Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ian_joseph5650680

Help With Living Room Layout

Ian Joseph
9 years ago
Here is what my wife and I have agreed on for the design of our new living room: The floors will be refinished in a dark wood stain. The walls will be a griege color, but more grey than beige. And we would like seating for 8. We will have a 46" flat screen in the room.

And that is where we get lost in the options for sofas, chairs, tables, how to arrange them, what accent colors to use, etc.

I've attached a floor plan and pictures to help you help me.

Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• Ian Joseph
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It would even help us greatly if some could just recommend a well-made, comfortable sectional sofa or sofa chair combo. That would be a great place for us to start.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago
    Bench at closet door. Go to furniture store & try them out. Pick one that fells good.
  • Manon Floreat
    9 years ago
    Something the below might work for you. Two sofa opposite one another and a couple of swivel chairs between them. Similar to the below photo accept the TV would be on the wall opposite the fireplace. If the chair backs are low enough and the TV is high enough, TV viewing shouldn't be impeded. What were your ideas on the TV placement?

Contemporary Living Room · More Info
  • Ian Joseph
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, Manon! We were thinking of putting the tv above the fireplace. The wall opposite the fireplace seems too far away to me. Any manufacturer/model suggestions for the pieces you'd put in the room? Color that would go with our dark wood floors and griege walls?
  • colonialgp
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Is "Room 2" the front hall? Reason I ask is the long wall seems to be a traffic path. Are you using the second room past the arch as a dining room? Could it be a den instead for the tv? This is a possibility if you do not use your dining room often.
  • Manon Floreat
    9 years ago
    Good observation, colonialgp. I was wondering what that room was. If it's the entry, I probably wouldn't place the TV on that long wall for the reasons you mention. Plus, Ian thinks it's too far away.

The general consensus on a well made sofa is one that is typically 8-way hand tied spring suspension systems, a kiln dried hard wood frame, high density cushions and quality upholstery. There are other things that I'm not qualified to address, but I think these are the basics.

A few manufacturers that have good reputations for craftsmanship are Century, Lexington, Henredon, Hickory White and Broyhill. There are many others. But these can get you started.

As far as colors, you'll have to tell us what you like. You have a neutral base and most anything can work. Personally, I like neutral for the big ticket items like sofas and arm chairs. I find them to be very versatile in responding to accent changes. Also, give us an indication of your style preferences. Traditional, contemporary, eclectic, cottage, global, etc. Let us know and we can start making some informed suggestions for you.
  • Ian Joseph
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Manon,

We prefer the transitional style. As for colors, we don't like pastels, but we're pretty open to most colors. No purple. No pink. We like reds, blues, navy, orange, green. Not so crazy about yellow.

Ian
  • Manon Floreat
    9 years ago
    Hi, Ian. I put together a collage that might give you some ideas with the blues and greens you like. I included a console with a couple of ottomans beneath it. They may come in handy for casual seating if you entertain a large group. They could also go before the fireplace. Your room looks rather large, so you can probably fit an occasional chair in there somewhere, also.

I think the furnishing styles are a good balance between traditional and contemporary and should stand the test of time. The sofa is by Henredon and the chairs are by Ethan Allen. Ethan Allen has a good reputation, but I'm not sure how much of that has to do with branding or construction. Maybe a bit of both. Both companies have fabric options as will all quality furniture manufactures. So, if the upholstery colors in the collage don't work for you, you'll have options. The higher end furnishing stores usually have very knowledgeable designers on staff that can assist you in your selections.

As you're looking for seating, be sure to ask about construction. The better made the piece is the longer it will last and the more comfortable it will be. Best wishes to you as you settle into your new home.
Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living