When your partner chooses artwork you can't stand, do you...
Luke Buckle
March 27, 2014 in Polls
a) agree, 'as long as guests can't see it'
b) save it as an IOU for when you want something outrageous
c) smile and say 'I love how we're all different'.
d) do something else - post it in the comments!
rocketjcat
Hmm, we don't buy something the other can't stand. Who would do that?
March 27, 2014 at 5:05AM     
Veto power: One of the most important policies for a happy marriage.
March 27, 2014 at 5:15AM     
wuff
Veto.
March 27, 2014 at 5:18AM     
Scott Haig, CKD
yep, big diplomatic veto on that action.
March 27, 2014 at 9:05AM     
Lucky there is only one decorator in this marriage;)
March 27, 2014 at 9:11AM     
saratogaswizzlestick
Veto us the only way to go here.
March 27, 2014 at 9:14AM     
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Partner and I are combining households this summer. He hates one of my favorite pieces, which I bought at an art fair in Chicago many years ago. The solution? We are looking for a 4-bedroom house: master for us, guest room for, well...guests, and one office space each. Guess what? That artwork is going into my office. His office gets to house the stuff I'd rather not see in the living room. Problem solved! (Yes, these days we agree before we buy, but having both had 'lives' before we met, there are bound to be those unique items that don't suit both of our tastes equally.)
March 27, 2014 at 9:18AM     
hanna1984
He can have it if he wants to. But, he has to take it to the office and hang it there. :)
March 27, 2014 at 11:11AM     
Jessica
LOL! Not a concern since my ex left me for that student nurse. I can decorate any way I want to now!
March 27, 2014 at 11:15AM     
Curt D'Onofrio
What's wrong with mitchy matchy (compromsing) ? Reduced sized prints can mean a gallery wall idea.
March 27, 2014 at 11:27AM     
edithsmom
We usually agree...We have passed up a few, but usually because we wanted to be sure, not because the other wasn't keen on it.
March 27, 2014 at 2:05PM     
houssaon
Happily, I was the one who picked out the house stuff since my partner was not that interested. At least, he never said he didn't like what did. Bit I had a friend whose husband second guessed everything she did decorating-wise. I thought it must have been so frustrating for her.
March 27, 2014 at 2:08PM     
keenplanner
Either sign an agreement before you move in together, or let the more art-worthy member choose the art and learn to like it. I'm fairly art-centric. I collect modern art that friends often don't understand, but when I explain what I like about it, they usually like it better too.
I can't really imagine partnering up with a fan of Leroy Neiman or Thomas Kinkade.
I kinda like the Audrey, but since art is also contextual, there should be some other pieces that relate somehow to Audrey. Art should "tell a story," sort of. That's why museums have curators, rather than just tossing stuff on the walls,
March 27, 2014 at 2:23PM     
Luciana
It seems that most of you found some kind of compromise... I didn't. He loves Japanese art, which is great, and Kabuki portraits. He actually collects them, stalks on-line auction sites to buy old ones, whenever on holiday, we have to find out if there's a Japanese shop around, and all other crazy stuff associated with a serious collector.

The Kabuki portraits scare me. Seriously, it's like there's something evil and malicious about them, like they're out to get me and all I feel looking at them is fear and bad vibes. Their eyes.... seriously the eyes!!!!! They honestly frighten me and no amount of logic ("they are just someone's drawings") can make me get over it.
You can imagine that there was no compromise to be offered here. We tried the 'his office' approach - it meant whenever I went in there I'd be ready to get out. In the end, he agreed to keep them in folders, look and study them and whatever else he does with them and then put them away and not have them displayed in the house. The only one that he has framed and it's in his office is of an actual theatre scene, not a portrait - that's fine, as I can't really distinct their faces and eyes. There's also a black and white photo of this actor - that's harmless and it hangs in his office (or on the floor, in the pix below - unfortunately, I haven't taken photos of his office since we moved in and I'm too lazy to go downstairs to do it now ).
March 27, 2014 at 4:41PM     
John Wolf Fine Art
Sell it! :) I can help.
March 27, 2014 at 4:43PM     
Jason Chuck
I used my difference in art taste to negotiate building my own man cave in the attic, now I can have whatever I want but as I don't hang things she doesn't like throughout the house, she can't either so we negotiate on anything new to make sure we both like it. If she likes a piece I don't, she gets one room in the house for it as well :)
March 27, 2014 at 4:48PM     
Luciana
And that's not all, he likes weird photography - about a month ago he bought these photos of mushrooms by Susan Derges (he loves her style). We have several others by her (I especially love the girl with the water drops http://onlinebrowsing.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/susan-derges.html

But seriously .... mushrooms... ... I just put them on the hall going to the guest room. (I actually love them, they have an undefinable eeriness about them, but don't tell him; it's my turn to buy silly stuff and for him to just accept it!).
March 27, 2014 at 4:54PM     
summilux
One of my favorite photos ( Halloween in the Castro District, SF) is one that DW finds, well, scary. My reply being- it's a Halloween photo. So I get to have it in the living room in October.
While we have lots of common ground in artwork, we both have stuff that one loves and the other hates. Which is why we have areas of our house that are designated his and hers.
March 27, 2014 at 9:29PM     
chookchook2
I waited till we were married and moved house and renovated, then made myself clear.
August 12, 2014 at 12:36AM   
mssteviestevens
Tell him outright, "Ah, no."
August 12, 2014 at 11:06AM     
Trilliums Landscaping & Horticulture
Interesting mix of comments by those who are open minded & sharing and those who are close minded & judgmental - I would never presume to judge my wife's choice of "ART" (or anyone else for that matter)- if they enjoy it, let them have it and learn how to love it!
August 12, 2014 at 1:02PM     
Trilliums Landscaping & Horticulture
chookchook2 I'll see your pink fairy and raise you a photo shopped picture of my wife's kids -& EX-HUSBAND- with their faces replacing the faces of cartoon characters in a well known Disney movie (the picture is hanging on the wall of our shared office).
P.S.
It wouldn't have been so annoying if the ex was a villain-but he's the prince.
August 13, 2014 at 9:38AM     
chookchook2
That's not fair play, you brought out your wild card.
August 13, 2014 at 9:40AM     
Trilliums Landscaping & Horticulture
Had to, the pink fairy was an ace.
August 13, 2014 at 9:48AM     
chookchook2
I never knew what to make of that, the obvious explanation did not apply, according to him, so ?
August 13, 2014 at 9:57AM     
Trilliums Landscaping & Horticulture
Sorry, can't answer that without hijacking this thread to places no one wants to go :)
August 13, 2014 at 10:10AM     
chookchook2
I have to button my lip on threads about closets. So far so good.
August 13, 2014 at 10:13AM     
chookchook2
I left a plant name on your ideabook. Cheers.
August 13, 2014 at 10:14AM     
Larissa Kovyako
i decide what to put on the walls in our house, so such thing would never happen :-)
August 25, 2014 at 6:41PM   
mixing whites and off-whites
My builder wants a decision on paint color by Monday....
Need help with my Optimus F1663 fan
The fan part on my Pedestal fan broke, do you sell...
Kitchen Redo
Posted this on another thread but didn't get a lot...
Need help with accent chair
I am redesigning my family room. I just bought a cream...
Very Small German bath in L shape
I need to fit in a shower cabin, sink, toilet and sink...