Kitchen remodel help!
MeghanMarch 26, 2014
Before we start remodeling, my husband and I would like some feedback and suggestions.
Attached is a picture of our kitchen from the realtor website. (I'll post more angles tomorrow.)
Can anyone photoshop new cabinets into the room for us? We wish to get new cabinets and counter tops. We are thinking antiqued white cabinets and granite countertops. Pros or cons of granite vs quarts? Or other stones?
As far as layout goes, where the wall oven is now, we were thinking of putting in a normal oven/stovetop unit with the microwave over it. This would leave the island to being all extra counter space. This is an eat in kitchen so seating at the island is not needed.
We were thinking of dark barnwood style flooring. (We live in an old farmhouse built in 1900 and are fans of the rustic look.)
Thank you to anyone who responds :) it is appreciated!
Carol
Have you tried going to a local cabinet shop, Home Depot, lowes, or similar, with your dimensions? They can place cabinets in your space and show you different layouts and color options.
    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 6:33PM
Meghan
More pictures
    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 6:38PM
Meghan
@carol I'm going to lowes tomorrow! Hubby just gave the go ahead with new cabinets tonight :) I was just looking for suggestions from Houzzers on any ideas they may have.
    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 6:41PM
Meghan
Our eat in area
    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 6:45PM
sgree28
I like your color choices for the style of your home. I personally love quartz counters because they are fresh and clean and so easy to maintain. I suggest that you make sure to bring your upper cabinets to the ceiling to add height and a round table for your eat-in area. Also love your window over the sink and maybe think about using shelves instead of uppers on that wall to really let in more light. I understand that might not work for storage issues just an idea
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:07PM
Meghan
@sgree28 Thank You for the suggestions! Yes, I agree that the cabinets need to be raised. Our coffee maker barely fits under the cabinets now haha. I would love a round table... But unfortunately the door going to the mud room is right beside the table so round won't work, unless it is a bistro table. That is why there is a bench instead of chairs for the one side.
The area with the window frame has a chimney underneath it. I think it might be cool to expose some of the brick to add some character. We exposed some in the bathroom upstairs and it's really neat :)
Maybe in the nook with the secretary, we could add a pantry. I know once we have little ones, we will need more storage.
    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:29PM
Meghan
I've heard a lot of great things about quartz. I'm going to look into it!!
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 8:30PM
Meghan
Does anyone have any suggestions for kitchen must-haves??
    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:00AM
sgree28
I love an under-mount sink for cleaning and aesthetic purposes. I think one of the most overlooked aspect of kitchens is the lighting. Lighting inside glass cabinets and under uppers as well as pendant lighting all really make a kitchen sparkle as well as add important functional qualities
5 Likes    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:24AM
adivra
Agree with sgree28. Re your idea of range placement, be careful there's enough space that someone entering the room won't knock a pot, etc... Reconsider the over the range micro. Get a hood instead. Positioned at the correct height it'll give much more OTR space and do a better job of steam/grease elimination and cost substanially less. There are really good countertop micros out there for very little money compared to a decent over the range model. Most important, don't rush into remodeling. Really think things through.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:47AM
Meghan
Here is my *rough* estimated measurements. And here is a list of our wishes. Has anyone had a problem with their farmhouse sinks before? We aren't sure yet what type of sink we want.
We have lived in our house for a year now so we feel we have a good idea of what we are looking for in a kitchen and what would be practical. It's a small kitchen so when discussing the layout with lowes, we agreed a microwave over the stove would be the best option for us.
Have you ever used any money from your equity line? We're thinking of using ours for our kitchen remodel. I went to lowes today and will hopefully have a layout by Monday and will post the results I get.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 2:15PM
Meghan
This is the tentative style cabinets and granite. And then imagine dark wood floors :)
4 Likes    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 2:44PM
Meghan
Here is the drawing that Menards made for us :)
3 Likes    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 2:20PM
claudiahelga
I love your cabinet and quartz choices. The layout from menards is great. I would still add a range hood over the stove and possibly make space for the microwave as part of the island cabinet. This would save valuable counter space.
    Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 6:02AM
Meghan
What would be the benefit of having a hood over the range? And microwave installed in a cabinet in the island?
    Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 10:29AM
claudiahelga
The hood helps with ventilation and air circulation when you are cooking. It also helps keep odors from staying long after you are done cooking. Housing the microwave in a cabinet will allow you to keep more counter space. Just something to consider.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 8:38PM
LEICHT New York / LEICHT Westchester
If you're in the area, come join us for breakfast at our showroom and check out our free kitchen session every 2nd Saturday of the month: http://leichtnewyork.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration

Best of luck! Feel free to write or call us if you have any questions.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 8:34AM
Sound Painting Solutions
I think starting at Lowes or Home Depot would be a good start. They have software that can give you some ideas.

Good luck:)
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 9:59AM
The Rey3 Design Collaborative
Refacing the front and leaving the body of the cabinets will save you a lot of money but create a huge change in the look- Please take a look at before and after of this kitchen we did- new fronts and lighting, and a backsplash tile- that's it- the client is thrilled!
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:12AM
flair lighting
what is that bump out on picture wall
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:14AM
shelleyuk
I wondered that. If its a wall space I would push the island cabinets back against that since I think your space is too small for an island. It will always look cramped
1 Like    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:27AM
flair lighting
what is beyond fridge?
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 11:38AM
starbella
I like your cabinet choice.
    Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 12:19PM
Meghan
I didn't see all of these comments until now. The bump out would be the duct work and chimney. We want to expose some of the chimney like it is in the upstairs bathroom to give it some character. I am attaching a photo of our new inspiration kitchen. We would like to create the charm of our home. It in a classic american four square built in 1900.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:41PM
Meghan
In this photo you can see the brick color. Upstairs it's in great condition so were hoping for he same in the kitchen.
3 Likes    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:44PM
Meghan
The above collage picture has our inspiration on the left side and our items picked on the right. The light will go over the island and the countertop is Quartz. And we will also do white subway tile backsplash.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:47PM
Meghan
As for the microwave, hubby and I have agreed that with limited storage space, we will still go with a microwave over the range. They are made with a built in vent system so we aren't worried about not having the ventilation. I appreciate any thoughts or ideas :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:18PM
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
Microwave over the range is one of the worst ways to ventilate. It's much better ergonomics to have one of the drawer microwaves in the island and put a real hood over your range.
    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:43PM
nanlu
I gutted and remodeled my kitchen a year and a half ago. The vent in my microwave over the stove provides more than sufficient ventilation. It is ducted to the outside. I have a slide in stove (control knobs in the front) which gives a clean line to the backsplash and counter top. The counter tops are Cambria quartz which I love - look beautiful, easy maintenance (no sealing required) and zero scratches!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 9:12PM
Legends Distribution
I like your dream kitchen. It seems like the ceilings are taller then the 8 ft you have. Having stacked cabinets will add to the cost. If you stay in the house go fit it if you can. Small kitchens
Are one of my specialties. I love older homes. Be aware if you are not staying long,white cabinets may not be popular for resale. A mission or arts &craft oak or maple would be the best.
What is the outside style of the house.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 11:06PM
Legends Distribution
Check out the 1920's Lakewood, Ohio home that was completed last year on my profile. Simple is best. Wall cabinets can be mounted on the floor.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 11:13PM
Meghan
The microwave will be over the stove. My husband and I are both tall (6'4" and 5'10") so it makes more sense for us to have it over the range.

With choosing stained oak vs the painted maple, we save ourselves $1,200! If later down the road we want to, we can have the cabinets painted white. But for now, we will stick with the more natural look.

