Where do i go from here? Needs a pop of colour but what colour?
nimisMarch 27, 2014
I also need advice re: Curtains: What colour curtains would you use? i have a brushed gold mirror over the fireplace. I'm also planning on installing a new glass chandelier. Any ideas regarding pop of colour?
Cancork Floor Inc.
The fireplace is a strong "black box" on the wall. I would love to see it balanced out with an accent rug or strong coffee table. A pop of colour could be your gold brushed mirror. I would see if the little metal railings on the hearth could be switched out to the brushed gold. Smoked-glass coffee table would help...but I think the gold is going in the wrong direction. Your room is "Argentina" flag colouring which would do well with silver accents and maybe a hint of chatreuse (Granny Smith Apple green to the rest of us) just to keep you on your toes. A glossy white table would also suit...but the black fireplace is giving me some problems.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 5:13PM
studio10001
There are a few things you can do with paint to balance out the fireplace; the thinnest of black outlines painted on each stripe in the wallpaper would make a very strong feature. For added drama, include the moldings. I also think the lower white could be a warmer one, to pick up the background of the wallpaper.
Silk, or faux silk drapes would look very well with your brocade, and deeper shades of the colours you already have - silver, blue, cream, black and a touch of gold/ bronze - can be added to cushions and drapery, hardware and metal legs on occasional tables for added interest. I think your chandelier could look well with those changes made, but would like to know what you dislike about it, or hope for in changing it out. Are you headed for a different overall style, or looking to refresh?
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 5:31PM
Rachel H
I feel like the wall below the chair rail should be gray instead of white. The trim needs to pop, not all blend together.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 5:35PM
Arbutus Interiors
I agree a warmer white below the chair rail would work. Also a white Flokati rug would ground the sofa well and add the right amount of texture. sometimes adding texture works more effectively than adding an accent color.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 5:53PM
edithsmom
Like the advice you have been given about re-painting the lower part of your walls a cream (same as the cream stripe in the top part), but I also think you might want to change your pillow covers to something more sparkling...the present ones aren't going well with the sofa in my opinion.
    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 7:39PM
claudiann
I think your colors are restful so I would work with those and not pop a color. Maybe some interesting artwork that had some color in it, but I think you should go for a more elegant calm look. By the way, I like the chandelier you have with the fireplace. I think I would paint the lower part of your wall the same blue as is in the top part. Then I would add some black accents in glass and lamps. Curtains that have a sheen or gold thread would be nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:05PM
nimis
Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions, all very helpful. I have attached a slightly updated photo. The black fireplace is an issue for me also, ideally i wanted to remove it and replace with a cream marble fireplace but it wasn't possible due to budget restrictions. Thanks again.
    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 1:48AM
nimis
That's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm also going to replace the fender. Think this will have a much better impact. Many thanks.
    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 2:35PM
flair lighting
just paint and re use that fixture...it could look great silver! also that tiny rug in front of the fire place just doesn't work for me...
    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 2:54PM
flair lighting
you can by pre made fire place mantels, or surrounds if you will. to go around and beef up the fire place, and also give it some white to offset the black box you have there now.
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 2:59PM
    Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 3:12PM
What colours do I use?
I desperately need help with choosing colours for my...
Nikki Re
What colour to go with this wallpaper for a tweenie daughter?
http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/wallpaper-wall-stickers/wallpaper/pinks/Leopard-Print-Wallpaper-in-Pink-and-Black-with-a-Textured-finish-by-A-S-Creation-13168608 Hi...
Arti Rumpal
Where to go from here?
Hi! We've been working on refreshing our family...
gwnorth
Need help with kitchen wall color
Currently have almond cabinets that I can't change....
rguilmette
curb appeal HELP!!
I never wanted to buy a split level but with our budget...
bridgetgv
Kitchen cabinet dilemna
Kitchen -- can't decide. Does vanilla cream fall into...
1pierina
What trim color to choose to match Sherwin Williams Zircon (SW7667)?
HELP! My husband and I have chosen Sherwin Williams'...
emma0217
French doors or Sliders?
I am remodeling a house and am wondering if there is...
mattymartin