple of questions. Do you have two exterior doors, and do you use them both?

Is there a chair rail in the dining room, or is the bottom half just painted differently from the top half?

My first suggestion is to find a way to get the coat clutter under control.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:22PM
Angie Blackburn
front door is in the living room by couch. the other is a side door only used when I am running in and out while grilling. no additions were added. I added a picture of the windows. instead of a big window the put multiple windows in. did I answer your questions?
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:26PM
tlparks
Also, one of my first suggestions is that your curtains will need to be hung higher.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:26PM
Angie Blackburn
i just moved in not long ago. the walk in is in the process of getting my brothers things out still as I bought the house from him... and the side door in the dining room is rarely used bit is not a necessity
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:35PM
For a rustic look - we need to get some contrast to your wood furniture and add in some denim blues from light to dark.

The first thing I would do is face the false beam with 2 x 12 that was treated before I put it up to look gray washed (use a warm gray paint like bm cape may cobblestone on the beam) treat all the wood trim and doors (not the entry door) the same way - you'll get an instant rustic feel but won't lose the grain - it will actually highlight it. Then, use a lighter tone on all the walls - let's not repeat the current wainscot - it breaks the room up but not in a good way - wait until you can do some t&g wood there that you wash with the same color - On the walls, all the walls, a lighter tone of the same -bm silver chain. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/silverchain http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/capemaycobblestone
To wash wood for the beam or wainscot with paint, mix it 1/3 paint and 2/3 water
Put this on all the wainscot and trim and which ever door is the secondary entry (eventually we will add something country charming there like a dutch door when your budget will allow).

To split up the space and make the entry work better, try the loveseat with its back to the dining area, with a craigslist sideboard or console table that you paint kind of a denim blue behind it - (http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mineralalloy) Paint the back of the front door this accent color too.

Let's make the entry closet look like a deliberate built in - paint the inside of the closet all the shelves and rods the deeper tone inside the closet - cape may cobblestone and put a painted shelf supported on L brackets across the bottom about 18" off the floor with baskets underneath. Put a cushion on the new seat / shelf. You could put painted beadboard between the lower seat and upper shelf. And you might use hooks instead of hangers if you have plenty of closet space in the house. Use the floor space for shoes and baskets for gloves and hats and everything.

Next to the entry door, put a mirror over another storage piece with doors to hide backpacks, purses, things that need to go out and come in. Put a set of hooks under the mirror for keys. Try a couple of denim floor pillows under the front window.

Now, use a print fabric with denim blue and your gray-green and brown to make some pillows for the sofa.
2 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:44PM
Angie Blackburn
the walls in the dining room are just different paint colors
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 2:46PM
Looks like you get a lot of light. If so, you can go darker on the walls without fear. But if you want to keep it light, try a grayish green. I would also cover the windows with wood or bamboo blinds for light control, and then add floor to ceiling curtains like these ivory burlap ones to soften the space. Try black and rust for accents.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 3:24PM
Bigger table lamp too.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 3:35PM
Angie Blackburn
Grjoveraxle, how were you able add things to my pictures? I would like to be able to try some ideas out and see how they are going to look before I make changes to the house.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 8:59PM
debbietarrant
I agree, raise the curtains. But, also hang them to the right and the left and not in the middle. You could extend the rails to make them longer and make the appearance of wider windows, revealing more of the windows will allow more light to flood in. We did it at my sister's house and it made a huge difference, making a 1mtr wide window look like 2mtrs!
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 11:26PM
Photoshop, Angie.
0 Likes   March 24, 2014 at 11:27PM
Angie - several of the paint company websites have a feature where you can upload your photos and work with their colors to see a mock up. Good Luck and share any changes you try.
0 Likes   March 25, 2014 at 3:09PM
You have a lot of brown. So more more of that. If you could add chairs in a color and print it would help. Remove those ugly window covers. Go a much lighter color and a print. Leave open. Under them add a bamboo shade to windows all windows in area. Remove that messy thing by front door. Find a basket you can keep in dining area for that. Center dining table and add a chandelier, in bronze Lowes carries. where fan is now. Hang so 36" from top of table. Then add pillows to sofas in a accent color. Pick one. Then use that color for accessories, for dining table and coffee table. Not sure what that piece of furn is by TV. But doesn't work. Remove and get a low dark wood media center for TV to sit on. Walmart, Target, Ikea all sell them not expensive. Over sofa hang a large art piece in colors you like. Hang 7" above top of sofa. Should cover most of wall. Again Ikea or TJMax all good source for pillows, curtains, art. Is there wood under that carpet? If So remove carpet. Keep same flooring all the way though house makes for better flow. Then declutter. Get rid of furn that doesn't fit in room.can you take hutch off china cabinet? If so do then add a mirror over it. To give you a more updated look.
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:29PM
Also add a much bigger base lamp in a color base TJMax, and a cream bigger shade. On the end table. Add a floor lamp the opposite side.
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:30PM
flair lighting
those spaces are defined for you by the change in flooring, so dont fret over it!
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:32PM
Add a door or a curtain to closet we see. You can get a tension rod at Target, Lowes Home Depot. And hang a curtain to hide that. You just have a lot of stuff. Need to get rid of stuff . The dining are could be nicer if you did. Remove everything by TV. Just not working. Looks junky. The coat rack to messy. Hang in closet.
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:34PM
flair lighting
float the love seat on the other side in front of the dining room, the couches look jammed together, if you have another chair put it under the window, otherwise a console table would look good there. go to a natural beige color, that is very open to the rustic pallet you like and will open up the space as well.
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:35PM
You don't need to separate the dining from living area. It's fine.
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:35PM
Painting will help this one. Like I said too much brown. You said you are getting your brothers stuff out. What is that?. It would be best if you got most of it out. Maybe get new media or armoire for the TV. Paint latte. Is. that paneling in dining rm? If so remove just paint.
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:39PM
Or add wainscoting if looking for a country look. Go up about 4ft. In white.
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:40PM
flair lighting
move the couch down a bit to make room for the love seat at the other end...
0 Likes   March 28, 2014 at 2:41PM
I need help to design this living room and dinning room please help
Need help to design my living room and dining room...
need help for my kitchen bathroom dinning room living room
how could i design my apartment to seem larger also...
Need help painting living room and dinning room
Hi every one. Am working on a remodling project for...
need help for my living room and dinning room(together)
It will be 8 meters long with 4 meters wide and it...
I need help decorating my living room and dinning room combination
I have an open area space kitchen with a large island...
Design ideas
Looking to make our backyard inviting/enjoyable. Would...
garage
Need to cleanup and remodel my garage
kitchen
red? or orange?
Storage for kitchen aid mixer
My mixer is getting too heavy for me to lift. I need...
One shelf or two?
I can't decide on one shelf or two also the correct...