Just to give an idea of our style, attached is a picture of the dinning room beside the kitchen, behind the wall with the chimney. When we gut the living room we are taking out the carpet so ignore that :)
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 8:59AM
Meghan
Here are the measurements. I feel like the island will fit? We have one now and don't have an issue with walkway space.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:10AM
The Rey3 Design Collaborative
replace all fronts with lighter cleaner look...see before and after enclosed
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:43AM
Meghan
We originally were going to just look into replacing the front but the drawers are very rough. Just wood sliding on wood. And we want to remove the cabinets so we can add insulation in the walls. We are in Ohio and this winter was a COLD one and we realized how badly we need insulated walls! I'm guessing any that was done in 1900 isn't working haha
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 10:02AM
Premier Countertops & More
Hi Meghan, I redrew your layout and added the clearance dimensions so you could see how tight it would be. You really should have a minimum of 36" space in walkways and 42" is optimal at sink and range - although you can get away with 36" if you had to.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 10:43AM
Meghan
Thank you for the dimensions!
What if we put the refrigerator in the nook on the south wall and push the island back? How do you think that would work for flow? The opening to the east is the back door where we come in from the mudroom/ garage.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 11:58AM
Meghan
This is what I mean. What do you think flow wise?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:06PM
libri
We put new counter tops last year and went with Silestone quartz. Love the quartz. It still looks new as does the undercounter intergral sink installed at the same time!
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:47PM
Meghan
I've heard nothing but great things about Quartz! Very very very excited to demolish this kitchen!!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:52PM
Premier Countertops & More
You will still need 36" minimum all the way around. You could decrease the depth of the island cabinets to 12" with a 15" countertop and that would get you the clearance you should have. The island top could be 69"x15". Whatever you do decide...definitely go with Quartz! Best material for kitchens. Silestone, Ceasarstone, and Cambria (my favorite) are great!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:55PM
Meghan
If the island is only 15" wide, is it even worth it to have an island?? That seems so skinny. What do you think of moving the refrigerator and pushing the island back?
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:59PM
Premier Countertops & More
Unless you actually push the island all the way to the wall, you still have an issue with walkway clearance.
    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 1:18PM
debvdh
Just a note about the microwave above the stove, we have had that in the past, and unless it is vented to the outside, and most are not, there is absolutely no ventilation. We now use a range hood vented to the outside, all odors and/or steam gone immediately. We're planning a remodel soon, and are looking into microwaves that you place in lower cabinet of the island, when you push a button the drawer opens towards you and you place food into it from the top, really cool.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 2:27PM
nanlu
debvdh - Your ideas are good ones, but if space is an issue, a microwave vented to the outside and cabinets in the island, as I have, work very well.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 5:26PM
Meghan
It would be nice if we had the space for all of the new kitchen gadgets, but we don't. So we must work within our means.
What do you guys think about pushing the island against the wall and moving the refrigerator to the nook where the pantry would be?
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:21AM
Meghan
I really like having an island but moving it against the wall so the refrigerator can be moved, would let in a lot of light. There is another double window in the eat in area.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:25AM
christina8822
I agree with the commenter who suggested losing the island. It doesn't really fit and is more in the way than useful. Push it against the wall. You've got a great space and that would take best advantage of it.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:28AM
Meghan
I'll go tomorrow to get a 3D image of the new layout and see how it looks!
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:37AM
Denise Stewart
Hi
My husband and I are buying a house. The house is going to be completely remodelled. We can't decide between a white or a rich chocolate cabinet. Our style is transitional between modern and contemporary. And if we do use a dark wood what colour wood floors should we use throughout the house?
Thanks for your help
Sincerely Denise
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:44AM
Sophie Wheeler
Use that wall jog to build in the fridge on that bottom wall with cabinets and theMW located there for a good snack center out of your way when you prep. You could do part of that snack area as a roll out butcher block cart to give you additional prep space when needed but to roll out of the way when it's not. Put an actual hood above the range. And to the right of the sink, maybe think about doing a hutch type cabinet in an accent color to house your dishes attractively.
