Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navyguy128

Please Help! Having trouble choosing lights blacksplash and counter..

Michael Dunn
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
My mostly DIY kitchen remodel is almost complete!! Cabinets should be finished this weekend for the most part.(waiting on one cabinet for the island to come in on April 4th) There will be crown molding to the ceiling once completed. I will be upgrading appliances to stainless steel down the line.
With that being said I am having a hard time choosing the right:
-Pendant Lights for the Island/ Chandelier for the dining room
-Back-splash and countertop (was thinking Quartz or Granite)
Any suggestions/comments would be GREATLY appreciated!! I am not looking for anything too extravagant or expensive as I live in a modest neighborhood.
Wall color: Sherman Williams pussywillow
Flooring: I installed red oak throughout the whole upstairs
Cabinets: Merillat Cabinets - Colony Birch Twilight
Thank you!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I vote for white quartz countertops and white tiles or glass tiles for the back splash. Don't use the quartz or granite for your back splash. It feels to heavy and is too much. Look for a nice tile or glass tile in shades of white.

I like your red oak floors with your dark cabinets.....nice combination.

Keep your pendants fairly small, maybe 7" wide x 10" tall. They would look good in a milky white material. You could also go with a slightly industrial look.

Your chandelier does not have to match the pendants....
    Michael Dunn thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Stick with quartz in a light tone - you need contrast. With the warm floors, which are more permanent than the walls, you need the right warm gray tone to the quartz tops and backsplash tile. something in the color family of amazing gray or everyday white - go get these swatches from sw before you go shopping for quartz and backsplash - you are going to have to ignore your paint color because it is just a tad cool for what needs to be permanent here when you select these elements.

If you are putting up open shelves over the dishwasher, off-white would be amazing there and a new coat on the trim at window and door to tie it all together? Pussywillow is a very cool tone against the red oak floors, and your trim white appears very cool also . . .but I think you want that to be changeable and use warm tones on the rest.

If it were my home, I would select a very light off-white warm gray / taupe undertoned quartz and pretty linen texture warm gray / taupe (one 1/2 shade darker) penny round tile backsplash to pick up on the warm tones in the flooring and climb all the way up the open wall. Then I'd add some painted open shelves if that is the dishwasher area to the right of the window (ikea makes some decent ones for less that you would slap a coat of paint on).

How to find this color - go get some swatches from sw - everyday white is the best choice to put one layer on over the trim to work best with the warm deep cabinets. Take that with you when you select countertops from the quartz options. For your own table - you might like to look for red oak butcherblock and order it table size, then put it on simple ikea metal frame legs.

Penny round fits the divided light doors and has a great texture Back with fixture ideas. ..
    Michael Dunn thanked libradesigneye
  • Michael Dunn
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for the responses!! Sorry, I should have mentioned it in the original post but the open space you see to the right of the window is where the stove will eventually go with a cabinet and microwave hung over the top(stove currently in dining room) I decided to stay with the original layout which has the dishwasher to the right of the fridge.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think quartz is more modern and easier to find in the right tone for your house. Straight white is going to fight with your floors, but a soft / light / warm gray tone will compliment them. Like his backsplash tile - that is the sort of tone I was envisioning. His kitchen is terrific but his house is more traditional and his floors match the counter top tones.