Powder room lighting - size of fixture relative to vanity width?
Jan Sabran-Wolfert
Working with a 24" wide vanity, I am trying to select a light fixture that provides adequate lighting and looks proportional to the vanity and mirror. Is a 23" wide 3 light fixture too wide if the mirror is 22" wide (centered over the vanity)? I really like the look of the Progress Lighting P2743-09 Brushed Nickel North Park Three-Light Bathroom Fixture with Square Etched Glass Shades as it complements the Toto Connelly sink we are installing. Would a 2 light fixture be too small or inadequate for lighting? There is no window in this powder room so natural light is not a factor. Would it be better to use sconces? One sconce would be next to the mirror and the other would have to be on the side wall that is perpendicular to the wall with the mirror.
Lights Online
It might be better to use sconces in this case. The vanity fixture you've suggested is wider than the general rule for vanity lights over a mirror (75% of the mirror's size so it can be mounted right in the center of it all). That advice comes from our guide to light sizing: http://bit.ly/1cuh1Fj
We also have sizing suggestions for bathroom sconces, too, if you do choose to go that route. Let us know if you need more help!
March 27, 2014 at 8:24am        Thanked by Jan Sabran-Wolfert
Jan Sabran-Wolfert
Thank you for your response. Your guide to light sizing is excellent. I signed up for your newsletter too.
March 27, 2014 at 1:08pm     
Fred S
A two light fixture with that frosted glass will most likely not be enough light. Just two sconces won't be any better. An easy solution is to get an exhaust fan with an additional light in it. Then, when the light is needed, you have it. On occasion, we have added additional sconces in powder rooms, but it only looks good in certain configurations. The color of the floor, ceiling, walls, and fixtures also make a big difference as to how much light you need.
March 27, 2014 at 2:48pm      Thanked by Jan Sabran-Wolfert
Sandy G. ltd.
- Use the 3 light fixture. You will end up with 1/2" overage on both ends but that won't be weird. It might look odd to have a sconce perpendicular to the other one and make one wonder about that installation. People are not going to notice 1/2" extra on the ends over the mirror. I guararntee that you will forget about it within a week.
March 27, 2014 at 2:55pm      Thanked by Jan Sabran-Wolfert
Jan Sabran-Wolfert
Fred, I believe that an exhaust fan is being installed. I will confirm with the builder that it is one with a light. Thank you for the suggestion..
March 27, 2014 at 6:05pm   
Jan Sabran-Wolfert
Sandy - I like the idea of a three light fixture. I will keep looking for one that is between 20 and 22". I just can't believe how much time I have been spending on putting three bathrooms together. It is becoming a full time second job. :)
March 27, 2014 at 6:07pm   
Lights Online
Jan: Thank you for reading the guide and signing up for the newsletter! Always nice to read such nice things. Hope you find the best solution possible for your powder room!
March 28, 2014 at 6:13am   
Lighting in kitchen
What is your opinion of using a wall sconce as lighting...
Looking for Wallpaper
Does anyone know where this wallpaper is from or were...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
Dining Chair Question
Hi there! We have a chunky mango wood dining table...
What dining table goes with Eames Shell Chairs?
We have six gorgeous fiberglass charcoal Eames Shell...