Grandma's dishes don't match ANYTHING I own.
Erin JadinMarch 26, 2014
I think quite a few others have this problem. My paternal grandmother recently passed away, and left me her Haviland Blue Garland dishes. They are *so* her and I'm thrilled that she wanted me to have them, but they really don't go with anything in my MCM/sort of rustic dining room, and I don't really think they match my silverware or any of the serveware I have. I know it would make my dad happy to see me use it, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Thoughts?
Warner Decor
How about getting a table runner that would match them well? here are a few options:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/blue-floral-paisley-table-runner/
http://deciture.com/shop/rugs/world-market/whippoorwill-table-runner/ (a little brighter, but would bring out the blue)

Hope this helps!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 26, 2014 at 9:15AM
bluenan
I understand your dilemma and why they aren't what you would have chosen. If they're meaningful to your dad, can you invite him over for a nice dinner and set the table with the Haviland? He won't care that they aren't just right with your silver ware, but he will feel great about you using them. Then store them away until the next time Dad comes over to eat.
10 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 26, 2014 at 1:03PM
bubbasgma
Not suggesting this for your situation, Erin. But a neat idea for a broken heirloom!
A very nice gentleman we met at a recent artisan event. https://www.liamshardjewelry.com/
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 26, 2014 at 1:18PM
Sustainable Dwellings
I'm not going to rip into you for not feeling the sentiment..(. but you've reminded me of why we won't leave anything to anyone AFTER we are gone).... with that said, you can see if other members of the family appreciate and want it.... you have the right to have and use anything you feel like in your home, dear. If there is a sibling, niece, or nephew who loves it, giive it to them. Then, if you dine at their home, you will swell with pride because you payed it forward....
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 26, 2014 at 1:34PM
brittalovely
You could get a couple other china pieces for contrast and hang them on the wall in a plate collage!
    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 26, 2014 at 1:43PM
elklaker
Mix and match with some other, less formal pieces. Layer with white, blue or gray and some pretty but casual napkins. Use wood or wicker chargers. Lots of options to "modernize". Keep it. You will be happy that you did.
9 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 26, 2014 at 1:52PM
Erin Jadin
Wow, everyone's had such nice things to say, and great ideas! Will definitely consider working in some gray with the table setting, and maybe a runner too. Thanks you guys!
    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:43PM
Terracegallery
My Dad passed away a few years ago and when my Mom had to move into a much smaller place, she asked me if I wanted her wedding china (similar to yours only in pink flowers).......its a huge set for 10 people.....they are totally not my style at all. I am an ultra modern kinda gal. Anyway, I asked my 17 year old daughter if she wanted the set and she did! So I got lucky in that the sentimentality gets carried down, but I am not stuck with them for very long. We bring them out when Mom visits for Holidays like was suggested above.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 27, 2014 at 5:18AM
diyher
we are going through the same thing now. My Mother in-Law passed away end of January and we are already moving my Father in-Law into assisted living. They had really nice China, but it's not a 100% complete set, and we already have 2 stoneware sets we have been using. For my husband family, his sister doesn't seem to take it as something to pass down and would have to ship it across country anyway, so we are just going to donate it. We are going to be using a lot of other things he won't be using though.

I like the ideas others gave you in how to incorporate them into your decor :)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 27, 2014 at 5:35AM
Patricia Colwell
Why not mix them with some solid color dishes and see if that helps, you don't have to use them everyday but it might be fun to see how you can mix them up with something else for fun. Ilove changing up my table settings all the time and the more you do it the more ideas you get.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 27, 2014 at 5:54AM
lessismoore
@PatriciaColwell - that is a great idea.
If you take a few pieces and mix it in with more "modern" pieces ... say a solid blue plate, solid whites, grays, silver or pewter chargers ...
It's hard to tell how much they go/don't go with what you have, as your table looks to be a classic oak oval (though, you've mixed it with more modern-industrial chairs) and I spy a bit of blue and white in a far chair too? so mayhaps you are moving in a more eclectic vein, design wise?
The Havilland would be lovely for a "dress-up" tea party or shower. Especially with a blue and white toile tablecloth, lacy napkins, and all the fol-de-rol you can find or borrow.
I got "stuck" with my grandmother's Franciscan apple ware when she died. No one else wanted them and I took them more out of respect than desire. However, they grew on me and now I feature them proudly. Tastes change. That, plus death and taxes, are the only sure things :-) Hang on to them for a few years, you never know.
If it doesn't work out, you can always send them to a place like http://www.replacements.com/ where they help fill in classic china pieces like this and it will be a treasured purchase.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    March 27, 2014 at 10:43AM
Brandi Nash Hicks
I have the same set ,my grandmother got them for me when I got married 1990 ,I do not use them hardly ever .I will save them for my son and his wife someday.I think this set was a weekly item you could purchase from the groceries stores at that time adding a new piece every week ,In fact I am positive it was .My grandmother also purchased a set in green for my sister.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    April 4, 2014 at 8:59PM
Katrina Goldby
My Grandmother gave me the same set when I graduated from H.S. In '83. They were lost in a house fire a couple of years which made me very glad that I had displayed them in a china cabinet and enjoyed them for several years prior. I guess my point is, do something with them that makes you smile.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Erin Jadin    April 4, 2014 at 9:56PM
nwduck
I am always surprised at the things I thought I'd never use, I wound up using. (And that the next generation found incredibly cool.) So glad I kept them! These would be great on a casual white cloth, mixed in with more rustic gray/white pieces. The juxtaposition would be really striking, without being formal. Would love these with small glass vases of lavendar (with the gray leaves) marching down the table. Or even with pieces of grayed driftwood as a centerpiece. Let your inner artist roam free.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 10:45PM
rocketjcat
My Mom has this entire set, and yes I remember it coming piece by piece I think from Loblaws back in the 70s. It's not my taste either but luckily my girlfriend loves it so it will find a home with her. I think it goes fine with the silverware you posted. I would put it on some white woven placemats so your wood table still shows, and mix it with solid white place settings. Haviland dinner plate with white salad plate, white dinner plate with haviland salad plate etc. Maybe use a silver tray under a centerpiece to go with the silver border on the china.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 3:38AM
dclostboy
You seem to love blue in the rest of your furnishings...China just appears stark against your table. Have you considered a set of blue or blue-gray placemats or tablecloth? Just guessing you don't want to use on a daily basis.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 5:01AM
Joanne Wilbur
Use them for holidays and cherish your memories, it does not matter if nothing matches.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 26, 2014 at 3:47AM
Need Help, Don't know how to arrange furniture or decorate
My husband and I just moved into a much larger home,...
crose1313
Is the stripe rug a do or don't for the space?
Working on decorating my sitting room. Found the attached...
pharkins
How does this look? Do I need wall sconces or anything else?
Houzzers, room by room you are helping me make my house...
jdingles
I just bought a fixer upper and I don't know where to start!
I felt this home had character when bought it and now...
Bai B
Monster of a Fireplace...I've never seen anything like it!
Ugh. I don't know what to do with this fireplace that...
jcomama
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
What style kitchen knobs and pulls? Is a combination OK? Suggestions?
My home was built in 1902 and is decorated in victorian...
randijeffrey
Boring staircase area
Hello. I have a boring staircase/hallway area that...
Rheannon Rundstrom
Exterior help needed!
I'm in need of professional help in choosing exterior...
Anne Flowers
3d designer?
?Easy, cheap program to upload photos of my space.....
Shannon Oliver