Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_cotter

Please HELP matching patterns!!!!

TeeCee84
10 years ago
Last plea for help to match patterns in my master bedroom. I have a large area rug in a bold, floral pattern. I have a small diamond pattern in a vanity chair. Looking for color and pattern advice for window treatments for the large & side windows. Leaning towards something in black/gold. All suggestions welcome! I need to make a decision soon.

Comments (40)

• lessismoore
    10 years ago
    You might try something like this drape in the photo:
    [houzz=
    Lakeview Pied - a - Terre · More Info
    ]
    If you are looking at "ready mades" you could still have a black border added to a light patterned drape, something like these:
    http://www.countrycurtains.com/product/010150864+embroidered+diamond+rod+pocket+curtains.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search
    TeeCee84 thanked lessismoore
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the simplicity of these which might end my "pattern confusion" and also lending itself to the clean lines of my Asian furniture.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Hi Sherriff - I just saw your "poll" post - on the gold on black fabrics you had, I think the fourth, the floral, is the best pick, but I would use it sparingly ... It might work as a cornice over the side windows, even in combo with a gold/beige drape with a black border, but I would not use a cornice over the bed. It competes visually too much with the strong lines of your black head board. Maybe a custom bolster pillow from the 4th fabric for bed ?
    TeeCee84 thanked lessismoore
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What would you do with the main window then? We like the sheers because they give us privacy without blocking the light.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    I'm going to photoshop a suggestion, be back soon :-)
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would bring in another color other than black and gold. Look how well it does with the gold/taupe walls;)
    Indian Dupioni Silk Curtains · More Info
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great, looking forward to it :-)
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Plum?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Here is a rough visualization with a "gold" drape (and no reason why you can find a similar in a semi-opaque fabric, so you still get light) and a black border. I added the cornices to the side only. Above the bed, if you do decide to do borders/black/gold - I would work that arch by painting it black to echo the bed/borders. I extends the whole headboard and intergrates it.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Does the rug have a plum shade?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    I can see from your idea book that you had a love of the plum colors. When I tried a plum curtain in this mix, it was over powering. However, if you paint a dusky plum for walls, and accessories with some plum elements (pillow, throw, and a must have orchid!) it works better for me.
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey, this is really pretty! How'd you do that?? :-)
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    taller lamps or higher bedside tables
    TeeCee84 thanked stuntchick
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Hi Sheriff - A little photoshop is all. Needless to say, this is not an "exact" version of how things might look. In the visualization, I had to add a black border on drapes so I think it appears far more defined (harsh?) than it would in real life.
  • PRO
    TeeCee84 thanked Warner Decor
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I see in this picture that the main window doesn't have to necessarily match the side windows. So maybe a decorative pole in black over the bed with the sheers and side panels in a complimentary color and cornices on the side windows with matching side panels? This may solve my problem?!
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is the picture I am referring to.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Hi sheriff821 - I don't see why not. They are different window shapes after all, on different walls. From the pix, the one without the cornice is, of course, the one with the arch. The only thing I see as "different" is that all the draperies in the idea pix seem to be at the same heigth (roughly) while your area under the arch is a bit lower? Probably not much, but with black being such a strong color ... I do think if you painted the trim on the arch black, it would carry that space for balance, without or without a black rod.
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Lessismoore. I appreciate your input :-) I will tell you though that the windows in my room are all exactly the same height. It is just that the main double window has the arch. Just a thought...let's say I can't paint the trim black? Should I opt for something softer in color than black in the curtains, cornices or rod?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    With painting the trim black, it really keys into your bed frame and makes it, and the arch almost a visual "unit" - and it alone (together) should totally balance the strong black in the rug. I think (and this really depends on how far you want to go) you could easily just have a simpler window treatment (say a semi sheer "beige/gold" drapery) with a strong black rod and maybe use the fabric you liked for a custom pillow (or 2). Let me try and "visualize" that :-)
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    The scale is a bit off on the rods and curtain drape/pattern, (arch panels and rod are too large and sides too small) but hope this gives and idea of how this might look
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really like this idea. I'm going to key in on the gold drapery with a black rod. I'm still not sure I can paint the trim black...but everything else looks great!
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Great - I was on another post sometime ago and these were one of the readymade drapes considered. These might work for your room? Color looks right and they have a crisscross diamond embroidery pattern.
    Carneros Brut Hand Sewn Pintuck Faux Silk Curtain · More Info
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lessismore -- I really like these! I found them on Overstock. While there, I also found these. Someone mentioned needing a stripe. What do you think?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Honestly? Not sure.
    I was involved in a long discussion on drapes/rugs. The poster there looked at lots of rugs, lots of curtains and ended up ordering one panel of this style as a test (but in a different color; gold and sage) however, while most of us participating liked this style of striped curtain in theory, and on the internet, it just didn't work as well in real life! The quality on these curtains was good, nice color, good fabric and construction, but the drape/lighting/and color match is critical to how they look in a room. I think this would be more of a "large" stripe anyhow (if they get disarrayed, you might feel that you have landed in a circus tent) and think this color would be a bit duller than the gold tones in your room. If you really like them, order just one panel and make sure you can return it if you don't love it. If you "need" a vertical stripe, adding a border would do the job as well. :-)
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you again! I did order 10 samples of different colors/patterns/fabrics of curtain panels mostly in the gold color line but also the one narrower stripe on the left. I will wait until those come in to make any kind of conclusion. I will share when I do. But please know that you have helped me greatly :-)
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    That's great then! Looking forward to the shares when they arrive :-)
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Next question...I am pretty sure I am not going to replace the lamps on the night tables but any thoughts on black shades?
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    I tried it out, but while I like black shades ... not on this lamp and not in this room set up. When I suggested getting you a new lamp, it was partly because I felt like the lamps you have now are a bit too "delicate" for the boldness of the blacks here. Ironically enough, adding the black shade (for me) diminishes them as the white seems to have more volume (?) Just an opinion :-)
    In real life, it might look great, depending on what you do/or don't add.
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I MADE A WINDOW TREATMENT DECISION!!!!! I just ordered these beautiful silk dupioni panels in biscotti with is a medium gold color. They are not patterned but have a lovely texture running through them which makes them look very rich. I am convinced that these panels over the sheers (already in place) with a strong black or rubbed bronze decorative rod will give me the look I need to offset (or compliment) the dark, bold rug and black furniture. In addition, I am reserving judgment on the two side windows. Once I get the main window established, I plan to do the same panels on the side windows with either the same black decorative rods OR I may do the fabric colored cornice in the black/gold triangle print if the gold in the "dots" matches the gold in the curtain panels. We'll see. But I am so glad to finally have made a decision and then I can do the accessories accordingly.
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So thank you everyone for your input and especially LESSISMORE for hanging in there with me.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Sheriff! The color looks beautiful. Thanx so much. Make sure you post a new picture when you have them up. So excited for you! :-) Hope it is everything you are looking for.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Much wiser decision than the "eyebrow" cornices. Maybe the black diamond dot fabric would look good on the two benches, and they might look good laquered in black.
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, Deco, the benches are my next decision after the window treatments are in place. They are all fabric though.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I once had a Parson's style chair with fabric covered legs - always fun to re-do it. Maybe they'd look good with the black diamond fabric all over.
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My curtain panels are up. I really love them.
  • TeeCee84
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And I have made a decision on my benches as well. I have picked a tan/gold diamond pattern that has a hint of black in it with cream threads to pull this all together. I plan to bring out other colors in the room with accent pillows and framed art.
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Looking good!