Accessorize
Diane
I am moving into my house next week and bought a new living room set. I have attached stock photos of my sofa, 2 chairs and ottoman. The only piece that is true to color is the ottoman. My sofa is a soft grey and the chairs are a tiny pattern in grey, black and white. The chairs swivel and will be put on the long wall with a TV console (espresso) between them. I have been looking for pillows, picts, a rug, mirrors etc. to brightened up the room to add color. I still need to buy a side tables and lamps but I am not sure if one or two will fit. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Diane
Here is another picture of the room. The sofa and ottoman will be on the wall beside the window and the chairs will be on the wall with the door.
March 25, 2014 at 4:23PM   
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Will there also be a TV in this room? I'm getting a vibe that you're in a hurry. How about slowing down and getting a feel for the space once those substantial furniture pieces arrive? The room is going to fill up quickly, so you will want to consider how everything works together before continuing to add to the space.
March 25, 2014 at 4:29PM     
Diane
Mrs. Doubtfire, yes there will be a tv on the long wall with 2 chairs on either side. I am just looking for some suggestions in color, since I am excited and will buy things as I see them.
March 25, 2014 at 4:37PM   
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
I love gray--works well with white trim and makes colors pop. Choose something lighter than your largest gray upholstered piece.
March 25, 2014 at 7:35PM        Thanked by Diane
laurakdesigns
Are planning on painting? Revere Pewter by BM is a great shade and will tie it all together for you
March 25, 2014 at 7:45PM        Thanked by Diane
Brandi Nash Hicks
Oh yes abstract art again ...we are all just screaming for that wonderful abstract art...did I mention that abstract art,how about some more abstract art,everyone in the world is in need of that abstract art.
March 25, 2014 at 10:23PM        Thanked by Diane
mcbmd3
Get a bit of pattern in there somewhere. Nice place. Congratulations.
March 25, 2014 at 11:04PM      Thanked by Diane
Diane
Laurakdesigns, I do eventually plan on painting and I was thinking of Revere Pewter because it ties in with the grey and beige, I have beige in the marble of the fireplace.
March 26, 2014 at 2:34AM   
Diane
Since my sofa is so light, I was thinking of using pops of color in there like, black, yellow, reds or blue, I'm not sure which direction to go, I was looking for ideas on colors and design.
March 26, 2014 at 2:37AM   
Diane
Cassie Taplin, thank you for the suggestion, the art is a little too modern for my taste, but I appreciate your comment.
March 26, 2014 at 3:24AM   
dreamhomeinwkz
Diane - what color is your ottoman? You mentioned it's the only pop of color but i missed what color that is? You may want to consider wall mounting the TV to open the room and putting a lot of focus above the fireplace / tall decorative mirror that would be a grand focal point with tall candle sticks on one side & unique tall-thin vase on the other for some flowers (these items can have color - red / gold & black - can be in expensive and easy to change as you feel like mixing it up - go neutral or a silver or gold for the mirror and let the other items bring color. also - the chairs sound big - can the face the fireplace so you can put the ottoman under the mounted TV and add a larger glass coffee table? Sometime a large glass coffee table can be great for entertaining (drinks - food - decor) but light and airy still - then amazing textured rug w/color - pictures to follow that may help....
March 26, 2014 at 4:00AM      Thanked by Diane
dreamhomeinwkz
Here are a few pics that may help- if open to you kitchen you can accessorize there too with the same color to tie the spaces together - you may also want to paint the walls the same color in the room and go neutral but a grey if modern & cooler or a taupe/beige if warmer...then use accessories to pop red/black/gold/silver - or a dark blue-black could look good with grey (you can't go wrong if you focus on materials with texture and neutral and then pop color in pillows/throws, accessories & whatever your ottoman is...ENJOY / hope it's helpful
March 26, 2014 at 4:15AM   
dreamhomeinwkz
Diane - not sure of your overall style or the size of this picture but came across it on Houzz and thought it could be nice above your sofa but again / that's a big wall so maybe the arts too small..or you could accessorize around it with hang lights in the corder to eliminate the need for side table!) - also accentuates your high ceilings...tall plant could be nice or bamboo in thin vase for height but thin...
March 26, 2014 at 4:31AM      Thanked by Diane
Diane
dreamhomeinwkz, my ottoman is a grey leather (pict on my first post) I do like the picture with the grey and blue in it. the wall that the sofa will be on is a long wall, and your right, I will have to add other things on it besides a picture. I like the idea a tall mirror, are you talking about the ones that stand on the floor, if so, I'm not sure where I would put that.
March 26, 2014 at 5:20AM   
dreamhomeinwkz
I was suggesting a tall mirror above the fireplace (depending on what it reflects - or one that has a little antique glass could blurr the kitchen if that's what it would reflect but still make things look open and light)...enjoy! (no room for a tall mirror to stand on floor...)
March 26, 2014 at 6:31AM      Thanked by Diane
Warner Decor
Hi, Diane! Here are a few ideas for a rug to brighten up the space with the colors you suggested:
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/wayfair/dhurry-yellow-gray-rug/ (light but incorporates yellow)
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/5x8-bright-cotton-jute-and-felted-wool-dhurrie-rug/ (a little bolder, but still would go with your color scheme)
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/wayfair/jill-rosenwald-rugs-fallon-dove-gray-rug/

Hope this helps!
March 26, 2014 at 6:59AM        Thanked by Diane
Diane
Warner Decor, thank you, I was thinking of mixing yellow with grey.
March 26, 2014 at 7:31AM   
KShoa
And for the mantle...

Enjoy decorating!
March 26, 2014 at 11:16AM      Thanked by Diane
Need help accessorizing a clean but dated bathroom.
We just bought a house and won't have the budget to...
Help with accessorizing
Thanks for reading. My family room could use some help....
Need help accessorizing kitchen space with feminine and shabby chic flair
I am trying to accessorize my breakfast nook and kitchen...
Help with window treatments and accessorizing master bedroom
I'm looking for suggestions with drapes-especially...
Help accessorize!
Updated my kitchen about 4 years ago. I'm happy with...
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Tiling a ceiling shower
Im renovating a basement bathroom which the shower...
Which do you prefer gas or electric stoves?
We were just having a discussion the other day with...
How to get more white trim around our windows.
I'm looking to get more white trim around our windows....
Area Rug
I need some help with the color of an area rug. Would...