Soundproofing a ceiling
ryanfi
March 27, 2014 in Design Dilemma
I am interested to see how much it would cost (ballpark) and how much work it would be to soundproof a already finished ceiling for a condo. Ceiling hight is currently a little over 9 feet.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Royal Barry Wills Associates
The only effective way to accomplish this is to have a suspended GWB ceiling installed everywhere. (Acoustic ceiling tiles will not work). I can't venture a cost but the best system would include resilient channels and two layers of Gypsum Board.
March 27, 2014 at 10:19am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Hi ryanfi. Thank you Royal for the acoustic drop down ceiling information. Believe it or not, cork glue down flooring tiles (4mm) can offer the same sound proofing as a 12" drop down acoustic ceiling = 14 dB. The cost of the glue down cork tiles (White Quartz) can be as little as $1.99/sf + adhesive. I have had several condo owners use the flooring tiles (very light weight material) as acoustic ceiling tiles = just as effective as the much more costly acoustic ceiling.

The "double" gypsum board is not advisable when working towards acoustic isolation. Each panel offers (roughly) 5dB. The best option = 1 layer of Acoustic Drywall (5/8" thick) = 18 dB of acoustic isolation. In Canada these panels can run as much as $100/panel. They most certainly get the job done. For the extra 4 dB of isolation, a cork 6mm tile will have the same effect (Golden Beach 6mm tile = $2.17/sf). With some effort it can be painted white (or any other colour you choose) and it will offer the same 18 dB as the acoustic drywall.

The other option = buy your neighboroughs a cork floor with cork underlay = 20 dB worth of sound isolation...but I think the acoustic drywall will be cheaper.
March 27, 2014 at 10:28am