Need help with my bathroom colors and lighting
irenedrozario
Painted bathroom already and changed all fixtures to chrome. Want to keep counter top and floor tiles (they appear grey in photo but actually pretty closely match counter top colour) but need to change the colour of vanity and medicine cabinet frame. Also have dated lantern lighting..one above middle of bathroom and one above sink (only one electrical source and white fixture with bronze accent and matching chain but wondering if I can somehow incorporate it in bathroom. Please help.
kadodi
You could paint the vanity the same color as the trim. Frankly, I think the bathroom will always stay dated due to the color of the fixtures. Toilets and tubs are really not that expensive. I would change them out if it was my bathroom.
March 27, 2014 at 8:14AM      Thanked by irenedrozario
irenedrozario
Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately I'm unable to make the tub and toilet change at this time. Would I be painting the vanity the same colour as my window trim(which is white) or the tile trim of the floor?
March 27, 2014 at 8:22AM   
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Cabinet hardware should be switched to match new faucet--instant, affordable update. It would help to see the lighting in a photo. Is that the new paint color in your photo? What is the color? With all those cabinets and drawers, do you really need a wall cabinet too? A beautiful mirror would work in there--and it would sit more flush with the wall.
March 27, 2014 at 8:35AM      Thanked by irenedrozario
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
Little touches like making sure the outlet switchplate and light switch plate work together can make a big difference too.
March 27, 2014 at 8:36AM      Thanked by irenedrozario
irenedrozario
Yes I did forget to mention that I will be changing the cabinet hardware to brushed nickel to match. I tried to post the pic with lighting but it didn't go through. I'll try again. The outlet and switch plates will be white.
March 27, 2014 at 8:42AM   
Danielle B. Interiors, Inc.
I would recommend painting the cabinets white to match the white trim around the window. Switching out the cabinet hardware would also be an easy update!
March 27, 2014 at 8:45AM        Thanked by irenedrozario
irenedrozario
Would I also paint my mirror frame white to match?
March 27, 2014 at 8:47AM     
Danielle B. Interiors, Inc.
Yes you could also paint the mirror frame white. However, I would suggest possibly replacing the mirror all together if it is in your budget. You could visit your local home store and search for an inexpensive mirror!
March 27, 2014 at 9:31AM        Thanked by irenedrozario
Stone Harbor Hardware
Danielle and Mrs. Doubtfrie are right, updating the cabinet hardware and switchplates will be an affordable fix. I'd suggest something that coordinates with your faucet and towel bar/paper holder.
March 27, 2014 at 12:25PM        Thanked by irenedrozario
yvonnecmartin
I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace the green fixtures--I think that they are charming.

I suggest that you paint the toilet seat to match the toilet. Take the little knobs to the paint store to find the correct color--custom mixed if need be.

You now need some accessories. Do you plan to have a curtain or roman shade for the window? How about the shower curtain. It being Spring, I am thinking of something with daisies--yellow centers, white petals, and your green for leaves. Or maybe that should be a painting, poster, or set of plaques on the blank wall. You could also consider palms or some other plant-related theme.
March 27, 2014 at 1:31PM        Thanked by irenedrozario
irenedrozario
Some very good ideas from everyone! I plan to have roman shades and think I should go with white
March 27, 2014 at 3:07PM     
Danielle B. Interiors, Inc.
You can never go wrong with white. Crisp, clean, and timeless.
March 27, 2014 at 5:08PM        Thanked by irenedrozario
evrt2041
I 'm new to this but my initial response was an antique white.. Not stark white although that with your current fixture colors would also be good &might give you the desired effect w/I spending a lot
March 27, 2014 at 5:45PM      Thanked by irenedrozario
yvonnecmartin
What are the other colors in your house? I could see brown or black accents with the white and green.

JC Penney has a number of shower curtains with some green.