Haight Ashbury
1998 Showcase
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:47AM
Meghan
Denise,
You may want to start a new post with your info so you can get more opinions. I suggest finding a picture of a kitchen you really like to use as your inspiration and go from there.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 7:48AM
nanlu
To conserve space, we put our "island" against the wall. It serves as a counter height table, as well with four chairs, two on each side. The cabinet underneath has two doors that open to three sizable shelves for storage. We put an electrical outlet on the wall above the table, so it can be used to charge a laptop or phone, extra space for using kitchen appliances, if need be, etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 11:48AM
Meghan
We have a table in the kitchen so we won't need seating. There are two outlets by the table too so we have that aspect covered :) it does create a catch all because it's by the back door :/
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 12:01PM
Meghan
Any suggested changes to the layout is welcomed! We are gutting it so we can easily make changes. (easy to me... maybe not the hubby haha)

We basically just want to use our small space wisely.
    Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 12:20PM
Meghan
While I patiently wait for my oil to be changed on my car, I thought I would load another picture. And after this, it's off to meet with the designer to change my kitchen layout! Woohoo!!
    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 9:42AM
Meghan
I think I like the layout better!! What do you think?
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 12:48PM
Legends Distribution
Pull the Fridg End Panel & top Cabinet to 30"
After spending all that money on the new kitchen you don't want the fridg
to be sticking out. Just the door the box should be enclosed. This way you do not need to buy a expensive cabinet depth fridg.
Other then that looks good.
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 1:01PM
Premier Countertops & More
Why are the cabinets not going to the ceiling? Are you doing uplighting?
    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 2:03PM
christina8822
Much better Meghan. Just be sure they leave you room to fully open the refrigerator. That cabinet right next to it might interfere with the door.
    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 2:34PM
Meghan
My hubby wanted the uplighting above the cabinets. They are 36"H cabinets. There is enough space beside the refrigerator- it's hard to see in the picture, but we made sure of it :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 2:45PM
Meghan
And the cabinets above the refrigerator, they are level with the wall shelving. That is the method behind that one :)
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 2:46PM
Premier Countertops & More
I love uplighting and it will work much better with this layout. GREAT JOB!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 3:31PM
nanlu
I have a cabinet depth refrigerator because space wouldn't allow for 30 inch depth cabinets where the fridge is. It was worth it though because it has a built in look. The sides of most (all?) refrigerators aren't stainless steel, so it's not an attractive look if they show beyond the cabinet. Also, if your budget allows, a slide-in stove gives a cleaner look to the backsplash and counter top. (Sorry for repeating myself from an earlier post. I didn't think about a slide-in stove until my contractor suggested it and I'm glad he did!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 3:34PM
Meghan
The only reason I don't want the knobs for the oven to be in the front is so little hands can't reach them :) I have to think ahead when planning. If little things like that are out of reach, I will feel much better!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 4:46PM
nanlu
That is good thinking! My "kids" are in their 20's, so I don't have to worry about those details anymore. Good luck with your remodel. It's looking great so far!
1 Like    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:20PM
Meghan
Thank you!! We're starting the living room gutting first so I will be MIA for awhile :) I'll create another thread for that one haha
    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 6:25PM
Robbi
I remodeled my kitchen several years ago. Most of my decisions I am happy about today. Here's what I love and what I would do differently: Love my electric wall oven and gas stove top. I wanted an electric oven with convection and a gas stove top with extra low burners and am very happy I went with those choices - the best of both worlds. A warming drawer - love it, need it, don't know how I did without it. Cabinet depth fridge, love the flush look - but would prefer one of those new french door fridges rather than the side by side I chose because the space is too narrow. Adjustable lighting - I can set and choose five different lighting scenarios (e.g, one setting I use for cooking which has brighter task lighting). Each group of lights can also be adjusted independently - great. My cabinet guy said I didn't need pull outs for my pantry since it was fairly shallow - which was bad advice, I am always digging around to find things. Pull out trash and recycling containers means no ugly trash cans to look at and because I have a dog, I left a space with no door at the bottom of a floor to ceiling cabinet for one of those doggy water bottles - so no dish to trip over on the floor - the cabinet above holds the dog food and supplies.
