Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckoeppel

Pendants for over kitchen island

Cindy Koeppel
10 years ago
Would you consider this pendant to be a transitional style and does it go with the decor of my kitchen in the photos? I have attached a photo of my kitchen decorated by the previous owners. I have also attached a photo of my current table so you can see what style I am working with.

Here is the description:

The artistry of Parisian Art Nouveau lighting is echoed in our Whitney pendant. Pair the silvered shade with one of our cord kits for a customized look in the kitchen, laundry room or utility room.

Overall: 10.5" diam x 5.5" h; 6' cord
Shade is crafted of pressed, fluted glass with an antique mercury finish.
Socket is crafted of iron in a choice of antique bronze finish with a dark brown cloth covered cord or polished nickel finish with a gray cloth covered cord.
Cord can be professionally shortened to the desired length up to 6’.
On/off switch on socket.
Recommended for use with our filament bulb (sold separately).
CFL bulb included for Title 20 compliant lamps.
Title 20 compliant lamps will be shipped to CA addresses. Learn more to understand product differences.
Hardwire; professional installation recommended.

Comments (60)

• Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! The backsplash is gorgeous but very hard to keep clean. The glass tiles aren't so bad but the muted glass tiles are like chalkboard. I do love it though! I appreciate your comments!
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    These two are from mothology.com...great price, but only 60 watt max. I have the quilted ones in my kitchen, but more for accent lighting than task or room lighting (recessed)
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I'd love to see a better picture of the backsplash. It looks quite interesting.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    dclostboy, those are beautiful! I found the light above at Lighttrends.com for $97 and I convinced the sales associate to give me a 15% off coupon code. I got free shipping, not tax and 3 pendants for $248.62. I am happy! :)
  • keenplanner
    10 years ago
    get something you can use dimmable LED bulbs with. Maybe look for fixture where bulb is less visible.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does this pendant match my kitchen style better?
  • patn1234
    10 years ago
    CK,
    I think you should consider what you want to accomplish. Spotlight? General Light? And also do you want to see the bulb or not because the one you picked lets you. And is color a concern? That said, I think the first one you picked is too traditional for your space, but I really like the last.
    Cindy Koeppel thanked patn1234
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    patn1234, the two pendants I am going to choose from are attached. Is the first one the one you think is too traditional for my space?
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I like the second better....but mine are only 49.99 a piece :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I think your room needs something that is somewhere between the two of those, style wise.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    How much space is there between your current pendants?
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will check when I get home. Thanks!
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    They are exactly 2 feet apart.
  • roosterdavis
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    120 to 277 is the voltage range. Watts will be indicated something that looks like a fraction or decimal. If it's a fraction, then the top number is how many amps it will draw at 120 volts, and the bottom at 277, It just means the driver or ballast can take an input voltage of up to 277 volts which is more common in commercial installs.
    Cindy Koeppel thanked roosterdavis
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    If it's between the two, I like the one on the left.
    Cindy Koeppel thanked Angel 18432
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Pardon the mess...
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    dclostboy, those look beautiful!
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    roosterdavis, my current pendnats are 40W, 130V and the lighting is just fine. The ones I am looking at photo up above to the left take a 40 W bulb and is 120-277 voltage. I should be okay with that don't you think?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I know that I would want more light than 40 watts ea.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolyn, yes I agree, but in addition to the 3 pendants we also have 10 recessed can lights in the kitchen. Our current ones seem to provide enough light just when sitting at the island counter. I will give this some thought though.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Keep in mind that if you have older friends or family members helping you in the kitchen, they will require more light than you might. Likewise, as you age, you too will need more light. Just bear these things in mind.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    If you have sufficient light over your work surfaces, these can serve as ambient lighting. All I use mine for is mood lighting.
    Cindy Koeppel thanked dclostboy
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So I cropped the two pendants of choice and placed them on top of the kitchen picture and added my table to see which pendant you think goes better with the style I am shooting for. My colors are champagne, gray, cream, and venetian blue. The backsplash looks like it has a green tint in the picture, but it is more of a light cocoa color.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I prefer the pendants in the second photo.
    Cindy Koeppel thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    maxim lighting and Elk lighting both carry one very similar to your photo....go to there web sites and check it out.
    Cindy Koeppel thanked flair lighting
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    however, im not sure they are very timeless, this trend will come and go. i would go with something less trendy.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I forgot to mention that I have 3 bar stools which replace the two in the picture. They match my chairs exactly only with a lower, square back.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I agree with flair that the fixtures you showed are not timeless.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    10 years ago
    i would go to silver cord not bronze, b/c of the vaulted ceiling the dark is just to much of a long rod look. silver will blend away and match appliances. i would get some art glass, to break up all the square-ness. try looking at LBL and TECH Lighting.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Flair! That is a good idea!
  • PRO
    Sara Bederman Design
    10 years ago
    This fixture has a vintage give and more traditional detailing. It does not read modern. It would pair well with your kitchen
    Cindy Koeppel thanked Sara Bederman Design
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sara, which pendant are you referring to? Out of the two pictures attached?
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What do you think about these pendants for my kitchen?

http://www.westelm.com/m/products/globe-pendant-a563/?pkey=clighting-on-sale
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Here are a couple of fixtures I like that seem to go with your breakfast table.
    Minka Lavery 1691-613 Polished Nickel Urban Nouveau 1 Light Mini · More Info

Kichler Lighting Brooklands Modern / Contemporary Mini Pendant Light X-HC42034 · More Info
  • PRO
    1STOPlighting
    10 years ago
    Here are a few options that may work for your kitchen ...

Kichler Lighting 42047OZCP Everly 1 Light Pendants in Olde Bronze · More Info

Sea Gull Lighting-6145-07-Single Light Mini-pendant · More Info

Kichler Lighting - 42044OZMER - Everly - One Light Pendant · More Info

Elk Lighting-66207-1-Restoration - One Light Pendant · More Info
    Cindy Koeppel thanked 1STOPlighting
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How do you think this pendant will work? The bulb is a 60 watt edison. Will that be enough light if I use 3 pendants?
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    you are getting too over sized for three over that island. go back to your original selection. it was the best so far!
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I think I have settled on this pendant. Do you think it is a transitional look?
  • PRO
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    How about this one?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I like it and it works with a transitional look.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    just an FYI, those type of bulbs give no task lighting. you will have to use a standard bulb. if you just need decor, then they will be fine.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The pendants will be hung directly over my island. We normally eat there because it is just the two of us. I have Edison bulbs in my dining room and they do give off quite a bit of light. I guess I will just have to try both and see which I like best.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    yes when they are clustered together...i think it will be fine, just wanted you to be sure. also, i really suggest you look at mercury glass in person, it is different when off and on...these pictures are probably photoshop.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    im just not sold on the black cord..either lol.
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I have several accent pieces of mercury glass in my house now and I like it. Do you like the cone shaped pendant over the candy dish one above?
  • Cindy Koeppel
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Of the two above, I prefer the cone shaped one. I find the lumens piece rather ordinary looking.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    that pendant is cheap looking in person... i carry murray feiss. This is the one you posted the link to yesterday
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    9 years ago
    uttermost makes some mercury glass, you might like as well as Elk Lighting.