Here are some images to whet your appetite--not fro Penney's.
March 27, 2014 at 6:34PM        Thanked by irenedrozario
irenedrozario
Those are some very nice shower curtains. Maybe I will bring some plant related theme in there.
March 27, 2014 at 7:45PM   
irenedrozario
My house is very dated so needs lots of work. I'm starting with the bathrooms, then slowly working through the rest
March 27, 2014 at 7:50PM     
quilttale
The shower curtain could give you good inspiration/direction on paint color for the vanity and for the roman blind. Spend a little time shopping for a shower curtain you LOVE. Go from there
March 30, 2014 at 4:50AM        Thanked by irenedrozario
Cheri Jacobsen
i've had my shower curtain for months and am just now getting around to the rest of the bathroom. i'm painting the vanity and wall cabinet dark gray and the walls yellow and white. i'm scared to death to use color but what the heck, it'll be better than what's there. good luck, irenedrozario, let's go forward slowly but boldly!
March 30, 2014 at 6:52AM        Thanked by irenedrozario
irenedrozario
Thanks Cheri. You definitely are brave! What a great colour combo! I'm having a tough time finding a curtain I really like. Some are too busy and others just wash out the whole bathroom. I'm thinking green leaves or palms but looking for a bit of chocolate in the design. Don't want to buy online cause can't really see colors properly. I'll keep searching.
March 30, 2014 at 7:12AM     
Jolene
After you paint etc could you replace just the toilet and have a longer curtain that hides the tub or have it re glazed?
March 30, 2014 at 7:32AM   
chesterfieldcoats
We have the old grey fixtures in our bathroom and a melamine cabinet that was white. I did the basic swapping of hardware and decorative updates and painted three times; none of the colours were right. I finally paid for a colour consultation ($85 for the whole house) and can't stress what a difference it made! The bathroom is beautiful and the colours tie into the rest of the house perfectly. We even avoided painting our brick fireplace in the family room by painting out the walls on each side, now I love the grey brick. Even if the consult had cost twice that, it would have been cheaper than painting the wrong colour so many times and now we have a plan for flooring and colours for the rest of the house as we can afford it.
March 30, 2014 at 7:57AM   
Holly Daley
Have you looked at Robern medicine cabinets? They are expensive; but you get a lot od options and it's a long term investment of high quality.
March 30, 2014 at 8:26AM     
ohsuyque
FYI: I redid a friends bathroom and replaced the outdated mirrors with some from Ross. They looked great and cost half what Lowes wanted for one.
March 30, 2014 at 9:00AM   
uberv
Are you sure you want to keep the toilet? It probably uses 3 gallons or more per flush versus the 1.24 gallon which is standard. A new one from a big box store is not very expensive and they can arrange for installation. There are professionals who can refinish the tub for less than a new one and you would not need to disturb the tile surrounding it.
March 30, 2014 at 10:32AM   
ronzdezines
OK ready...after studying your bathroom...I think everything so far is very neutral and needs a lot of pop in color contrasts. But I'm not sure from the pics exactly what color you painted the walls? Looks baby blue?? Hope not though!
I'd definitely paint the walls a bold deep gray, and use white trim throughout.
The medicine chest...Remove and use a free hanging mirror in silver/brushed silver.
The floor tiles and vanity top look great. The vanity itself...way dated. At the least, they need to be painted...in time and w the extra $ replaced. Or just replace the facing of the doors and drawers. Painting them as is ...go white bright white as in the trim. W the new hardware in your chrome/brushed..it will look great. Sounds like you have selected your blind in white ...cool...stay w that. As for the tub enclosure...personally not a fan of shower curtains...Go to an outlet store, if you have a Grossmans Bargain Outlet nearby...They have great finds at bargain prices. Silver w frosted glass would look hot! Accessorize in the towels, good quality thick ones, even just for show at least...in the bright white or deep as the counter and floors. Then just some simple clean things on vanity top...A tray or glass dish, w a clear vase filled w colored marbles/gems, from the dollar store even. A nice stack of hand towels, and your a low planter w live cacti/succulents in it which will also tie in w the green/gray colors....Keep it clean and simple on top...of course you will need a corner for your everyday things too but keep them under control in the drawers etc....No throw rugs on floors as they just make it look old fashioned, keep your bath mats in the closet or under sink rolled up.
Hope you like...I did my bathroom in gray/turquoise and white and love it. Here's a pic or two.
March 30, 2014 at 2:44PM        Thanked by irenedrozario
klmt
If you can match the seat to the toilet color, I don't think I'd be concerned with changing the color of the toilet & tub - they look in the pics to be a lovely soft color that blends well with the floor, and white might look garish against that tile. I can't really tell if it's a gray or green, but it does appear to blend nicely. Is the current cabinetry a driftwood-looking color? If it is, I'm not sure I'd paint it. Just change the pulls to something stylish, and make your big change something to do with the med cab and lighting. It's not difficult to install additional wiring, and you can get an electrician with money you're saving on other things. IF you left the driftwood cabs, I think that third JCPenny shower curtain somebody posted above, because it has a touch of black in it and muted greens, would look great (or something else with those colors.) By the time you update the mirror and 'dress' the vanity area, add towels and shower curtain, you will have a brand new look even without painting the cabs. If you DO paint them, what about matching the tub/toilet? Play it up if it's not something you want to change. I've always found that you can turn a problem into a good feature often with better results than by trying to hide it. For example, I had a very dark interior room that you had to pass thru to get anywhere in the house almost, and there was no way to put in a skylight because it was on the ground floor, skytube either - so I painted it a dark color and installed dramatic lighting and individually lit pieces of art. That said, uberv is correct - that toilet may use more water than toilets today use. However, if you want to correct that, just put a milk jug of water in the tank - changing the toilet isn't really necessary for water savings. Plus, where I live we have a lot of water restrictions and spent a fortune on hi-tech low flush toilets. They don't work most of the time - you have to flush 2 or even 3 times. Kohlers, no less. Anyway, whatever you decide, I hope you'll post 'after' pics and let us all see the finished product. Have a look at vanities on Houzz to get ideas for lighting and accessorizing that area. One last thought - I find I really enjoy art in the bath - vertical pieces on either end of the vanity and maybe even a large pce opposite the tub.
March 30, 2014 at 5:12PM        Thanked by irenedrozario
klmt
Oh - alternatively - if you can replace the doors only on the cabs, then paint, that would be great because the door style is dated - shaker would be good.
March 30, 2014 at 5:16PM      Thanked by irenedrozario
lmstransk
Personally, I would stay away from those JC Penney Shower curtains. Go with white walls to match the trim. Paint the cabinets to match the window trim, semi-gloss or satin. Put up a thick, crisp white shower curtain with a little bit of texture if you can find it. Get some towels with some simple sage green embroidery to match your toilet and tub and countertop. I would take some silver acrylic paint from the craft store (the kind in the squeeze bottle) and rub it into the mirror frame and see how that looks. It will fill in the cracks and the edges but it won't be *totally* perfect. If you hate it you can always paint over it...but I think it will keep a quality, vintage feel, which is nice. Don't worry about the toilet seat. Once the bathroom is finished it will look like a design choice. Ha! :)
March 30, 2014 at 6:25PM        Thanked by irenedrozario
lynln
I really like the idea of rubbing some silver leaf or craft paint into the medicine cabinet frame. I just did that on some decorative table legs and it changed them dramatically. Then use a tiny bit of gold in spots dabbed on with a sponge or wadded up paper towel. Then before it dries come back and smear it lightly so you can still see silver. These were black before I painted them.
April 2, 2014 at 9:12AM   
ohsuyque
I agree with Imstransk, I think you should stick with a white shower curtain, one with texture, and pale green towels, it would make the bathroom feel really spa like and a little zen. A perfect place to relax and pamper yourself. I myself am also leaning toward that look for my own bathroom. I am feeling the need to streamline and simplify my home.
April 2, 2014 at 9:43AM     
Denise Marchand
I love the spa/zen idea for this bath, but it could really use some design details.