2 Likes    Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 8:00PM
Meghan
@robbi thank you for your awesome ideas! We did plan on using a dinner switch for the can lights that we will put in. I thought when we have kids I bet I will be roaming the kitchen in the middle of the night and won't want a bright light. We do have a double trash can pull out in the layout. With the cubby the chimney created, it makes our refrigerator flush with the cabinets. Kind of lucky we won't have to spend the extra money on that one!
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 4:21AM
Meghan
I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but we do have the bad cabinets with the big drawers instead of the usual swing open cabinet doors. So much easier to use, in my opinion. The cabinets are also the quiet close kind. So we won't be waking anyone up from slamming doors :)
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 4:23AM
Meghan
Oh, and for our dogs, all of there stuff in the basement. With an additional water dish in the laundry room. What is the water feeder you speak of?
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 4:24AM
bunnyllg
One thing I did in my kitchen that was so worth it, was to have all cabinet ends finished like a cabinet door. Prevents the cheap plywood look and really finishes the kitchen. Cabinets with pull out drawers inside are a must for taller people as are higher counters.
Good luck. Looks beautiful!
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 2:46PM
Katie Gooding
Before putting in an order for the cabinets, go through your current kitchen and make sure you have a plan for how you are going to fill the new one and use it. In your latest layout I don't see a pantry cabinet, or a pantry at all. Where do you store all your dry goods? If there is room I would consider putting in a pantry cabinet near the fridge, (unless you have another pantry that I'm missing) as that would add a lot of storage for canned/boxed foods, and it looks like you have plenty of counter space near the sink and stove...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 3:01PM
Meghan
Ok so I went through the cabinets and labeled them on how I will use them! I have a few empties for now and am confident we will have plenty of space! If need be, we have a conjoined desk area that can have a pantry added too that is on the other side of the refrigerator (like an L shape layout.)
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:04PM
Meghan
Thank you for the suggestion katie!
    Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 5:14PM
Meghan
Well, we started our renovation! The living room, foyer, and bedroom are now complete so time for the kitchen! I couldn't be more excited!!
So far we have moved the island against the wall, moved the refrigerator to the nook, and purchased out new stove and microwave. Our old wall oven stopped working.
And the biggest improvement.... removing the drop ceiling!! Can you believe there was 13" of ceiling height just hiding under there?!
Our plans:
-continue the chair rail around the entire kitchen, not just in the eat in/ desk area.
-hang chandelier in middle of kitchen
-pendant light over sink
-paint cabinets white
-new sink/faucet
-new countertops
-new cabinet hardware
-new flooring
-drywall the ceilings
-tile backsplash
-eliminate the cubby from the wall oven and extend the countertop

Open to ideas or suggestions :)
    Bookmark   January 11, 2015 at 4:40PM
Meghan
Here is an updated photo! I know it looks scary right now, but it will be so pretty when it's done!!
    Bookmark   on Wednesday at 7:59AM
Premier Countertops & More
Meghan, I am so excited for you! Good job on taking before and during photos. Keep us posted on your progress as we would love to see the finished project!
    Bookmark   on Wednesday at 9:11AM
Kitchen remodel,help with cabinet color
going to remodel our kitchen similar to the first photo,...
nelsmama
Kitchen remodel help
What color cabinets and also what type of countertops?...
stacy4lsu
Kitchen remodel HELP!!!
I want to update my kitchen to possibly sell it. I...
Jennifer D.
And...our project has morphed into a complete kitchen remodel...help!
It started with the conversation "honey, we need to...
Stacey Bertrand
Kitchen remodel - help!
We had an appliance leak and now we need to re-do the...
jagroves9
Need designer input on stair runner carpet selection
Hello, everyone. We are replacing the carpet on our...
beardsarebeautiful
Need help on my small condo
Unfortunately the pieces you see have to stay...tried...
crystal
What to do with this brick..
I really hate painting brink, it just feels bad making...
UglyPinkHouse
Need help with my living room come dinning decor
I currently feel that my living room is boring and...
Liz Chakwe
Bedroom MAKEOVER
I can really use some help with this room, my plans...
samasky