Sectional or sofa
leena1979
Hi!

We are trying to furnish our new house and have no living room furniture right now. We are trying to decide between a sectional and sofa. Our living room will get mixed use- we will be entertaining in that space and using it as our family space for my too kids. I am hoping the kids will spend most of their time in their play room though. The sectional we are considering is the cu 2 sectional by bassett- http://www.bassettfurniture.com/U-Shaped-Sectional-MDX2100-MDY2120-MDS-1-MDZ30908.asp

We do not have a sofa in mind but would like a quality sofa like Bernhardt etc.

Also, I would really like your opinion on weather a sectional is a good choice for our floor plan which is attached below. Would it look too big? I would like to keep the room somewhat semi formal instead of completely casual.

Thanks a lot
leena1979
Floor plan
March 26, 2014 at 9:09am   
leena1979
Any help will be appreciated.. We need to decide on the sofa quick.

Thanks
March 26, 2014 at 11:14am   
Rachel H
I too have a corner fireplace and then a tv against the wall to the right of it. For this layout, I love my sectional that faces both the fireplace and tv. I'd say it works for your floorplan but I didn't play with the measurements to see if the size is good. it would be ideal to fit a sofa table behind the sectional with lamps and decor - consider that option when measuring.
March 26, 2014 at 12:03pm     
Designs By Meryem
What's about 2 sofas and 2 accent chairs to make it a little bit more formal?
March 26, 2014 at 12:28pm     
Larry's Design Center
Sectional sofas give you the most seating. Excellent in family rooms. I would run it along your two solid walls, and complement it with two floating occasional chairs. It's okay to have one side of the sofa adjacent to the fireplace wall as long as the other side is opposite.
March 26, 2014 at 12:38pm     
I would just say no to the sectional in this room. A sofa and a couple of chairs will be a lot more versatile, especially if you will entertain in this room. Plus, I see problems already with placement of a u-shaped sectional, a corner fireplace, and a TV.
March 26, 2014 at 1:18pm     
leena1979
Thanks for your responses. Rachel is your sectional U-shaped or L-shaped? The sectional we chose ( on recommendation) from a Bassett designer) is U - shaped with a chaise on the right end. I feel like the shape would not let us have a chair.
March 26, 2014 at 6:50pm   
leena1979
Rachel, were you able to put an accent chair or two? Groveraxle, what kind of problems do u see with sectional and the fireplace? I too feel like its not going to work but cannot point to exactly why. It doesnt help that my husband loves that sectional.
March 26, 2014 at 6:53pm   
leena1979
Other than the shape of the sectional, my main concern is whether a sectional is too casual or can it be dressed up to look a little more formal. A professional opinion on our sectional would be very helpful.
March 26, 2014 at 6:56pm   
Rachel H
I think my space is much smaller. It's cozy. I attempted photos. If I had the budget for it, I'd put in built-ins to the right of the fireplace. For size reference, the rug is an 8x10. I didn't buy the sofa for this home, it came from my previous home.
March 26, 2014 at 8:06pm   
leena, a U-shaped sectional will give you exactly two furniture arrangements and zero chairs. You can put it an angle facing the fireplace, or straight on facing the TV (depending on where you put the TV, which I hope is on the wall to the right of the fireplace). Either way, it closes off the space completely.

If you have company, I don't think you will all be comfortable crammed together on the sectional. It becomes a bit too cozy then.

I've seen too many dilemmas here where people have these sectionals that look great, but just don't work. A sofa and two chairs are way more versatile.
March 26, 2014 at 9:21pm   
March 26, 2014 at 9:49pm   
Rachel H
I do want to point out that, as you can see from my own sectional pic, having the chaise end really cramps your coffee table options.
March 26, 2014 at 9:51pm   
leena1979
Both of you have some excellent points. I think I will try to get an L- shaped sectional instead of a U. Rachel, you got me on the coffee table. We really liked a coffee table but it is too big for our chosen sectional.
March 27, 2014 at 6:49am   
leena1979
I really like how your rug is centered on the fireplace and the sectional is centered on the tv. That is very clever.
March 27, 2014 at 6:50am   
leena1979
Groveraxle, thanks for your input. I think one sofa and two chairs will not give us enough seating. I am leaning towards a u- shaped sectional and one or two chairs. What do you think about that?
March 27, 2014 at 6:52am   
leena, I think you meant an L-shaped sectional? That would definitely be better than a U-shape. You may still find it limits your arrangement possibilities. Before you buy anything, get the dimensions and use blue painters' tape (or boxes and lawn chairs) to mark it out on the floor. That way you'll have a feel for how it fills the space.
March 27, 2014 at 7:23am   
Take a look at these bi-sectionals that can be reconfigured:
March 27, 2014 at 7:28am   
6x6 Bath
I'm planning a very small bath! It will not have a...
window trim - help!
Hi houzzers.... your help please! we have a window...
Should girls have less pink in their bedrooms/lives?
I am trying to decide whether to paint my young daughter's...
White wash or paint white ?
Hi Would like to paint this bed white but I am thinking...
Exterior house colours
Our home's locale experiences green summers and white...