Paint the vanity cabinet bright white, this will clean up the green fixtures already there, as the color is not so bad, and I like the floor you installed.

Sorry, but the medicine cabinet needs to go. This is the single most aging item. Here are some sketches showing a round mirror and a shelving niche on the left to store those daily items and keep the vanity top clear, except for maybe three glass jars for q-tips, cotton balls, etc. The wall above the vanity would be fantastic with "chicklet" glass tiles from the top of the vanity backsplash to the ceiling. See attached pics. Don't try to match the tiles to your vanity top. The color should be a variation of the green. Don't know what your existing lighting looks like, but these pendants are very inexpensive.

The wall with the toilet shouldn't be ignored. Install 1/2" thick clear glass shelves over the toilet. I install small glass shelves with simple 1/2" aluminum angles on the ends which is easy and can't see the angles. Tile behind the toilet using the same tile as over the vanity. This little detail is unexpected and will pull the bathroom together. Good idea to try to find a green toilet seat, or buy a cheap wood one and spray paint it. Since the window is off center, Roman Shades should go wall to wall and ceiling to about 1" above glass shelf. I agree with everyone who suggested the white shower curtain (make sure you use the polished chrome hooks with the little sliver balls - easy to find).

As far as the glass mosaic tiles are concerned, here are some pics for inspiration.
April 3, 2014 at 1:16AM        Thanked by irenedrozario
Denise Marchand
Here are tile suggestions
April 3, 2014 at 1:17AM        Thanked by irenedrozario
Need help with my bathroom vanity lighting.
I have brushed nickel faucets for the double sinks....
Need help with my bathroom lighting
Can the light fixture lights hang over the mirror a...
I need help with my wall color in my bathroom
I need help with the wall color in my masterbathroom...
HELP! Need color and decorating ideas for my new Master Bathroom!
Here is my new Master Bath.... I will be adding a chandelier...
Pergola Design Dilemma..
So we had a pergola design that we loved (first photo)...
Bathroom lighting
I am locking at long, vertical wall lights between...
Paint first or decorate first?
My dilemma is, do I paint now when my painter can fit...
Floor color in colorful kitchen?
We are making this kitchen. Wondering what floor color...