Which style of library do you love most?
Luke Buckle
March 25, 2014 in Polls
I've been fantasising about building a book room to dwell in for hours on end. But now I find there are so many ways to build your palace of prose...
Backlit shelves
Outdoors and sunlit
Classic and cosy
Attic escape
Pull-out shelving
High and mighty
Walk-in pantry
Circular
Other style?
huzzah71
I am glad none of these libraries features that most banal of all decorating cliches: colour coordinated books. As long as what I'm reading is worth reading and I have a comfy place to sit, books can be piled on the floor. If I'm in a good book I am somewhere else, anyway.
March 25, 2014 at 10:21pm     
Patricia Colwell
I love the attic space, what a great use of an awkward space.
March 26, 2014 at 8:38am     
cucinaragazza
Bookshelves are very heavy - because books are very heavy. I'm not concerned so much with color-coordinated books, but I like to put books on a shelf so that they use up most of the shelf space and they are all the same height. Having heavy stuff in an attic is also probably not a good idea, You leave the attic the lightest in terms of weight it has to bear.
March 28, 2014 at 9:35pm     
Karin Madgwick
If you have an attic, there is nowhere better to escape and loose yourself in a wonderful book.
March 28, 2014 at 10:23pm     
houssaon
I like the classic and cozy. BUT I was looking at the picture and DO NOT like the way it was Photoshoped! I've been noticing that there are more and more photos that are so fake looking.

Good point about the weight of books. Some attics are not built to carry the weight of regular rooms, never mind books. A local woman left her house to the town here to be used as a library and it had to be re-enforced. Granted that's a lot of books, but it is worth noting the weight issue.
March 28, 2014 at 10:31pm        Thanked by Luke Buckle
anneowl
@houssaon, how do you mean the picture was photoshoped? Just curious, as I can't spot anything obvious.
March 29, 2014 at 1:00am     
My personal preference is a library that is more defined in a room.
March 29, 2014 at 5:38am     
chookchook2
Definitely.
March 30, 2014 at 4:55am